TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT *Spoilers*

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    gsk82 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Does cycling not have an "honest effort" rule for TTs? In athletics, if you're entered in a competition you can be sanctioned for not putting in honest effort (e.g. if you enter 800m and 1500m heats, qualify in both for the finals, you're not allowed to just drop out of one of the finals to concentrate on the other because it suits you). I appreciate, cycling is more of a team sport than that though, and it would be very difficult to enforce.

Theres a time limit based on the winners time. Since he's clearly taking the wee-wee, i hope he ends up missing the time limit.
    Yeah, i suppose the cut off time is broadly the equivalent. Still allows a rider who is a strong tt'er to cruise around though.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The riders who have finished are all talking about the climbing, looking good for Alaphilippe.
  • daninexile wrote:
    For some reason I really fancy Asgreen for tomorrow.

I like Asgreen but he seems to have done a lot of work on the front of the peloton in last 12 days. And if Van Aert can win it after contesting sprint stages and generally being in the mix, then he bloody well deserves it.
    I fancy Lampaert.

Rather off the mark there by the looks of it!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    FocusZing wrote:
    The riders who have finished are all talking about the climbing, looking good for Alaphilippe.

Asgreen reckoning on a GC man winning it. One thing for sure, it's going to significantly impact the GC.

Kung has had a tumble.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    Interesting point by Millar regarding the lack of opportunity to recce the course because it was being used by the women's race.
  • richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited July 2019
    larkim wrote:
    Does cycling not have an "honest effort" rule for TTs? In athletics, if you're entered in a competition you can be sanctioned for not putting in honest effort (e.g. if you enter 800m and 1500m heats, qualify in both for the finals, you're not allowed to just drop out of one of the finals to concentrate on the other because it suits you). I appreciate, cycling is more of a team sport than that though, and it would be very difficult to enforce.
    The race is full of riders with different motivations and goals. If you had an honest effort rule pretty much every rider would be penalised because not making an honest effort quite a of the time as it's a key component of the race/sport. You have the time cut which sets an acceptable limit, but that's as far as it goes. I don't see why the TT should be any different.
  • larkim
    Pross wrote:
    Interesting point by Millar regarding the lack of opportunity to recce the course because it was being used by the women's race.
    If only that had been the case for the Dauphine...
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Talking about the heat too. A bad day could turn into a really bad day.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    larkim wrote:
    The race is full of riders with different motivations and goals. If you had an honest effort rule pretty much every rider would be penalised because not making an honest effort quite a of the time as it's a key component of the race/sport. You have the time cut which sets an acceptable limit, but that's as far as it goes. I don't see why the TT should be any different.

Agree with this. Also isn't the honest effort thing to do with giving paying patrons their money's worth? Not an issue here. If it's about betting instead, anyone putting money on cycling without looking at the tactical and strategic situation is a fool.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    larkim wrote:

Agree with this. Also isn't the honest effort thing to do with giving paying patrons their money's worth? Not an issue here. If it's about betting instead, anyone putting money on cycling without looking at the tactical and strategic situation is a fool.

Yes, but that "fool" is running the TDF PTP ;)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Nelson Oliveira 10 secs up on Mohoric who was already ahead of Asgreen. Fast start
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross wrote:
    Maybe a big advantage for Ineos. Nicolas Portal lives in Pau so has probably ridden it 100 times.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Oliviera new fastest at the checkpoint by 3 and a bit seconds.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'm not watching on TV. Can anyone confirm whether Tony Martin bothered to change out of his pajamas.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,736
    We’re at the “thick-thighed” part of GC.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    WVA, the favourite in many eyes, sets off... Time to see if we believe the hype!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Bardet apparently talking about changing bikes* for one of the climbs.

*Which should not be allowed.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oliveira does not best Asgreen's time.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Bardet apparently talking about changing bikes* for one of the climbs.

Generated one of the more amusing exchanges of the Tour coverage though, if I can trust my hearing;

"What do you think of that, David?"
    "It's insane."
  • FocusZing

It does seem unfair how he could be on the ragged tip of his TT bike, then switch to his super light 2nd bike.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Maybe a big advantage for Ineos. Nicolas Portal lives in Pau so has probably ridden it 100 times.

They released the route months ago. Everyone has had chance to recce it. I think Thomas said he'd done it 3 times. Any gc contender who hasn't has no grounds for complaint... but the French will still complain
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    FocusZing wrote:

It does seem unfair how he could be on the ragged tip of his TT bike, then switch to his super light 2nd bike.

It's not unfair if everyone has that option
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • FocusZing
    gsk82 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

It's not unfair if everyone has that option

True.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    If you left it until yesterday or today to recce a course then you’re a dick.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing
    Gweeds wrote:

How about if you left before the TT even started?
  • Pross
    Gweeds wrote:

Millar made the point that until the barriers are out you can't do a proper recce as you don't know how they'll mark up roundabouts and junctions (plus the roads being open to traffic won't help) so whilst you might get a good idea of the terrain etc. it doesn't fully prepare you for racing it.
  • larkim
    Controversial headline on the live website feed:-
    "Thomas De Gendt better than Wout van Aert"
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Double dick (if you left before it began)

Point taken about Millar but this is the Tour. If you’re serious you’d have at least been on the roads no?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Gweeds wrote:
    Double dick (if you left before it began)

Point taken about Millar but this is the Tour. If you’re serious you’d have at least been on the roads no?

Of course, and I'm sure most who are hoping for GC or a stage win would have done it. It's more the case that no-one has had a chance to ride it in race mode.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Van Aert -25 at the 2nd intermediate.
    Correlation is not causation.