TDF 2019, Stage 18: Embrun > Valloire 25/07/2019 - 208 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    hypster wrote:
    I'm not sure what valley you're alluding to never having ridden that area but looking at the profile of the route it pretty much looks downhill all the way from the top of l'Iseran to the foot of the Tignes climb.

The gradients of that final climb don't look to me like they will trouble Alaphilippe in the mood he's in so they need to distance him well before that.

From la Fornet to the start of the climb to Tignes it is a false flat. As you say I doubt the climb into Tignes will bother him so they have to drop him around 5-6km from the summit of the Iseran where it is tough - actually after Bonneval it is pretty hard and they really need to put him to the sword, as you say.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    ddraver wrote:
    Hefty fine but not time penalty apparently.

French conspiracy all over again... ;)

Perhaps the race jury gave him voucher for a "buy one, get a dozen free", tomorrow. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,475
    gsk82 wrote:
    The problem with this race is that theres only 1 winner in contention. He happens to be the weakest rider at this stage in the race. The rest aren't winners, just good riders

Yohan Offredo? :wink:

No obviously you mean Geraint.
    Can't see how you figure he was the weakest today, given he was the only other rider to mount any sort of an attack.

I meant Alaphillipe. I don't think Thomas has a winners mentality. I feel like he's playing leader while Froomes out
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Surely Thomas can’t risk leaving it all until Saturday? He’s got to aim to get yellow tomorrow
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    Surely Thomas can’t risk leaving it all until Saturday? He’s got to aim to get yellow tomorrow

He’s now second fiddle to Bernal.
  • blazing_saddles

5 seconds does seem to be all that it takes for somebody to make this call.
    The same thing was said back on stage 3.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980

Explain to me where he can make time on Bernal?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Tomorrows false flat finish should suit him. I expect Kruijswijk is eyeing it up as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2019
    Well...

I have now replenished my depleted calories...

And what a day! The heat up the Lautaret was horrible, definitely my worse time up there, it made the Galibier seem nice.

Got a great spot and managed to avoid most of the chumps, minus the Canadians in their full body stockings.

EAVop-PYXYAA25-3.jpg

Canadian chumps...

EAVoz-QMXo-AADC74.jpg

Fish!

EAVp-NOSWk-AAk-Fo-Q.jpg

EAVq-C-4-XUAAVh2-I.jpg

EAVs-Erx-X4-AA4-z8.jpg

EAVs-Ovh-XUAA-v-HJ.jpg

EAVu-L43-XYAA712-K.jpg

EAVsgct-Ws-AITk-E4.jpg

EAVt-QTa-Xs-AUGh-VD.jpg

EAVt-Ygk-X4-AASNJ5.jpg

Video of Nairo https://twitter.com/PollyWilkins/status/1154445201680695297 and the Maillot Jaune group https://twitter.com/PollyWilkins/status/1154447074538250240 including the short lived attack by Thomas, I was just before Alaphilppe got dropped...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles

Explain to me where he can make time on Bernal?

Not where, how.
    The answer is by attacking first.
    Or are you trying to tell us that Bernal would try and chase him down?

I'm more inclined to find an answer to the question as to why Kwiato is so rubbish, this Tour.
  • Great pics!!
    The man who is riding like a winner is Alaphilippe, not seen anything like it. And if he does make it - which I think he will - it will be amazing for the sport. As much as a Thomas / Bernal win would be bad for the sport.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Nice pics, ATC - nice to get a spot just where an attack was going in!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yes, I was looking for Kwia to be a big influence but he’s been a shadow of his normal self
  • above_the_cows
    Nice pics, ATC - nice to get a spot just where an attack was going in!

You found me! Doing my Johnny Cash with pink socks combo, and yes the smoke bomb was annoying, they set it off just as Thomas went past, I needed my inhaler.

EAWSxex-XUAQKCjh.jpg

And I forgot Wout, here's Wout.

EAWUBl-UXYAo-Yfo3.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    Anyone seen AtC?

