Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    Michael Leitch seems a funny name for a Japanese person.

Bit like Faletau for a Welshman or Tuilagi / Vunipola for an English person then.

The pleasing thing for me is that after building a side on residency rule players more and more Japanese players are coming through (in the same way Italy did things). I have more of an issue when tier one countries poach the best coming through from tier two countries myself.
  • Go back far enough there would be no white man names on the islands of Aotearoa neither. How many people in top flight sport from the nations if the British isles play for the land of a grandparent instead of their parents/ nation if birth?

Does it really matter when you still get good games if international rugby from those nations stolen from? I also think all blacks could quite possibly spare a few top flight sportsmen and still field a world best side come the WC. Not so if England and Wales did that i reckon.
  • Go back far enough there would be no white man names on the islands of Aotearoa neither. How many people in top flight sport from the nations if the British isles play for the land of a grandparent instead of their parents/ nation if birth?

Does it really matter when you still get good games if international rugby from those nations stolen from? I also think all blacks could quite possibly spare a few top flight sportsmen and still field a world best side come the WC. Not so if England and Wales did that i reckon.

Most are on residency grounds. International sport should not be about poaching other countries talent, that is one of the things that make it stand out from club/trade teams. Buying up talent from poorer countries is pretty bad behaviour
  • Pross wrote:

Bit like Faletau for a Welshman or Tuilagi / Vunipola for an English person then.

The pleasing thing for me is that after building a side on residency rule players more and more Japanese players are coming through (in the same way Italy did things). I have more of an issue when tier one countries poach the best coming through from tier two countries myself.

yup - exactly.

also no different than Archer the cricketering man.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,040
    Pross wrote:

yup - exactly.

Tricky one for you tomorrow MF, given that you've been supporting Australia on the sporting front for the last few weeks. Go convicts! :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

yup - exactly.

Tricky one for you tomorrow MF, given that you've been supporting Australia on the sporting front for the last few weeks. Go convicts! :wink:

i know - not sure even at this time which way to go. Tricky stuff!

Family over heart?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Jonathan Joseph, the worlds best No. 13...
    I know JJ’s father very well. Thought you might like to know I passed your comment on to him. Apparently JJ didn’t think he had that great a game, so maybe more to come...?!
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Pross
    The high tackle law still being enforced inconsistently. How did Hooper not get at least a yellow for that tackle on Biggar? He could clearly see that Biggar didn't have the ball but then went ahead with the 'tackle' using his shoulder and no arms.
  • Biggar tackle was, for me, a yellow. The forearm smash later looked clearly straight to the throat for my money.

Such things may be avoided by not leading with the forearm.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Well trouble is they are reviewing just about every decision and soon it'll be touch rugby. Hooper lucky not to get yellow but so was Adams, that was as bad. Kerevi never a penalty, how can ball carriers avoid hitting oncoming players and if you review in slo-mo there's dozens of similar incidents.
  • You can avoid them by not leading with your forearm.
  • Pross
    Biggar tackle was, for me, a yellow. The forearm smash later looked clearly straight to the throat for my money.

Such things may be avoided by not leading with the forearm.

I was giving the benefit of the doubt on that one, thought he may have been going for a hand off without having enough space.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,362
    crispybug2 wrote:
    The world would be a better place if everyone played rugby like Japan

This.

How utterly, utterly marvellous was that? Incredible discipline, unbreakable willpower and no lack of skill all came together. Quite outstanding - I couldn't help but smile for the whole match.

Wales/Aus was a great game . . . Wales look the real deal. I suspect it's now or never for Wales and that they will give this world cup one hell of a lash. As a fan of England, I would rather play any other team in the tournament than Wales.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    laurentian wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    The world would be a better place if everyone played rugby like Japan

This.

How utterly, utterly marvellous was that? Incredible discipline, unbreakable willpower and no lack of skill all came together. Quite outstanding - I couldn't help but smile for the whole match.

Wales/Aus was a great game . . . Wales look the real deal. I suspect it's now or never for Wales and that they will give this world cup one hell of a lash. As a fan of England, I would rather play any other team in the tournament than Wales.

I've been waxing lyrical about the way Japan play rugby for 20 years. Previously they didn't have the skills or physical attributes to success, but the way they approached the game was always something I loved. The might lose 100-0 but they were my second favourite team to watch.

Now, they are getting better I really, really, really hope they don't change that approach in order to chase success because the rugby world will be far less interesting as a result.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    I only hope for the good of the tournament that neither Scotland nor Samoa progress any further.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    211968772_7291-5_RWC19-Pool-B-SA-Italy_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqwvkV6XTHOLaZwP-2f_zGaTNy_NqzO0btOd_tQizhKLQ.jpg
  • Excellent reffing from Barnes today, save that should be 2 reds.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I guess you have to recognise that it wouldn't have been a contest at all with the two reds (well, not that it was in any case), but I'd have perhaps gone for a red and yellow.
  • Another red, Argentine down to 14.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    I guess you have to recognise that it wouldn't have been a contest at all with the two reds (well, not that it was in any case), but I'd have perhaps gone for a red and yellow.

Contests shouldn't come into it. Besides, it was a bit late for it to be a contest.
  • Pross
    This SA v Canada match looks like it's going to be a really embarrassing rout - 3 tries in 10 minutes and Canada look like they've got no answer. The SA 10's kicking routine is the most annoying I've seen, actually got warned to be quicker by the ref which I haven't seen before.
  • Pross
    Try bonus in 17 minutes. This looks like getting over 100 points as the Boks players are looking to become first choice.

Edit - make that 5 tries in 20, length of the field try from the restart, hat trick for the scrum half.
  • Pross
    Scoring rate slowed down, 6 tries with 37 minutes gone but Canada have had a red card. It took them over 20 minutes to have their first carry by which time SA had 5 tries!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,395
    The comeback is on...
  • laurentian
    All looking easy enough for Scotland.

21 - 0 up at half time vs Russia
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian wrote:
    All looking easy enough for Scotland.

21 - 0 up at half time vs Russia

42 - 0 after 57 minutes. Nothing spectacular from Scotland, just a woeful defensive performance from the Russians.
  • Pretty physical Wales - Fiji first half.
  • Pross
    Pretty physical Wales - Fiji first half.

Fiji got off to a flier, Wales gradually getting back in control. Wales possibly lucky to get just a yellow, the Fiji player just about landed on their back not head - didn't get a decent look at the Fiji yellow and the mitigation there.
  • Pross
    Not good for Wales, back behind with another man in bin and Biggar off injured and possibly out of the tournament as he appeared to get knocked out (jogged off the pitch in the end though).
  • laurentian
    Fiji in front gor a short while before Wales score to lead 22-17 . . . Fiji going for it though . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP