Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• I think the main problem with England sport isn't the fans, it's the press.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I think the main problem with England sport isn't the fans, it's the press.

I think you will find it is the fans that are pissed up, fighting with the police and not the sports journalists, there on a freebie.
  • Ballysmate wrote:

I think you will find it is the fans that are pissed up, fighting with the police and not the sports journalists, there on a freebie.

Are we still discussing rugby?
    While there seem to be plenty of instances of this in football, it is surely much rarer in rugby
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    diplodicus wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

While there seem to be plenty of instances of this in football, it is surely much rarer in rugby

Thread seemed to veer off onto football fans.
  • Was that Steveo moving the goalposts? :D
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    edited October 2019
    Certainly one of his deflections. :D
  • diplodicus wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I meant the arrogance of England assuming we would win everything.

I think the public are pretty conservative when discussing our likelihood of winning.

As for the fans - probably something like all cyclists skip red lights, ride on the pavement etc.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Oh dear. Good for the tournament to have the hosts going well. But this hurts.

Perhaps Cake Stoppers can start a campaign claiming that the result was only advisory :wink:
    :D Typed that during the match when the 3rd Japanese try went over. Did not look at all good then for Scotland. Thought overall was a good game, though Japan did shut it down towards the end, as they should have.

But hey, Scotland innit. Scots supporters are used to their team getting beaten, just accept and get on with enjoying the experiences, unlike Ingerlaand 'fans' who tend to resort to civil disturbance. Ok, crossing over to kickball people there, but point remains valid.
    At least Scotland got to the RWC, unlike in the footy :wink:

Only because they got their by default.

As we can see from this WC, if there was a qualification process to filter it down to the good teams there is a good chance they would have been a RWC spectator
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Perhaps Cake Stoppers can start a campaign claiming that the result was only advisory :wink:
    :D Typed that during the match when the 3rd Japanese try went over. Did not look at all good then for Scotland. Thought overall was a good game, though Japan did shut it down towards the end, as they should have.

But hey, Scotland innit. Scots supporters are used to their team getting beaten, just accept and get on with enjoying the experiences, unlike Ingerlaand 'fans' who tend to resort to civil disturbance. Ok, crossing over to kickball people there, but point remains valid.

As we can see from this WC, if there was a qualification process to filter it down to the good teams there is a good chance they would have been a RWC spectator

That's not fair, they are definitely better than Russia.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

As we can see from the last 4 years worth of results across every competition, if there was a qualification process to filter it down to the good teams there is a good chance they would have been a RWC spectator

ftfy - hope you don't mind.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    First being crushed at throughout the RWC and then this. Its not been a good few days for them....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ary-action

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,146
    First being crushed at throughout the RWC and then this. Its not been a good few days for them....

The SRU haven't learned, they're making fresh threats

https://newsthump.com/2019/10/13/scotland-threaten-legal-action-against-world-rugby-for-being-forced-to-humiliate-themselves-against-japan/

;)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,490
    The scary part about that is that their last two results against England have been a draw and a win. :oops:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    I actually thought Scotland played well in patches and once they managed to slow the game down a bit, forcing the Japanese into more rucks where they look less comfortable. Don't forget Japan also beat Ireland who were the number 1 ranked team coming into the tournament. They play really top quality high pace rugby, I would say only NZ are better than them with ball in hand and off-loading in the tackle but look a bit more vulnerable once the ball is on the ground and the opposition counter-ruck hard.
  • QF predictions - always good for a laugh.

ENG/AUS and WALES/FRA - close could go either way. SA be too strong for Japan I'd say and unfortunately NZ will hammer IRE.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pross wrote:

The SRU haven't learned, they're making fresh threats

https://newsthump.com/2019/10/13/scotland-threaten-legal-action-against-world-rugby-for-being-forced-to-humiliate-themselves-against-japan/

;)

:D

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    QF predictions - always good for a laugh.

ENG/AUS and WALES/FRA - close could go either way. SA be too strong for Japan I'd say and unfortunately NZ will hammer IRE.

Should be three good games I reckon (France shouldn't present Wales with too many problems, Wales playing like a side that will win *shudder*)

ENG/AUS will come down to one or two induvidual performances either way

NZ/IRE - can Ireland pull it off a third time? Recent history not on their side but they seem to find another gear against the All Blacks

SA/JPN - SA should win in paper but Japan appear not to have read the paper this year - Nothing against SA, but God it would be great if they won...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,490
    AUS/NZ/Wales/JPN
    NZ/Wales
    NZ (Assuming that is how the draw works?)
    That said, pretty much any game could go the other way. Good for the game.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    Should be three good games I reckon (France shouldn't present Wales with too many problems, Wales playing like a side that will win *shudder*)

Not sure about that, we were poor in 3 games and only raised it against Australia. Had possibly the easiest group. That said the team has developed that knack of getting wins when it counts and have beaten all the other teams left in the competition over the passed 12 months other than Japan and NZ who they haven't played. I still think NZ are likely to have a psychological edge on them.
  • ddraver
    ....yeeeeeah but France tho....

I know they have a habit of pulling an epic performance out of nowhere at World Cups but that's usually just only against New Zealand and in/immediately after an epic storm. Wales are fully used to such Northern Hemisphere shenanigans.

If the Aussies can knock the ABs out for them, I don't see anyone beating them (England post-2003 have a habit of choking, unfortunately)
    - @ddraver
  • No team has lost a group stage match and gone on to win the WC....yet.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Right then quarter finals, should be some good games.

I like Englands selection. I think Aus place too much emphasis on the Pocock and Hooper partnership and Curry Underhill will be right up for that matchup.

*watch Hooper and Pocock run rings around us now*
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • I'm concerned by how strong Aus were in 2nd half against Wales, like NZ they are an 80 min team. Eng have a strong bench and will certainly need it.

Pressure will be immense for sure, if Eng click then will win but if Aus get ahead then be a tough game.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Strong start by Australia but two tries in two minutes by England have hopefully settled some nerves
  • ddraver
    So help me if we go out of Europe and out of the World Cup on the same day....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Well...that's 1 from 2...and rather encouraging
    - @ddraver
  • crispybug2
    England 40-16 Australia

Pretty comprehensive performance by England, nobody left in the competition will fancy playing them!
  • Australia did look pretty intimidating at times and I have to say we did superbly to hold them back with great discipline as well.
  • crispybug2
    Now hopefully Ireland will do a number on New Zealand

I’m pretty sure that it won’t happen but you never know
  • ddraver
    Poor Ireland...

I really wanted them to so well this year, been a bit of a fail really... :cry:
    - @ddraver