TDF 2019, Stage 15: Limoux > Foix Prat d'Albis 21/07/2019 - 185 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pretty brutal start. It's great to watch.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Bonkers breakaway bandits.
    This isn't happening until the 2nd cat arrives.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    oufff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Caruso allowed a gap going solo which I suspect wasn't what he wanted.
  • Pross
    A few others trying to close. Magnus Cort and Norwegian champ
  • Pross
    Closing again now after the group got up to 4.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    On the climb. Break has to go now surely.
  • mididoctors
    dqs losing guys on this cat 2
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Fully strung out on the second cat, going to be some tired riders at the finish.
  • mididoctors
    thats fast
  • Pross
    Yates pulls a group clear as Quintana realises he isn't sat on an Ineos wheel and sits up.
  • mididoctors
    only 129k to go
  • Pross
    This looks like it now. S Yates, Ciccone, Nibali, Bardet, Roche, Woods, Lutsenko plus others. About 20 in total and the peloton finally decide it's time to ease off.
  • mididoctors
    letting it go
  • Pross
    Nope, still not happy and the group is closing. Dam Martin also in the break.
  • mididoctors
    nope peleton counters
  • mididoctors
    the yellow jersey is on a team not built to control the race on gc.

there is no one in charge
  • Pross
    Favourites seem happy to sit up but more and more clipping across the gap of about 10 seconds. Break is now nearly as big as the favourites group.
  • mididoctors
    pinot got guys up the road.
  • mididoctors
    nairo having a go
  • Pross
    the yellow jersey is on a team not built to control the race on gc.

there is no one in charge

Normally Ineos would take charge anyway so maybe a sign Geraint is struggling or perhaps seeing an opportunity to burn others out. Quintana and Martin are in the break so they can't give it that much leeway.
  • mididoctors
    Movistar have 3 riders in the break?
  • Pross
    Gap is already over a minute.
  • Pross
    The teams need to hold their nerve and be prepared to lose position if necessary to force DQS to work.
  • mididoctors
    i think bickering in the group may limit the gains. those Movistar riders need to ride.
  • DeadCalm
    Gonna be interesting to see who works to keep this break in check.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    The teams need to hold their nerve and be prepared to lose position if necessary to force DQS to work.
    DQS don't have the team. Ineos, Jumbo and FDJ to see who blinks first.
  • Pross
    14th-17th on GC all in the break, a long way back but the break is big enough that they could get enough time to get back in podium contention.
  • mididoctors
    well polka dots contest just got ramped up
  • Pross
    well polka dots contest just got ramped up

Good, I've never liked it being won by someone hoovering up points on minor climbs and the early hills on big mountain days with the incumbent being given uncontested points. It would be nice to see some big guns fighting for it.