TDF 2019, Stage 12: Toulouse > Bagnères-de-Bigorre 18/07/2019 - 209,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Well, I picked Yates for PTP but it was Adam. I demand finger print testing to prove that was Simon. Thought he messed that up by finally sprinting just before having to slow down for the two bends.
    A theoretical question. Suppose it's a rainy day and everyone is wearing a cape obscuring their numbers. Then Adam has a mechanical and Simon gives him his bike, unreported by race radio. Then Adam goes in the break, but everyone thinks it's Simon and he gains nine minutes on GC. Would this be allowable? No-one has done anything wrong, but the riders had duff information.
    Well it is a rule that race numbers need to be visible isn't it - it's just overlooked in wet weather. So I am sure they would get penalised one way or another.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    pat1cp wrote:
    Story of the day could be Rohan Dennis......Why did he quit the day before the TT ?? Very strange.

He's sick. Nothing strange about having the sh1ts.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    10 /10 for orlas jumpsuit choice.

She's quality
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Thanks for the commentary everybody. Now the problem of what to do for another couple of hours (the window given for the interwebz engineer)...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    pat1cp wrote:
    Story of the day could be Rohan Dennis......Why did he quit the day before the TT ?? Very strange.

Good bit with Thomas on that, who first said Rohan Dennis was favourite when questioned about his chances tomorrow. When he was told Dennis was out he immediately switch to Van Aert.
  • above_the_cows
    Thanks for the commentary everybody. Now the problem of what to do for another couple of hours (the window given for the interwebz engineer)...

There's always crime or having a wee snooze.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245

Snooze for the win I think
  • above_the_cows

Snooze for the winner I think

Best to be on the safe side.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've always thought those sunglasses and helmet look way too big for Yates A & S. You'd think MS could afford something decent. It must be costing them about 20W.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I had my snooze while the race was on. That stage combined with an early morning start, 300 miles of driving, not enough coffee, warm weather and high pollen levels meant keeping my eyes open for a couple of hours whilst sat in a chair was never going to happen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Well, I picked Yates for PTP but it was Adam. I demand finger print testing to prove that was Simon. Thought he messed that up by finally sprinting just before having to slow down for the two bends.
    A theoretical question. Suppose it's a rainy day and everyone is wearing a cape obscuring their numbers. Then Adam has a mechanical and Simon gives him his bike, unreported by race radio. Then Adam goes in the break, but everyone thinks it's Simon and he gains nine minutes on GC. Would this be allowable? No-one has done anything wrong, but the riders had duff information.

The more important question is do I get half points for PTP seeing as the winner shares DNA with my pick?
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:

I had my snooze while the race was on. That stage combined with an early morning start, 300 miles of driving, not enough coffee, warm weather and high pollen levels meant keeping my eyes open for a couple of hours whilst sat in a chair was never going to happen.

Lucky you. I had to have a half-way intelligent discussion with someone mid-afternoon. It was hard, the pollen is really making me suffer here in NL. Went for a quick ride this morning and had to use my inhaler 6 times.*

*Still on the plus side I'll be winning next year's Tour.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    The more important question is do I get half points for PTP seeing as the winner shares DNA with my pick?

We share DNA with pigs, but we don't see them in races...

ku-xlarge.gif?w=1000

That boar was actually that dude's uncle.
  • reborn2
    reborn2 Posts: 42
    French TV saying Dennis had an argument with his team car before he just stopped and climbed off.
  • above_the_cows
    Yeah apparently he climbed off in the feedzone and isn't ill. He reportedly told the DS he didn't want to talk about why he'd climbed off.
  • FocusZing
    reborn2 wrote:
    French TV saying Dennis had an argument with his team car before he just stopped and climbed off.

That's all a bit odd. Even the DS sounds baffled too.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I saw a clip of him storming off, the way he was striding makes it unlikely he has the squits !!!!!
  • reborn2
    reborn2 Posts: 42
    My guess is he was ordered into the break by his team. He felt this was damaging his best chance of a stage win the next day in the TT and had a hissy fit.
  • FocusZing
    reborn2 wrote:
    My guess is he was ordered into the break by his team. He felt this was damaging his best chance of a stage win the next day in the TT and had a hissy fit.

They would have been mad to do that given he's a favourite tomorrow and the exposure it gains.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    FocusZing wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:

The announcement from the team doesn't make sense either.

Personal?

I assume there will be some good theories on the asylum.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    simon yates rode like a champion. peloton fell to bits. turned into a sportive.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FocusZing
    simon yates rode like a champion. peloton fell to bits. turned into a sportive.

Yeah it was great to see Yates get the stage. GC's saving themselves for tomorrow and the coming peaks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:

Personal?

He left wearing a t-shirt “it’s not about me it’s about us”.

He has a real temper problem so perhaps not surprising.
  • FocusZing
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:

Personal?

He left wearing a t-shirt “it’s not about me it’s about us”.

He has a real temper problem so perhaps not surprising.

There's a scrap of a rumour he hasn't been happy with his TT bike.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    From another forum:

It was supposedly discontent with the equipment - the wheels in particular that made Dennis quit the race. According to norwegian news station tv2 Hushovd had a chat with him today where Dennis told about not being pleased with the equipment - claiming to lose 40w to the competitors
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Gweeds wrote:
    From another forum:

It was supposedly discontent with the equipment - the wheels in particular that made Dennis quit the race. According to norwegian news station tv2 Hushovd had a chat with him today where Dennis told about not being pleased with the equipment - claiming to lose 40w to the competitors

British Cycling's "rounder wheels" gag finding yet another victim?

I'm taking the wattage claim with a grain of salt, but it shows how much pressure (real and imagined) these guys are putting themselves under.
  • gweeds
    40w sounds like absolute bollocks to me.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Gweeds wrote:
    40w sounds like absolute **** to me.

For the record I reckon I've got a pair of wheels that make me 10kg fatter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Gweeds wrote:

He's Australia. No matter what he said that would be a fair assumption
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:

For the record I reckon I've got a pair of wheels that make me 10kg fatter.

I’ve got some jeans that do that