Boris as PM

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    You think we will be able to seize Iranian assets at a rate of 10:1?

The realists on this thread are pointing out that a lot of our assets have to steam past Iran and we have two men and a dog to protect them.

Many of our European allies are landlocked and many of the others do not live in a fantasy land when they are still in their glory days.

That is not what I think I was just giving you the range of views and pointing out that no country can win dealing with Iran in any way unless you are Trump and happy to go full metal jacket on them. They are a rogue state and have demonstrated this continuously over the last 40 years at least. Sure they have dialled it back from Lockerbie but not by much.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    the navy and sbs?

flex our muscles?

seriously?

the sbs?

do you read the daily heil or summat?

#andymcnab
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    If people understood how the Yanks enforce economic sanctions they would be a lot less emphatic about this
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Slowmart wrote:
    I find it hard to believe the UK sanctioned the interception of the Iranian tanker. I would like to understand the reasoning behind such a decision when the region needs to de-escalate and reduce conflicts points.

We need to project strength as a nation and need political leadership to lead, but I fear Boris has neither the intellect, gravitas or character to anything other than follow the US lead

britain is dramatically lacking the political, industrial, military, cultural and intellectual power to project any strength anywhere.

Wot about basic competence and an ability to formulate and execute basic strategic goals in theatre....No, can’t do that either....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Matthewfalle
    If people understood how the Yanks enforce economic sanctions they would be a lot less emphatic about this

if people weren't so bloody clueless they would be a lot less emphatic about this.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    I guess it's coincidence that Netflix's documentary, 'The Great Hack', is released on Wednesday?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Just been on the news about the UK getting into a shipping protection force with other EU countries instead of the US one that's more confrontational.

Seems we're backed up a bit by rational countries and might just get away without relying on USA.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I think political threads should have a max number of pages and once it hits that it is closed and a new one is started, a bit like having elections every 5 years.

or if 52% of posters say so it is closed

We'd get half way to the max number of pages and the Tories would be calling for a new thread.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I think political threads should have a max number of pages and once it hits that it is closed and a new one is started, a bit like having elections every 5 years.

We'd get half way to the max number of pages and the Tories would be calling for a new thread.

And Labour would ban any Jewish contributors and force them to sign an NDA.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Ironically the Brexit thread would have a lot further to go in order to get to any arbitrary page limit if it wasn't for three years of Lib Dem whingeing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Get onnnn with it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Yay a clown PM :D:(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Oh shit ... lock the doors ...
  • homers_double
    I wonder if my Euro rate will go up now?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bianchimoon
    Slowbike wrote:
    Oh shoot ... lock the doors ...
    have you got that the right way round :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    The three worst Prime Ministers this country has had all in a row. Lets hope next years PM will be a bit less terrible. In the meantime, can we get this one over and done with as soon as possible? Preferrably before he makes some comment about how many of the crew members of the ships Iran seized are ex MI5 employees.
  • bianchimoon
    Rolf F wrote:
    The three worst Prime Ministers this country has had all in a row. Lets hope next years PM will be a bit less terrible. In the meantime, can we get this one over and done with as soon as possible? Preferrably before he makes some comment about how many of the crew members of the ships Iran seized are ex MI5 employees.
    :lol::lol:
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Should be interesting political manoeuvring over the coming weeks before a GE is called.

Let’s see if that twat can make it to the summer recess still in office, which might actually be the one achievement he makes
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Matthewfalle
    GB is stuffed.

utterly, totally, completely stuffed.

#buggered

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    2018-09-05_new_43841738_I1.JPG

uncement%20714jpg_4.jpg

TfL supplier Wrightbus weighs sale amid financial downturn
    The Ballymena-based bus-maker has asked Deloitte to undertake a search for new investors, Sky News learns.
    By Mark Kleinman, City editor

Tuesday 23July 2019 12:39, UK

Life comes at you fast!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bianchimoon
    And like some slumbering giant, we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self-doubt and negativity.
    eeejit, guy ropes are there for stability and support, but hey, what would a con know about that :roll:
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I love the way that the stock market rose on his appointment.....but it was because the value of sterling fell! :?
  • Matthewfalle
    he came across as the bell end he is in his speech to be fair to him ....

#disaster

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    If he actually delivers Brexit as planned on the 31st of October and we can all go back to talking about something else then it'll be a result in my book.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    If he actually delivers Brexit as planned on the 31st of October and we can all go back to talking about something else then it'll be a result in my book.

If he delivers Brexit as he has planned on 31st October, we will not be moving on to talking about something else. That's when the EU are going to come running to us desperate for a deal, any deal so they can keep trading with us on preferential terms.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    And like some slumbering giant, we are going to rise and ping off the guy ropes of self-doubt and negativity.
    eeejit, guy ropes are there for stability and support, but hey, what would a con know about that :roll:
    More significantly the idea that simply preventing Corbyn becoming prime minister represents any sort of achievement, let alone a key goal of a premiership, is a pretty damning indictment of how low the bar is set these days.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry wrote:
    More significantly the idea that simply preventing Corbyn becoming prime minister represents any sort of achievement, let alone a key goal of a premiership, is a pretty damning indictment of how low the bar is set these days.

Dont see many competitive sports teams or players moaning about the quality of the opposition. They just pick up the prize. The onus is on the opposition to step up to the plate.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    edited July 2019
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Dont see many competitive sports teams or players moaning about the quality of the opposition. They just pick up the prize. The onus is on the opposition to step up to the plate.

It's not a sport. It's governing the country.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes and if the quality of the opposition is like a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest what does that say about the winner?

The winner that might yet be Corbyn?
  • rolf_f
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Well D'uh! Of course it is but what is your point? From our perspective we can legitimately complain if we turn up to a world cup final and both teams consist of big mac eating, heavy smokers with type 2 diabetes who haven't done any practice at all. The only point in watching that spectacle is to watch with horrified fascination the various inevitable heart attacks and deaths that inevitably ensue as the game progresses.