Rugby World Cup 2019

12345679»

Comments

• Was too busy to watch. Sounds like I didn't miss a classic.

It's a competitive game rugby where the goal is to win. If you want a pretty game all the time try round ball. Seriously, as an Englishman I wanted England to win. They didn't, well played SA.

Must admit I didn't think England would win. After last week I expected them to fall short. It's the english way I think. Good game before a bad one.

As someone who admits he knows nowt about the game compared to someone on here I think it's been a good WC. Japan did the game proud as a team and organisers. Some teams turned up, others didn't (Ireland and Wales I'm thinking of). I didn't expect England to get past the quarter finals personally. NZ final I expected. Wasn't sure who against them. SA vs England final? I didn't expect either to reach that stage. Did anyone?

My conclusion was that it's been a good WC and Japan's performance pleased the neutrals I think.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    Fair

It was good in so much as it was an impressive performance from South Africa.

Just sucks when it's happening to you
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I suppose it was at least mathematically interesting, first rugby world cup with intransitivity demonstrated... NZ beat SA, Eng beat NZ, SA beat Eng.....

but yeah, mostly just bitter that 12 years after the last time SA do a number on us again.
  • ddraver
    Are people really being little bitches about taking the losers medals off? Doesn't that always happen?
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    ddraver said:

Are people really being little bitches about taking the losers medals off? Doesn't that always happen?

Are they? First I've heard of it.
  • ddraver
    ...might be the trouble with following mostly Cyclists on twitter....
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    It's on a Wales Online article and I've seen people mention on Facebook now but I agree with you and have no issue with it. It's common place in World Cups in other sports and so it should be, winning is all that matters in a World Cup. It doesn't help that the medals have traditionally been known as losers' medals.
  • Overall, a hugely disappointing game from England, the loss of Sinckler so early was a big dent in England’s gameplan but be in no doubt South Africa were by a considerable distance the better team

From a different perspective England are in a far better place than four years ago , players such as Itoje, Underhill and Curry still have long careers (hopefully) and plenty of improvement in front of them

Still in two years time the Lions will be touring South Africa, can’t wait!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    Setting aside for a moment the #ABE... that was a good watch for the neutral. Boks played it dead right. Pack power, de Klerk was into everything, and Vermeulen thoroughly deserved his man of the match. (Says a former #8 :) ) Plus the 2 tries were a delight to watch, indeed the 2nd by Kolbe drew a 'wow' round these parts.

Been some really good games in this World Cup.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589

:)
  • ddraver
    edited November 2019
    "Faf de Klerk is enjoying South Africa's win very much 🏆" https://twitter.com/i/events/1190676321145253888

Meeting a prince in your Keck's is a mood...

- @ddraver