Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• The aspect nobody appears to have touched on here is that the teams who reach the next stage by only playing three games are being handed an advantage over those playing four.

Extra rest time between games and of course less chance of injury. You could argue that England - France would have been the toughest group game for both sides and they have effectively got through by beating the group "cannon fodder" (No disrespect meant to the other teams).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    The aspect nobody appears to have touched on here is that the teams who reach the next stage by only playing three games are being handed an advantage over those playing four.

Extra rest time between games and of course less chance of injury. You could argue that England - France would have been the toughest group game for both sides and they have effectively got through by beating the group "cannon fodder" (No disrespect meant to the other teams).

You mean cannon fodder like Argentina who were semi-finalists in the last RWC and narrowly lost to both NZ and Aus in the recent rugby championship?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    The aspect nobody appears to have touched on here is that the teams who reach the next stage by only playing three games are being handed an advantage over those playing four.

Conversely you could argue that England and/or France have suffered by having less competitive build up to the knock out stages.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    I think they have (/had to) play. Ok so it could not be in the right stadium or even in front of any crowds but 15 v 15* had to happen somewhere...

There's no other way that this cannot overshadow the whole competition now. It just looks half assed.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I think many people do not appreciate how powerful typhoons are. Once they have their eyes opened they will stop criticising the decisions that have been taken.
  • I think many people do not appreciate how powerful typhoons are. Once they have their eyes opened they will stop criticising the decisions that have been taken.

I think it is the more the lack of a contingency plan which is being discussed here not the severity of a typhoon.
  • Hmmm dunno, you can say those having played only 3 games have an advantage but then there is a case for in Englands case of being seriously under cooked. They had a comparatively easy game against Arg d/t red card and missing playing FRA in final pool game means when they play Aus(most likely), could be slightly under cooked match wise.

No doubt the nay saying will have opposite view, personally I'm just gutted match wasn't on as I'd have liked to watch it. Also, by topping group they now have scenario of a potentially harder route to final should it pan out as Aus in QF, thenNZ in semi and SA in final. All this on the big assumption they get through of course! I reckon a tactical loss to FRA might have been better! :lol:

Also, there's a few conspiracy theories around that IRB have cancelled matches to make it easier for NZ and Eng etc, obviously utter bollocks. Don't know if anyone has actually experienced a typhoon or hurricane (I have), let's just say not to be taken likely.

Finally, I hope Japan Scotland match goes on, Japan deserve the chance to showcase to world and their home support as have been excellent and Scotland deserve chance to qualify. Japan I reckon would/should win but be a cracking match whatever.
  • Well it’s on after all. I think the Japanese clean organised game is not going to provide the chaos that Scotland believe they can thrive on.

It should be interesting.
  • Pross
    Wales again playing poorly against a lower tier team. Uruguay played well though and it would be nice to at least see them getting regular tour matches with the top tier teams.
  • Pross wrote:
    Wales again playing poorly against a lower tier team. Uruguay played well though and it would be nice to at least see them getting regular tour matches with the top tier teams.

Wales were in complete control of the game, until the forward passes, knock-ons, turn overs and Hadleigh Parkes :roll:
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    The world would be a better place if everyone played rugby like Japan

Yes!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,569
    Can we bring Japan into the Six Nations please!
  • Pross
    Japan really are a top flight rugby team now. With ball in hand they are like the All Blacks. It's going to be hard for Scotland to turn this around especially as they have to win by more than 7 points. No-one is going to want to play them going forward.
  • Pross
    Talk about having your pocket picked, superb rip by the winger there. Scots now need two BPs and win now.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,590
    Oh dear. Good for the tournament to have the hosts going well. But this hurts.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    japan vs s.a. next up

now thats cool. this is why mf likes these competitions.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Best game of the tournament
  • Japan deserved that, what a game. Glad it was decided on the pitch and still proud of that performance. Japan play brilliant rugby eh?
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    So....

NZ v Ire
    Jpn v SA
    Eng v Aus
    Wal v Fra

All of those could easily go either way. Personally I'd love to see wins for Wales, Japan and Australia.
  • Pross
    Decent comeback by Scotland, Japan looked a bit suspect at the breakdown and were turned over by a few counter rucks.

Jamie Ritchie played well for Scotland but looks liable to get himself get sent off in a pressure situation. There seemed to be an incident that didn't get reviewed in the run up to the first Scotland try where he pinned the Japanese player down with an arm on the throat (could be wrong as it didn't get replayed) and then he had a dig at their outside half towards the end.
  • Matthewfalle
    wales
    japan
    aus
    nz

quarters - that would be brilliant.

any chance of a jpn/nz final or does the draw run against that?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wales
    japan
    aus
    nz

Yes, opposite sides of the draw I think (assuming QF1 etc are as listed on the RWC website)

I'd love to see a Wales Japan semi, obviously with Wales progressing.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Matthewfalle
    well, naturally Wales will win it - something that obvious surely didn't need to be posted?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Fair play to Scotland, they made a game of it - Japan have got to learn not to take their foot off the gas once they've got a weaker team beaten.
  • wales
    japan
    aus
    nz

There are eight teams in a quarter final!
  • Matthewfalle
    wales
    japan
    aus
    nz

There are eight teams in a quarter final!

Yeah, but we’re not worried about the the other four- not exactly cool are they?

I may also have wanted to type semis but hey, what’s accuracy got to do with it? :D:D

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    orraloon wrote:

Perhaps Cake Stoppers can start a campaign claiming that the result was only advisory :wink:
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Perhaps Cake Stoppers can start a campaign claiming that the result was only advisory :wink:

Go to the supreme court and get them to rule that it never happened, and was actually called off? Two points better than none?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,590
    Ballysmate wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

:D Typed that during the match when the 3rd Japanese try went over. Did not look at all good then for Scotland. Thought overall was a good game, though Japan did shut it down towards the end, as they should have.

But hey, Scotland innit. Scots supporters are used to their team getting beaten, just accept and get on with enjoying the experiences, unlike Ingerlaand 'fans' who tend to resort to civil disturbance. Ok, crossing over to kickball people there, but point remains valid.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,040
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

:D Typed that during the match when the 3rd Japanese try went over. Did not look at all good then for Scotland. Thought overall was a good game, though Japan did shut it down towards the end, as they should have.

But hey, Scotland innit. Scots supporters are used to their team getting beaten, just accept and get on with enjoying the experiences, unlike Ingerlaand 'fans' who tend to resort to civil disturbance. Ok, crossing over to kickball people there, but point remains valid.
    At least Scotland got to the RWC, unlike in the footy :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]