Boris as PM

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Robert88 wrote:
    The winner that might yet be Corbyn?

Not a snowball's chance in hell. Depressingly this lot can f@ck things up as often as they like and Labour will still not get in.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    rjsterry wrote:
    And like some slumbering giant, we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self-doubt and negativity.
    eeejit, guy ropes are there for stability and support, but hey, what would a con know about that :roll:
    More significantly the idea that simply preventing Corbyn becoming prime minister represents any sort of achievement, let alone a key goal of a premiership, is a pretty damning indictment of how low the bar is set these days.
    But that is an important thing to achieve - see my thread for more details :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    And like some slumbering giant, we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self-doubt and negativity.
    eeejit, guy ropes are there for stability and support, but hey, what would a con know about that :roll:
    More significantly the idea that simply preventing Corbyn becoming prime minister represents any sort of achievement, let alone a key goal of a premiership, is a pretty damning indictment of how low the bar is set these days.

What? The important need to avoid ending up with a dangerous clown as PM? I can see that that is important.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

If preventing Corbyn becoming Prime Minister is of vital importance to the nation, helping him become leader of Her Majesty's opposition is a slightly out there move.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

But it's somewhere between putting your trousers on the right way round and being able to do proper bows on your shoelaces. It's absolute basic minimum standard, turning up for work stuff. The fact that it is seen as even a plausible risk is f***ing shameful.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    A somewhat lukewarm response from the public in the latest YouGov poll.

YouGov
    (@YouGov)
    SNAP POLL: Which of the following best reflects your reaction to Boris Johnson becoming leader?
    Dismayed: 37%
    Pleased: 18%
    Disappointed: 10%
    Delighted: 10%
    Don’t mind either way: 17%

https://t.co/HIIFAgL8kP pic.twitter.com/ztQ8odZI1W

July 23, 2019
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Rolf F wrote:
    The three worst Prime Ministers this country has had all in a row. Lets hope next years PM will be a bit less terrible. In the meantime, can we get this one over and done with as soon as possible? Preferrably before he makes some comment about how many of the crew members of the ships Iran seized are ex MI5 employees.

Three? Surely you haven't forgotten Brown preceded them?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    EALX2kkW4AAnTdi?format=jpg&name=large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

If preventing Corbyn becoming Prime Minister is of vital importance to the nation, helping him become leader of Her Majesty's opposition is a slightly out there move.

Maybe there's a parallel universe where Ed Milliband became PM and BoJo leader of the opposition due to a load of entryism from Labour supporters keen to make the tory party unelectable...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    EALX2kkW4AAnTdi?format=jpg&name=large

That could be hung up in the Tate Modern.
  • Stevo_666
    Looking on the bright side, he does appear to be raising leftie blood pressures :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Looking on the bright side, he does appear to be raising leftie blood pressures :)

That well known good governance trait?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's still a positive point.

How's your blood pressure?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's still a positive point.

How's your blood pressure?

I had a lovely day taking my daughter to London get her first Dutch passport, and its 30+ degrees so I’m pretty relaxed tbh.

He’s unlikely to be a good governor and it’s a super tricky scenario for even a good one so I don’t hold out much hope for his success, however you define that.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Low bar there.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • sgt.pepper
    sgt.pepper Posts: 300
    Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    The three worst Prime Ministers this country has had all in a row. Lets hope next years PM will be a bit less terrible. In the meantime, can we get this one over and done with as soon as possible? Preferrably before he makes some comment about how many of the crew members of the ships Iran seized are ex MI5 employees.

Brown was actually pretty good, he just sucked at comms/charm/relationship management - made worse by the fact he succeeded the master of them.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

So true.

The pips have definitely been squeaking over the last 24 hours :lol:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Who are these lefties?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Brown was actually pretty good, he just sucked at comms/charm/relationship management - made worse by the fact he succeeded the master of them.

If he'd followed Cameron, May and Johnson he would seem like the best PM we'd ever had! Ignoring the fluff, he was the last PM we had that, if the job was recruited by normal methods, would have actually got as far as the interview stage.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Who are these lefties?
    Anyone who’s not a populist, right winger it seems, according to populist right wingers on here
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • slowmart
    maybe that’s because some people aren’t as intelligent as they think they are. :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • bianchimoon
    It's a well know they have bigly brains and are probably the smartest people ever
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • slowmart
    I can’t wait to see who Boris picks for what
    role in his cabinet. :shock:

Desmond Tutu
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I've got a horrible feeling this might actually be much of the reason he's made it. Let's elect a bumbling Old Etonian, they'll hate that.

One key thing about him is probably that all of his social circle wouldn't speak to him again if he did anything about inheritance tax.
  • bianchimoon
    Slowmart wrote:
    I can’t wait to see who Boris picks for what
    role in his cabinet. :shock:
    My guess is sacked ex ministers such as Patel and Fallon will be up there, Hunt causes problem as he's its reported refused defence secretary and wants only foreign or chancellor, Rishi Sunak has been crawling all over him and said if there's a minister for charm, he's the man :roll:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Just been on the news about the UK getting into a shipping protection force with other EU countries instead of the US one that's more confrontational.

Seems we're backed up a bit by rational countries and might just get away without relying on USA.

Surely proposing an EU Navy is just an attempt to make Farage spontaneously combust
  • kingstongraham
    What cabinet post will Mark Francois get? Foreign Secretary, or Minister for exiting the EU?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    What cabinet post will Mark Francois get? Foreign Secretary, or Minister for exiting the EU?
    Something for Boris to sit on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Just been on the news about the UK getting into a shipping protection force with other EU countries instead of the US one that's more confrontational.

Seems we're backed up a bit by rational countries and might just get away without relying on USA.

Surely proposing an EU Navy is just an attempt to make Farage spontaneously combust
    It's a protection force like the one USA has set up with a few other nations. As in a group of independent navies working together to patrol the area of concern. There's no formal creation of a joint navy between USA and any nation associating with them only when the Royal navy cooperates with the French, German or Italian navies. That seems like nationalistic to me.

Although Farage combusting live on TV might be worth an EU navy until end of October if course! :wink:
  • bianchimoon
    he's just promised everything to everyone.. even animals WTF