Arts Quiz

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

Arts Quiz resurrection... gizza date on this:

Can I go for 15th century?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    rjsterry said:

You certainly can... might be 14th C, but right era. I absolutely love this little snapshot of silliness from so long ago.

If you ever want to do a tour of small churches just west of Exeter, Ashton, Doddiscombesleigh, Bridford and Hennock would more than fill a day, with plenty of really good pubs in the Teign Valley for lunch or evening beer/meal.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957
    rjsterry said:

The degree of technical skill involved in its execution is not the sole or even the principle source of value of a piece of art.

True. But by the same token a key irritation of mine is being told why one should appreciate something.

Its art. It's completely nd utterly subjective.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

You certainly can... might be 14th C, but right era. I absolutely love this little snapshot of silliness from so long ago.

If you ever want to do a tour of small churches just west of Exeter, Ashton, Doddiscombesleigh, Bridford and Hennock would more than fill a day, with plenty of really good pubs in the Teign Valley for lunch or evening beer/meal.
    Do I keep missing the point of the Teign Valley? I usually ycle along from Mortonhampstead to Finlake and in my normal state of being semi delirious with fatigue because of the Dartmoor leg, I barely see any houses along there, let alone pubs.

Where are all the pubs?
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Do I keep missing the point of the Teign Valley? I usually ycle along from Mortonhampstead to Finlake and in my normal state of being semi delirious with fatigue because of the Dartmoor leg, I barely see any houses along there, let alone pubs.

Where are all the pubs?

That's not the Teign Valley... that's the next one over. But you'd only see one from the Teign Valley... the rest are snuggled away in their villages off the main road. The Nobody Inn in Doddy used to have a ridiculous number of malts of various ages.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

Where are all the pubs?

That's not the Teign Valley... that's the next one over. But you'd only see one from the Teign Valley... the rest are snuggled away in their villages off the main road. The Nobody Inn in Doddy used to have a ridiculous number of malts of various ages.
    I mentally skipped the Doccome climb and descent. That feels flat after Dartmoor.

I suppose I should explore a bit more.
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Where are all the pubs?

I mentally skipped the Doccome climb and descent. That feels flat after Dartmoor.

Give me a shout if you ever want ideas for routes.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Thanks, Brian. Will note this down for my holiday in August.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

Where are all the pubs?

Give me a shout if you ever want ideas for routes.
    Been going for years - lived there for a year, although a long time ago. I'm normally working remotely when I visit these days so know more 40-100km routes than I have time to ride!! Might give you a shout for a social ride one day though.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

The degree of technical skill involved in its execution is not the sole or even the principle source of value of a piece of art.

True. But by the same token a key irritation of mine is being told why one should appreciate something.

On one level, sure. But I do think people confuse whether they like something as being the same as whether it is any good.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

On one level, sure. But I do think people confuse whether they like something as being the same as whether it is any good.
    Is your definition of good a lot of people liking it or highly qualified people liking it or something else?
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Is your definition of good a lot of people liking it or highly qualified people liking it or something else?
    Exactly.

Fwiw, because of how I'm wired I find a lot of architecture and civil engineering quite artistically pleasing.

Not the Barbican, obviously.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,057

If you don't appreciate that, then you should pitch up a tent and put some squiggles in it.
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2022

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

That’s not quite what I was getting at. More the idea that good art is 'nice'. Francis Bacon's most famous work is certainly not nice or beautiful. A lot of it is downright disturbing. Otto Dix's work is also pretty uncomfortable viewing. Guernica is a painting of a war crime. These are not paintings to decorate a room. They are not pleasing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

If you don't appreciate that, then you should pitch up a tent and put some squiggles in it.

It's very pretty but has little to do with art.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Why?

I've seen a Hewey helecopter, an E-Type jaguar and a Ferrari 640 F1 car in various art galleries over the years.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

rjsterry said:

Why?

