Arts Quiz

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    FocusZing wrote:
    bull-head.jpg

Simple, but I like this from Picasso. I might create one myself, TDF and all that.

I think the bars need to be rotated down or else you'll never go down the cols quick.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited July 2019
    It's the front seat on a tandem isn't it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Looking at the surrounding architecture - the panelling and altarpiece - I'd guess at France. The fruit on the vines look like pineapples, but the leaves are all wrong for pineapples, so maybe they are crudely rendered bunches of grapes. Lots of references to vines in the Old and New Testament, but not sure why they are emerging from mouths. Not sure I'm getting very far.

You are spot on!

It's somewhere in France. We were just passing through and stopped for a breather but I have no idea what the name was. Hardly any houses, just an excessively elaborate church.

That's pretty subdued compared with Spanish and German Baroque church interiors.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Looking at the surrounding architecture - the panelling and altarpiece - I'd guess at France. The fruit on the vines look like pineapples, but the leaves are all wrong for pineapples, so maybe they are crudely rendered bunches of grapes. Lots of references to vines in the Old and New Testament, but not sure why they are emerging from mouths. Not sure I'm getting very far.

You are spot on!

It's somewhere in France. We were just passing through and stopped for a breather but I have no idea what the name was. Hardly any houses, just an excessively elaborate church.

That's pretty subdued compared with Spanish and German Baroque church interiors.

Elaborate considering the sparse congregation.

For decoration, Greek and Russian orthodox takes some beating. In Greece there has always to be a church in sight wherever you are. So very often they are built on the top of mountains and after you struggle up to them there is no one around. But you must not take photographs as it is disrespectful, however tempting.

Someone must have risked the wrath of god though:

greek-orthodox-church-rethymno-greece-picture-id905390138?s=612x612
  • rjsterry
    What about this chap, then?

gTeQoSbSgQ88yuHKym4liRoMBMgF6yke6LiKNTtKMycQRUvLhbKhao0qfB69pti2JRaW_bOROZAk6XZZBabXcEIf35vFG2Ty1sFopbyBD2mMILhbIhvfbhIyY4V_uqA35vaDeIKRHlD925osvDuUmXVB1MwqIX0hzICwniBZC_Qv8Y7dwfSripFrj1gXd2lLzVXvev3C6SABCNVl_kzUlrHkx853ZpmByZwHLn28_QY8iNg6dN1WbUouGQxSGEDjJtrKKpCRxoN1a_wyrgE7HuAI42SCRYoHTY6TMMXYEe8LQwwzjvTCUCBo_kDYzkH8qonvSjipCKkLXy7WQ4m3LDmk26nXpiqetGK97qt8N8c9XU9c7P0a586EQzJ1Q7_-FIa-Z1hrBuOuTDdRCuCaR-5Lo8zqhL4F-QnzdJUlXOv5_iCP4kySiNuPZ28FmkycCQrHmU4UIZ5ccvm_QfvLxYUkzm5prrSoKj25LirDrMmpr-Ask49UPAhQ7zRRZIlMIJxVqssUXNYXRSrY8_YGtQwByUmyu5QGNNC6exgL0X8ODCNR8VcIHkhhZtgLpa8LewJj9hBg6O6znYsM3cdWK55pUviQGNms8DoNDI9Nc2V8CUYfbJEain5qRqEVWDp7mQC_eb_U9rkDtWTmotmIe8iIBDvPTDIGUPU73ZJTg3WqxD2qFEJURfSOnTqJoCA-kS4f1ieDnVFZmgGYLk0vaaWi0g=w1200-h1498-no
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    rjsterry wrote:
    What about this chap, then?

gTeQoSbSgQ88yuHKym4liRoMBMgF6yke6LiKNTtKMycQRUvLhbKhao0qfB69pti2JRaW_bOROZAk6XZZBabXcEIf35vFG2Ty1sFopbyBD2mMILhbIhvfbhIyY4V_uqA35vaDeIKRHlD925osvDuUmXVB1MwqIX0hzICwniBZC_Qv8Y7dwfSripFrj1gXd2lLzVXvev3C6SABCNVl_kzUlrHkx853ZpmByZwHLn28_QY8iNg6dN1WbUouGQxSGEDjJtrKKpCRxoN1a_wyrgE7HuAI42SCRYoHTY6TMMXYEe8LQwwzjvTCUCBo_kDYzkH8qonvSjipCKkLXy7WQ4m3LDmk26nXpiqetGK97qt8N8c9XU9c7P0a586EQzJ1Q7_-FIa-Z1hrBuOuTDdRCuCaR-5Lo8zqhL4F-QnzdJUlXOv5_iCP4kySiNuPZ28FmkycCQrHmU4UIZ5ccvm_QfvLxYUkzm5prrSoKj25LirDrMmpr-Ask49UPAhQ7zRRZIlMIJxVqssUXNYXRSrY8_YGtQwByUmyu5QGNNC6exgL0X8ODCNR8VcIHkhhZtgLpa8LewJj9hBg6O6znYsM3cdWK55pUviQGNms8DoNDI9Nc2V8CUYfbJEain5qRqEVWDp7mQC_eb_U9rkDtWTmotmIe8iIBDvPTDIGUPU73ZJTg3WqxD2qFEJURfSOnTqJoCA-kS4f1ieDnVFZmgGYLk0vaaWi0g=w1200-h1498-no

