TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT *Spoilers*

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    RichN95 wrote:
    A reminder of the Dauphine TT over a similar distance and terrain. Alaphilippe 7th. A surprisingly good ride by A.Yates in 6th

https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=35225

That's a good comparison Rich.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    FocusZing wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    A reminder of the Dauphine TT over a similar distance and terrain. Alaphilippe 7th. A surprisingly good ride by A.Yates in 6th

Except for the fact that the GC benchmark is missing, this is the Tour and we are yet to see how the GC boys are going at full gas, so it's not that good.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    4244932.jpg
    I'll never understand why the horse doesn't have the sense just to go around that obstacle. It's not like it's Beecher's Brook and it's a long way around.

Lots of them and those with lesser skilled riders would, both horse and rider are supremely well trained to do fences like that.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Look at last year's TT result over a slightly longer distance but even lumpier. Thomas won't want to play any games over who has yellow for instance, he will just want to get as much time as possible over all his serious GC rivals.
  • daninexile wrote:
    For some reason I really fancy Asgreen for tomorrow.

I like Asgreen but he seems to have done a lot of work on the front of the peloton in last 12 days. And if Van Aert can win it after contesting sprint stages and generally being in the mix, then he bloody well deserves it.
    I fancy Lampaert.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Except for the fact that the GC benchmark is missing, this is the Tour and we are yet to see how the GC boys are going at full gas, so it's not that good.

That's not such a good comparison Rich.
  • FocusZing
    RichN95 wrote:
    4244932.jpg
    I'll never understand why the horse doesn't have the sense just to go around that obstacle. It's not like it's Beecher's Brook and it's a long way around.

Lots of them and those with lesser skilled riders would, both horse and rider are supremely well trained to do fences like that.

I don't know much about horse jumping. Do the grapes make the jump more difficult?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    FocusZing wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I was mostly using it as an example of Alaphilippe's abilities.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    RichN95 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I was mostly using it as an example of Alaphilippe's abilities.

Yeah, which was the question I asked earlier on.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    FocusZing wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    4244932.jpg

I don't know much about horse jumping. Do the grapes make the jump more difficult?
    horses haemorrhoids.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    What is the normal thinking of TT riders regarding the last steep bit? Hold back a bit throughout the course, or in few preceding minutes or just hope to smash it, as it is short?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    mamil314 wrote:
    What is the normal thinking of TT riders regarding the last steep bit? Hold back a bit throughout the course, or in few preceding minutes or just hope to smash it, as it is short?
    bike swap.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    RichN95 wrote:
    4244932.jpg

Skinnies and weird looking fillers were the usual cause of elimination for my daughter and her pony. He'd jump some massive obstacles but as soon as you put a colourful filler in or narrowed the jump so that he could easily see the options either side it was game over!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Yep skinnies are HARD.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    Yoyo Offredo is underway....
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    He's given away a second on the start line ;-)

(and yes, I know he hasn't really)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • blazing_saddles
    Haga passes Tony Martin inside 6 minutes. :shock:
  • FocusZing
    I just wanted to give a little shout-out to any unloved TT bikes.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    I hope Martin has a lovely, relaxing, recovery ride. :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    awavey wrote:
    not even a mention of La Course ?

Of course not.
    This thread says stage 13 of The Tour, not another Dutch benefit criterium. :wink:

I think the question was aimed at the ASO...
    Not sure if they're on here much these days, might be busy.

Not publicising La Course they're not.

Quite...only two reporters turned upto the post race press conference :(

But it wasnt posed towards the ASO, as such,or in general, I just thought the stage preview might have mentioned it was happening since they were riding a variation of the same course and in case anyone had forgotten it was actually happening
  • blazing_saddles
    A few minutes later and Martin is passed by 4 minute man, Asgreen.....
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    So what’s up with Tony Martin? The bookies had him at 18/1 so must have thought he would try at least. Odd.
  • FocusZing
    So what’s up with Tony Martin? The bookies had him at 18/1 so must have thought he would try at least. Odd.

Saving himself to assist with the GC battle.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    FocusZing wrote:

Saving himself to assist with the GC battle.

Was it Inrng who pointed out he last won a TT in 2015?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Does cycling not have an "honest effort" rule for TTs? In athletics, if you're entered in a competition you can be sanctioned for not putting in honest effort (e.g. if you enter 800m and 1500m heats, qualify in both for the finals, you're not allowed to just drop out of one of the finals to concentrate on the other because it suits you). I appreciate, cycling is more of a team sport than that though, and it would be very difficult to enforce.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • blazing_saddles
    Asgreen, Haga, Dowsett after the checkpoint.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    larkim wrote:
    Does cycling not have an "honest effort" rule for TTs? In athletics, if you're entered in a competition you can be sanctioned for not putting in honest effort (e.g. if you enter 800m and 1500m heats, qualify in both for the finals, you're not allowed to just drop out of one of the finals to concentrate on the other because it suits you). I appreciate, cycling is more of a team sport than that though, and it would be very difficult to enforce.

Theres a time limit based on the winners time. Since he's clearly taking the piss, i hope he ends up missing the time limit.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Martin in 5 mins slower than Haga - so within the 25% limit (natch).
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Looks like pacing is going to be a key part of this one, given the way the gaps at various splits have gone - Dowsett and Haga both losing out in the final section.

Well played by Offredo, too - managed to set the first time as is the honour of the Lanterne, but doesn't have to waste any time sitting in the hot seat.
  • blazing_saddles
    Asgreen, Haga, Dowsett after the checkpoint.

And at the finish.