I've seen a Hewey helecopter, an E-Type jaguar and a Ferrari 640 F1 car in various art galleries over the years.
    A urinal, a pile of bricks and an unmade bed have made in there too, so anything goes.
  • First.Aspect
    masjer said:

rjsterry said:

Why?

A urinal, a pile of bricks and an unmade bed have made in there too, so anything goes.
    Or 100 poodles guarding a baby. Or a giant fabric vagina. Etc.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Why?

It's not about whether you think it's nice. It's great industrial design, but I don't think it's got much to do with art. There was a Fiat that ripped off Lucio Fontana's slashed canvases.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Why?

It's not about whether you think it's nice. It's great industrial design, but I don't think it's got much to do with art. There was a Fiat that ripped off Lucio Fontana's slashed canvases.
    What makes you think industrial design and sculpture are exclusive of one another?

There are plenty of other ways to arrange two seats and an engine in a car that are different in appearance. The beautification of that Lambo requires artistic input.

I've seen a entire gallery of architects models in the MoMa. Does someone need to have a word with the curator?
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2022
    Yes. Architects' models aren't art. Architecture isn't sculpture. Goodness knows why the RA has a room full of beautifully made sales material at the Summer Exhibition, either. We're not sculptors or artists. That's not to say there isn't some cross fertilisation but it's an entirely different discipline.

Good design needs to meet the Vitruvian principles - Firmitas Utilitas Venustas. This was worked out at least 2,000 years ago. Good art does not have to meet any of them, but does, I think need to communicate something - an idea, emotion, whatever. The really good stuff communicates something profound.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723

There isn't a great skill in reproduction of vision, but it has something.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    I'm not normally keen on fannying about with creativity for creativity’s sake.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Yes. Architects' models aren't art. Architecture isn't sculpture. Goodness knows why the RA has a room full of beautifully made sales material at the Summer Exhibition, either. We're not sculptors or artists. That's not to say there isn't some cross fertilisation but it's an entirely different discipline.

It is a different discipline but you are either thinking too rigidly or doing yourself down. Not sure which.

The gallery in question didn't necessarily include winning proposals, I have to add. More a bunch of proposals that might not have been buildable.

But some of the design elements, roofs, lighting, motifs etc were unquestionably artistic.
  • focuszing723

Mondrians too, and I don't think it's just La Vie Claire related.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,972

Looks like a wide mouthed frog.
  • First.Aspect

Looks like a wide mouthed frog.
    They did actually do a version with eyelashes.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

Sometimes it is useful to reach for the dictionary.

a. The conscious use of the imagination in the production of objects intended to be contemplated or appreciated as beautiful, as in the arrangement of forms, sounds, or words.

If your intent is an ugly building that no one would want to look at, then fair do's you're no artist, but there are plenty of buildings that have been built to be appreciated as beautiful. Many religious buildings are obvious examples, but so too are the less obvious ones such as the Barbican - why else did they spend so long roughing up the edges?

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

It is a different discipline but you are either thinking too rigidly or doing yourself down. Not sure which.

The gallery in question didn't necessarily include winning proposals, I have to add. More a bunch of proposals that might not have been buildable.

But some of the design elements, roofs, lighting, motifs etc were unquestionably artistic.
    I think designers are certainly influenced by art - they don't teach the two side by side for nothing - and we use some of the same 'tools', but designers are doing something fundamentally different from artists. That's not to say that designers can't also create art or artists design. I'm also not putting one above the other.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think designers are certainly influenced by art - they don't teach the two side by side for nothing - and we use some of the same 'tools', but designers are doing something fundamentally different from artists. That's not to say that designers can't also create art or artists design. I'm also not putting one above the other.
    I would say that were a designer is able, whilst achieving an intended function, to exercise aesthetic freedom, this becomes artistic.

It is so different to an artist composing something that is intended for a particular setting, such as a mural, a carving within a church or a stained glass window?