Why are his arms bigger than his legs?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I guess it gives the hands and harp combo a bit more prominence. The poor sod carving it probably had to superglue the thumb back on a few times.
  • rjsterry
    If it helps, he's about 30cm tall and carved from marble. So, yes that thumb is pretty delicate.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    rjsterry wrote:
    If it helps, he's about 30cm tall and carved from marble. So, yes that thumb is pretty delicate.

Carved from marble! Blimey, good effort.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well, I'm going to go for "very old". So, definitely before 1982.

The difficulty with these sorts of pieces is, of course, the material gives little clue, as the degradation is minimal, and modern artists also borrow old techniques and forms.

Having said that, I'm guessing that it's supposed to be some sort of archaic musical instrument (though I've no idea what), but other than that, not a clue. So a total guess at 3000 years old, South American. But it could be 1950s French, for all I know.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well, I'm going to go for "very old". So, definitely before 1982.

The difficulty with these sorts of pieces is, of course, the material gives little clue, as the degradation is minimal, and modern artists also borrow old techniques and forms.

Having said that, I'm guessing that it's supposed to be some sort of archaic musical instrument (though I've no idea what), but other than that, not a clue. So a total guess at 3000 years old, South American. But it could be 1950s French, for all I know.

On the right tack.

Marble seated harp player
    Period: Late Early Cycladic I–Early Cycladic II
    Date: 2800–2700 B.C.
    Culture: Cycladic
    Medium: Marble
    Dimensions: H. with harp 11 1/2 in. (29.21 cm)

Pretty incredible that it is pushing on 5000 years old and there's barely a scratch on it. Carved with bronze or stone tools as well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Just been to All Saints, East Budleigh. Well worth the visit and thanks for the recommendation, BT.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Just been to All Saints, East Budleigh. Well worth the visit and thanks for the recommendation, BT.
    Aha. Glad you enjoyed it.

I've been thoroughly disappointed in my bit of France, where hardly any churches are open during the day. There's something about church history in the flesh, even when you don't believe in the underlying reason for their existence, which I find fascinating, and occasionally moving. When it's locked away, me sad.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Aha. Glad you enjoyed it.

I've been thoroughly disappointed in my bit of France, where hardly any churches are open during the day. There's something about church history in the flesh, even when you don't believe in the underlying reason for their existence, which I find fascinating, and occasionally moving. When it's locked away, me sad.

Thanks again for the tip. Don't know much about French churches but one that is worth a visit is Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• A new one to pass judgement on:

dsc00992a.jpg
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    A new one to pass judgement on:

dsc00992a.jpg

Emily Thornberry ?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    A new one to pass judgement on:

dsc00992a.jpg

I know what and where that is so will keep schtum. '''Tis odd, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    Mother nature etc Pagan?
  • Pinno wrote:
    Mother nature etc Pagan?
    Female, yes pagan, yes, but curiously often found in churches, as was this one.
  • pinno
    :shock: I got something right.

Where is this artefact then?
  • Pinno wrote:

Any guesses on its age before I reveal all (as it were)?
  • robert88
    Pinno wrote:

Any guesses on its age before I reveal all (as it were)?

55?
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Sorry, didn't realise I'd never brought closure on this one. About 800 years old, it seems. http://www.sheelanagig.org/wordpress/llandrindod-wells/
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2020
  • rjsterry
    The scroll motifs look classical but also slightly stylised and distorted. A bit like romanesque illuminated manuscripts, but it looks more like a wall painting. Given some of your other posts, I'd guess at a wall painting in a French church. Anywhere near?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

The scroll motifs look classical but also slightly stylised and distorted. A bit like romanesque illuminated manuscripts, but it looks more like a wall painting. Given some of your other posts, I'd guess at a wall painting in a French church. Anywhere near?

Church yes, Romanesque and French no.
  • pinno
    A bit if a wild poke (in the dark): Is this of Balkan origin?
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

A bit if a wild poke (in the dark): Is this of Balkan origin?

A very definite no!
  • pinno
    Ah well, that narrows it down.

Persian?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Italy?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.