• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    RichN95 wrote:
    top left?
    We ourselves a Buchmann expert.

Yeah.

emanuel-buchmann-2019.jpg

guess
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    itboffin wrote:
    What are inoes doing ffs G is the reining champ support him for the bloody win stop playing around, G must be farked off

Froome and brad wouldn't stand for it

Hmmmm i suspect theyre a bit colder and more efficient than pumping everything into supporting someone because they were once good.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    itboffin wrote:
    What are inoes doing ffs G is the reining champ support him for the bloody win stop playing around, G must be farked off

Froome and brad wouldn't stand for it

Hmmmm i suspect theyre a bit colder and more efficient than pumping everything into supporting someone because they were once good.

i think they rode well tactical. they balanced the gap between pinot and alaphilippe behind well. given the circumstances.

he needs to stay within 12 secs on each mountain top finish with pinot.... G can not win just by sitting behind a domestique and pedalling. they are going to have to play off the other teams. which they did well.

Buchman can follow Pinot which is a real problem because they will both have something to ride for is they lip the Tignes plateau together.

alaphillipe follows Thomas if he has any sense. to counter this Bernal goes up the road.... though Bernal is looking a bit shattered
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Sounds really upbeat.

https://twitter.com/GeraintThomas86/sta ... 5196165120

It's going to be a brilliant final week.
    Interview in the ITV highlights said he felt good and was frustrated he couldn't go earlier - needed to make sure they didnt tow Alaphillippe back up to Bernal.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Sounds really upbeat.

Interview in the ITV highlights said he felt good and was frustrated he couldn't go earlier - needed to make sure they didnt tow Alaphillippe back up to Bernal.
    The game is still on during the interviews. Just because he said this doesn't mean it's true, just that this is what they want the others to think.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The riders, the fans or alejandrosdog?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Interesting reading the French cycling forums. Some doubt about Jalaphilippe's performance to date... they were hoping for Vayer to get his calculator out for the Tourmalet, apparently 3m30s faster than last record (but with a tail wind)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Finally caught up with today's stage, absolutely great stuff.

Whatever happens, Alaphillipe has been so brave, I hope he can stay in the mix.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    davidof wrote:
    Interesting reading the French cycling forums. Some doubt about Jalaphilippe's performance to date... they were hoping for Vayer to get his calculator out for the Tourmalet, apparently 3m30s faster than last record (but with a tail wind)

So it seems. It was Pinot.

http://www.climbing-records.com/2019/07 ... malet.html

On the subject of Vayer, french riders setting records and tailwinds.

Just digging his tweet up from a few years back.........ah, here it is.

https://twitter.com/festinaboy/status/6 ... 5858435072

:P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    What a stage and the right riders gaining and losing time to keep things close.

Super super fun.

Shout outs to Pinot, Landa and De Plus. Phwoar
  • rick_chasey
    For all my criticisms of GTs as a format, this is when they come properly golden.
  • rick_chasey
    Oh and Pinot’s gonna cook in 40 degree heat...

Shaaaame
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    It was fun watching the virtual GC graphic literally changing every few seconds. Fantastic race.

What's the story with Pinot and the heat then? He even said himself that today's weather suited him. O always thought wet descents were his undoing.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    It was fun watching the virtual GC graphic literally changing every few seconds. Fantastic race.

What's the story with Pinot and the heat then? He even said himself that today's weather suited him. O always thought wet descents were his undoing.

Likes it cold (and therefore wet)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Forecasts are for 100 deg heat. Pinot doesn't ride well in heat but we will see.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2019
    amrushton wrote:
    Forecasts are for 100 deg heat. Pinot doesn't ride well in heat but we will see.

What’s that in normal degrees, 38?

In case I’m not annoying enough:

3ZidINK.png?1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Be interesting to see if anyone puts the pressure on Pinot on the descent into Valloire but not sure who out of the other contenders descends well. Could be a good stage for Alaphillipe if he's still in touch.