She's almost as small as the new lightweight Valverde, so good luck.

Ha ha ha ha I WISH that was the case :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    BM5 wrote:
    anyone can win this race
    My money's on ATC :D

It's true I did win my little race with random Colombian fans and members of the Michał Kwiatkowski fan club (I need to know how to join) with natty flowery jerseys, only problem is we descended the wrong side of the mountain.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bernal said on the post stage ITV interview that he attacked because Thomas said he should.

Apparently the intention was Thomas to try and come across (as someone mentioned above) but when the other riders got on the wheel he sat back.

In other news, how has Kruijswijk not combusted in this heat? Daywalker if ever I saw one.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I couldn't understand Thomas' comment after the race that "it wasn't hard enough". Well there's an easy remedy for that mate, push the pedals a bit harder (and a bit earlier preferably).
  • The verdict on R5's bespoke prog was that it was wrong - in terms of racing tactics and team values - for Thomas to break away in that situation.
  • blazing_saddles
    The man who is riding like a winner is Alaphilippe, not seen anything like it. And if he does make it - which I think he will - it will be amazing for the sport. As much as a Thomas / Bernal win would be bad for the sport.

You are Lappartient and I claim my 5 euro.
    Or else, shit stupid post of the tour right there.
    Who wins doesn't matter to the sport, just the fans who invest too much in this one event.
    As for me, right now I don't have a clue as to who will win, but I know whoever does deserves my respect.

The Volta starts next week, Now that's a real race.
  • The man who is riding like a winner is Alaphilippe, not seen anything like it. And if he does make it - which I think he will - it will be amazing for the sport. As much as a Thomas / Bernal win would be bad for the sport.

Who wins doesn't matter to the sport, just the fans who invest too much in this one event.
    As for me, right now I don't have a clue as to who will win, but I know whoever does deserves my respect.

So the fact that this Tour has the potential to revive the sport in its traditional homeland where it is seriously stagnating doesn't mean anything to you?
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2019
    And PS BS: I prefer not to use terms like 'sh"it stupid' because I enjoy your contributions to this forum.
  • blazing_saddles

So the fact that this Tour has the potential to revive the sport in its traditional homeland where it is seriously stagnating doesn't mean anything to you?

Totally irrelevant.
    It's dying because in the main they refuse modernize and to move with the times. In the last year or two, there has been some progress. Winning the Tour will just confirm to many that there is no need for change.

If you think otherwise, then wouldn't Pinot be the rider to support, not the guy on a Belgian team?
  • No_Ta_Doctor

The sport is clearly dead in France, given that Alaphilippe was the leading rider on the WT *before* the Tour started, and that they have two WT teams and four pro-conti teams.

If you think otherwise, then wouldn't Pinot be the rider to support, not the guy on a Belgian team?

Disagree. Teams are not so nationally / geographically polarised as they used to be. What matters is that JA is a) french, b) rides with more panache than anyone since fignon; and c) promises to inject new life into a sport that is in decline on the continent (that we are a part of).
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 532
    BM5 wrote:
    anyone can win this race
    My money's on ATC :D

It's true I did win my little race with random Colombian fans and members of the Michał Kwiatkowski fan club (I need to know how to join) with natty flowery jerseys, only problem is we descended the wrong side of the mountain.
    Looks like you had a good day, top spot there. Thanks for the pics which are great.
    I hate it when they release that smoke and always grumble to myself as it seems unfair to riders and other fans on the roadside.
    Well done on the descent
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,528

Disagree. Teams are not so nationally / geographically polarised as they used to be. What matters is that JA is a) french, b) rides with more panache than anyone since fignon; and c) promises to inject new life into a sport that is in decline on the continent (that we are a part of).

Arsewater.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Nice photos.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Ha, good effort ATC. I bet the last thing you expect to see was a fish!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,213
    The verdict on R5's bespoke prog was that it was wrong - in terms of racing tactics and team values - for Thomas to break away in that situation.

Sky/Ineos's tactics are always wrong in the eyes of the commentariat!