TDF 2019, Stage 14: Tarbes > Tourmalet Barèges 20/07/2019 - 117,5 km *Spoilers*

191011121315»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,554
    mrfpb wrote:
    Can anyone explain why it's a surprise that the reigning King of the Mountains does well on a mountain stage. Surely choosing to climb with a GC group rather than a breakaway is a matter of team tactics rather than inherent ability?

It's not really the same thing riding the mid stage climbs / smaller climbs at 90% effort with maybe a short sprint against your rivals for maximum points and racing the biggest MTFs with those trying to win the race overall.

That said, if you go back to his first Tour plenty of people were asking if if he was a possible future Tour winner. I wonder if there's be as much surprise if Kwia found himself in the lead had Ineos run out of other options and I think they are quite similar riders.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    https://twitter.com/Ciclignorante/statu ... 4944280577

Not many riders would have the frame of mind to do a book signing there.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Bearing in mind this guy has literally been riding in lead outs for Viviani earlier in the race.

This.

These are not the actions of a rider who is thinking of saving energy for the third week of a back loaded tour.

And it's not like the team has been selected to support him in the mountains. That may change for next year.

I agree with others that at some point he will pop. If A doesn't then because of the sports history questions should rightly be asked
    F*ck me I agree with Coopster!

Alaphillipe could win the Tour, but probably not this Tour. With the right team he could do it I think.

Although in future he might find himself more heavily marked, I think when he went into yellow nobody expected him to keep it this long.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Bearing in mind this guy has literally been riding in lead outs for Viviani earlier in the race.

This.

These are not the actions of a rider who is thinking of saving energy for the third week of a back loaded tour.

And it's not like the team has been selected to support him in the mountains. That may change for next year.

I agree with others that at some point he will pop. If A doesn't then because of the sports history questions should rightly be asked
    F*ck me I agree with Coopster!

Alaphillipe could win the Tour, but probably not this Tour. With the right team he could do it I think.

Although in future he might find himself more heavily marked, I think when he went into yellow nobody expected him to keep it this long.
    Yeah, he has made a rod for his own back. Won't be allowed to disappear up the road again unless he has lost bags of time on GC.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I'd kinda like Pinot to win overall, just to see Madiot explode with excitement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SJ9C9ql67c
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I think I'd prefer to see Madiot's reaction if Pinot loses by 6 seconds.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    hypster wrote:

have you seen the film "scanners" ?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    davidof wrote:
    hypster wrote:

have you seen the film "scanners" ?

LOL!! :lol: