TDF 2019: Stage 10, Saint-Flour > Albi 15/07/2019 - 217,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I would be interesting to be able to listen to team radios on a day like today. My guess is that the better teams would be mostly communication between riders while the worst would be mostly a DS shouting
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    And the ITV highlights do not show the split. Goddamit!

Both ITV and EuroSport were on ad break when the decisive move was made, coverage concentrated on the EF1 position while they tried to get a camera bike back up to the front of the race. I think it was a case of a wheel being lost and suddenly there was a gap that nobody expected.

Yes in the initial live coverage this was the case but surely that footage is not lost? They don't just stop having access to the race feed images when the ad break is on. They would have had the footage. Could they not have broadcast that even without the comms, or used it to discuss in the studio segment later.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Pross wrote:
    GC after Stage 10

1 JULIAN ALAPHILIPPE 43H 27' 15''
    2 GERAINT THOMAS @ 01' 12''
    3 EGAN BERNAL @ 01' 16''
    4 STEVEN KRUIJSWIJK @ 01' 27''
    5 EMANUEL BUCHMANN @ 01' 45''
    6 ENRIC MAS @ 01' 46''
    7 ADAM YATES @ 01' 47''
    8 NAIRO QUINTANA @ 02' 04''
    9 DANIEL MARTIN @ 02' 09''
    10 GIULIO CICCONE @ 02' 32''

There's been some good racing already plus the TTT but those gaps are looking nice and close still with at the end of the first period. For some reason I though Kruijswijk had lost time a few stages ago but is doing well there.

got a feeling G is going thump everyone in the TT.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

Both ITV and EuroSport were on ad break when the decisive move was made, coverage concentrated on the EF1 position while they tried to get a camera bike back up to the front of the race. I think it was a case of a wheel being lost and suddenly there was a gap that nobody expected.

Yes in the initial live coverage this was the case but surely that footage is not lost? They don't just stop having access to the race feed images when the ad break is on. They would have had the footage. Could they not have broadcast that even without the comms, or used it to discuss in the studio segment later.

You can watch the whole add and commentary free coverage on eurosporton line/app
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Well that’s given a few people something to think about on the rest day
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Just as it was kicking off there was a roundabout with a fast and a slow way around

https://twitter.com/jonas_creteur/statu ... 96768?s=19
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Pross wrote:
    GC after Stage 10

1 JULIAN ALAPHILIPPE 43H 27' 15''
    2 GERAINT THOMAS @ 01' 12''
    3 EGAN BERNAL @ 01' 16''
    4 STEVEN KRUIJSWIJK @ 01' 27''
    5 EMANUEL BUCHMANN @ 01' 45''
    6 ENRIC MAS @ 01' 46''
    7 ADAM YATES @ 01' 47''
    8 NAIRO QUINTANA @ 02' 04''
    9 DANIEL MARTIN @ 02' 09''
    10 GIULIO CICCONE @ 02' 32''

There's been some good racing already plus the TTT but those gaps are looking nice and close still with at the end of the first period. For some reason I though Kruijswijk had lost time a few stages ago but is doing well there.

He did lose time on that semi hilly stage, he was in an even better position before then due to the TTT.
    Half man, Half bike
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

You can watch the whole add and commentary free coverage on eurosporton line/app

Sporza: never miss a beat and their commentators are always on the ball, without getting hysterical.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Millar and Boulting did an OK job on this one IMO

Not really their fault ITV were on a break, but they could have included the footage in the highlights package at least. Generally though I think ITVs highlights packages have been very good.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I wonder what the French press made of Alaphilippe helping to put Pinot to the sword? Not so much "Les Frères Pétard" now, I bet!
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Listening to 'Bespoke', someone known to the commentator came across Brailsford riding part of the course (60km out) and he was well aware of the crosswinds. Rowe had apparently told Thomas in the first 20km that there was a chance to win/lose the tour today. For many of them it was wrong place, wrong time. We've seen it before but if you are not keeping Thomas/Froome in view you may have an issue. There were no camera shots of the split, the whole feed had gone to an ad break. The fall by Landa was only caught by a helicopter by pure luck
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited July 2019
    Ha ha ha ha the Jumbo dinner table is going to be interesting this evening.

George Bennett will be serving the drinks.

Having now seen the ITV highlights, bonus points to anyone brave enough to ask why a Kiwi has brought the drinks without a cup to go with them.
  • above_the_cows

Yes I know, I fancied English coverage today not Dutch, so was listening to ITV via a VPN.
  • blazing_saddles
    Since we are talking tv coverage, I'm going to have a bit of a sideways sexist rant.
    3 of the 6 guests, plus one host on tonight's low countries TDF evening shows were women.
    All 4 were drinking some strange, colourless liquid.
    All the blokes, bar Cees Bol obviously, adhered to tradition:

74c81215-6294-11e7-9786-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

964a49fe-5f76-11e7-9786-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Nog-n-Avondetappe-met-Mart-Smeets-in-Utrecht-sportnieuws-nl-15007135-756x422.jpg

It's just not on ladies.
  • RichN95.
    Since we are talking tv coverage, I'm going to have a bit of a sideways sexist rant.
    3 of the 6 guests, plus one host on tonight's low countries TDF evening shows were women.
    It might be gin
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Catching up...

Ooof Elia 's face looking at WvA!!! :shock: :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    ddraver wrote:
    Catching up...

Ooof Elia 's face looking at WvA!!! :shock: :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    The classic WTF look!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    amrushton wrote:
    Listening to 'Bespoke', someone known to the commentator came across Brailsford riding part of the course (60km out) and he was well aware of the crosswinds. Rowe had apparently told Thomas in the first 20km that there was a chance to win/lose the tour today. For many of them it was wrong place, wrong time. We've seen it before but if you are not keeping Thomas/Froome in view you may have an issue. There were no camera shots of the split, the whole feed had gone to an ad break. The fall by Landa was only caught by a helicopter by pure luck

It plainly wasn’t as simple as “wrong place wrong time” for Uran, who’s team kicked it off, Pinot who lost 30 places following half the peloton the long way around a roundabout at full pelt or Landa.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    It might be gin

Beat me to it. Plus what looks like wine might just be ribena.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    ...or ketone.
    Half man, Half bike
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Have I woken up in 1975?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    It might be gin

But, but but, this is France, n'est-ce pas?
    What is this Geen?
    Didn't Ribena used to ride with Armstrong at US Postal ?
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    It might be gin

But, but but, this is France, n'est-ce pas?
    What is this Geen?
    Didn't Ribena used to ride with Armstrong at US Postal ?

No, that was Beetroot Juice.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Great to see Dan Martin and Shaun Kelly in the Breakaway program. Dan looking well and refocused.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    These are the biggest gaps we’ll see between GC favourites in a single stage
  • “Ill-fated echelons: How EF-Education First missed the move it started”

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/ill-fat ... t-started/
  • mididoctors
    hypster wrote:
    I wonder what the French press made of Alaphilippe helping to put Pinot to the sword? Not so much "Les Frères Pétard" now, I bet!

I think alaphillpes chances of finishing high are deminished by having pinot behind Thomas.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    These are the biggest gaps we’ll see between GC favourites in a single stage

Probably barring some complete mountain meltdown.
  • RichN95.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    “Ill-fated echelons: How EF-Education First missed the move it started”

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/ill-fat ... t-started/

Nice read.