I looked at the summit finish in Tignes and thought it didn't look very high then realise it is over 2000m but is just dwarfed by the Iseran.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Be interesting to see if anyone puts the pressure on Pinot on the descent into Valloire but not sure who out of the other contenders descends well. Could be a good stage for Alaphillipe if he's still in touch.

I looked at the summit finish in Tignes and thought it didn't look very high then realise it is over 2000m but is just dwarfed by the Iseran.

He’s really not that bad downhill.

He had one crash and got the yips immediately afterwards but he can go down fine. He followed Alaphilippe fine the other day and that guy is a nutter.
  • blazing_saddles
    amrushton wrote:

What’s that in normal degrees, 38?

In case I’m not annoying enough:

French forecast I look at regularly says tomorrow in Nimes it will be 40C, but feel like 45C
    Race day Tuesday 38C but feeling 41C
    Cooler (relatively) on Wednesday at the finish in Gap at 32C, but starting out at 38C in Pont du Gard.
    Embrun, Thursday 32C
    St Jean, Friday 28C
    Albertville, Saturday 27C
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Out of interest had anyone heard of Lennard Kamna before today? Was he a survivor from the break?
    He was in the original 36-strong break today.
    And I did know of him before today – he was 17th in the Tour of Switzerland this year, also 4th there in the mountains competition, and is judged a great promise for the future based on a good result in the U-23 World Championship road race the other year.

He said later today that he learnt from yesterday, where he was also in the break. He said yesterday he tried too often to be in the front three, where the headwind eventually took it's toll on him. So today, as long as the break had some size, he stayed in about 10-15th position. On the Mur de Péguère he then fell purposely temporarily behind the by-then reduced-size break, feeling their pace too quick for him considering the gradient, but then rejoined them in time for the last climb.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    mistake....should have just stayed with thomas... went way too deep. he knew from yesterday he can't go with pinot at the business end of a mountain stage ...

Who knows, what if Thomas et al just sat on him and let him pull while Pinot and Bernal rode away - then jump him when he's been on the front for 2-3 k? - some riders can go into the red and recover better than others - I think JA is more that type than say Thomas who seems to like to ride within his limits and then empty the tank at the end.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    A quick quiz. Which of these riders is Emmanuel Buchman:

UlrRQsU.png

None of them.*

Emanuel Buchmann is top left though.

*Sorry, sorry I have lived my life with people spelling my name wrong, so it's personal.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It's not as hot in The Alps as the June heatwave but it's the sort of warm muggy heat which in some ways is worse...

Fun stage today. Pinot looking strong, Allaphillipe looking vulnerable, G on the rise, some new talent starting to shine. Should be fun!

Good on ya Simon!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    Be interesting to see if anyone puts the pressure on Pinot on the descent into Valloire

I think he's put those fears to bed, (he's certainly not the worst in his team, that honour befalls Reichenbach), plus the descent to Valloire is not so tricky, is it? I like it.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I feel your pain UnderTheCrows...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Cofidis do anything?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    French forecast I look at regularly says tomorrow in Nimes it will be 40C, but feel like 45C
    Cooler (relatively) on Wednesday at the finish in Gap at 32C, but starting out at 38C in Pont du Gard.
    Embrun, Thursday 32C
    St Jean, Friday 28C
    Not too hot for the mountains then. If Pinot puts time into the others I hope it doesn’t end up being the crosswinds that cost him the tour.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    ddraver wrote:
    I feel your pain UnderTheCrows...
    You beat me to that reply!
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Sounds really upbeat.

The game is still on during the interviews. Just because he said this doesn't mean it's true, just that this is what they want the others to think.
    Must admit I thought that was probably spin from Geraint.
  • blazing_saddles
    thegibdog wrote:
    Embrun, Thursday 32C
    St Jean, Friday 28C
    Not too hot for the mountains then. If Pinot puts time into the others I hope it doesn’t end up being the crosswinds that cost him the tour.

Some folks just don't seem to get crosswinds. As legit as a time trial or a 20km climb.