Arts Quiz

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Hope this is visible.

QI3LKwSSmVuWFbC3nCs-nqJ7r-MUxstYnkYzEFBxevMPlKOxFHlbBDPC5zHWXqFkSKSSq1067P9xsOLiMQ86l-qANg_YA59lKT_veURvatB76F-lsTgFhGTWlxZttDRg7JkxZBOgwv9O4oT5SLChvV-Duw_kyBJEyaxiVB_yxPuYntIOSzpsppkQPLTct4GFZp_Fxf-wXxA7i7gjTZ5OG6-CW0DtVmjroL8csqxgadAtgzOENzM2dZa9shUA5F836xayJE-BmGEGZ8lsInUAwflnGh5PAG1Uo1xX91HgUIK18O-MkYPMclRVSRovn2yFdmiissZL7JpBUd01TdcoAX8LYTNs-wwMuF1kN-1eX7RFdfBUEMqzIeCD0kn9Saz70c4ABpJ_hS1EKMDgQ8gErEnpO3d6ikOBWTbxQxOpB8b-kcAAq2XV0bfkDa2naBT_GjFoYHXJmhlDiLItTKv1cYJp3GdUyvE1m6nuWNc7BcHpLEL_smXjO8vRMZZTMfVw8sqICVF1snDjtlsvJ0Bfx72wXrTXtdxF0UKm777yo0dt7I97_ELHiDoWTUoJee8w7p7biFEHnraSedTPo1UUzxohvBIvWfKVlhy2SKspwj3qEJO0DmBwiAqqV_O9L2YBwooPNZEARZCkmJ8pp6S_6HFXlq8oo94z7rlfflKTg7NZmGxA58OP8-nz8gp7tJ6X7KvuezbV5vZKgm65LdXQP4KihQ=w170-h262-no
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    rjsterry wrote:
    Hope this is visible.

QI3LKwSSmVuWFbC3nCs-nqJ7r-MUxstYnkYzEFBxevMPlKOxFHlbBDPC5zHWXqFkSKSSq1067P9xsOLiMQ86l-qANg_YA59lKT_veURvatB76F-lsTgFhGTWlxZttDRg7JkxZBOgwv9O4oT5SLChvV-Duw_kyBJEyaxiVB_yxPuYntIOSzpsppkQPLTct4GFZp_Fxf-wXxA7i7gjTZ5OG6-CW0DtVmjroL8csqxgadAtgzOENzM2dZa9shUA5F836xayJE-BmGEGZ8lsInUAwflnGh5PAG1Uo1xX91HgUIK18O-MkYPMclRVSRovn2yFdmiissZL7JpBUd01TdcoAX8LYTNs-wwMuF1kN-1eX7RFdfBUEMqzIeCD0kn9Saz70c4ABpJ_hS1EKMDgQ8gErEnpO3d6ikOBWTbxQxOpB8b-kcAAq2XV0bfkDa2naBT_GjFoYHXJmhlDiLItTKv1cYJp3GdUyvE1m6nuWNc7BcHpLEL_smXjO8vRMZZTMfVw8sqICVF1snDjtlsvJ0Bfx72wXrTXtdxF0UKm777yo0dt7I97_ELHiDoWTUoJee8w7p7biFEHnraSedTPo1UUzxohvBIvWfKVlhy2SKspwj3qEJO0DmBwiAqqV_O9L2YBwooPNZEARZCkmJ8pp6S_6HFXlq8oo94z7rlfflKTg7NZmGxA58OP8-nz8gp7tJ6X7KvuezbV5vZKgm65LdXQP4KihQ=w170-h262-no

That doesn't look unlike the present Dali Lama (a few years ago) the removal of the nose from statues is an oft seen method of desecration seen in churches around the land.

So I'm going for a bust of the Dali Lama vandalised by occupying chinese in Tibet.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    rjsterry wrote:
    Hope this is visible.

I have, bizarrely, seen this piece, so I shan't comment.

Suffice to say, RJS couldn't have picked a more confusing piece in terms of trying to date it from the style.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Even before seeing Rick's post, I thought of ancient Egypt, well, not crazy ancient, contemporaneous with the Romans kind of ancient. The eyes are very typical.

Looks like it was made in the 1930's though.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    hopkinb wrote:
    Even before seeing Rick's post, I thought of ancient Egypt, well, not crazy ancient, contemporaneous with the Romans kind of ancient. The eyes are very typical.

Not to mention the missing nose like the Sphinx.

I would guess Rameses II.
  • robert88
    Took some pics of very nice pew carvings whilst abroad, 15th century IIRC. Will try to find them. They are most weird.
    Angels and demons and all that.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    Robert88 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Well, it's entirely possible, given that it looks like a museum exhibit. If it is that old, I'll have to re-calibrate my expectations of what old sculptures of faces might look like - I would have expected something more stylised and less naturalistic.
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Well, it's entirely possible, given that it looks like a museum exhibit. If it is that old, I'll have to re-calibrate my expectations of what old sculptures of faces might look like - I would have expected something more stylised and less naturalistic.

Death mask?
  • briantrumpet
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Death mask?
    I thought they were normally done with closed eyes, like this one of the composer Schönberg:

228_1951_7861.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Given the missing nose and the bald head I'll go for Egyptian. It's pretty high quality so guessing the last part of the Egyptian Empire from about 500 bc to when it ended around 330 bc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Methinks Byzantine, perhaps Persian.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    It's nine o'clock, so I can reveal that hopkinb is pretty much spot on, with Stevo a close second at only a couple of hundred years out. It is Egyptian estimated to be from 100-50BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Green_Head

Nobody knows who it is or who carved it but there are definitely Roman influences mixed with the symmetry of Egyptian sculpture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_portraiture

Aside from the broken nose it looks astonishingly fresh for something 2000 years old.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• hopkinb
    It's a mesmerising piece. I like this thread.
  • hopkinb
    A simple sketch of a death bed scene, eerie devil come to claim the deceased.. Who did it?

20190519-140006.jpg
  • pinno
    Van Gogh?
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    It's nine o'clock, so I can reveal that hopkinb is pretty much spot on, with Stevo a close second at only a couple of hundred years out. It is Egyptian estimated to be from 100-50BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Green_Head

Nobody knows who it is or who carved it but there are definitely Roman influences mixed with the symmetry of Egyptian sculpture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_portraiture

Aside from the broken nose it looks astonishingly fresh for something 2000 years old.
    Nice one indeed. I thought the broken nose was deliberate reference on a new piece to the fate that seems to befall ancient busts. Astonishing.
  • rjsterry
    The subject and general feel of the sketch reminds me of Edvard Munch, but there's something not quite right. Munch's lines are much more flowing and the sketch is all short straight lines. Pretty sure it is late 19th/early 20th century and Northern European.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    The subject and general feel of the sketch reminds me of Edvard Munch, but there's something not quite right. Munch's lines are much more flowing and the sketch is all short straight lines. Pretty sure it is late 19th/early 20th century and Northern European.
    My mind was in that area too... there's something Romantic about the subject and the deceased figure, but the jabbiness of the sketchwork is almost expressionist.

So it must be Leonardi da Vinci...
  • pinno

Never heard of him.
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:

Never heard of him.
    His brother Leonardo is better known.
  • robert88
    Pinno wrote:

Never heard of him.
    His brother Leonardo is better known.

De Caprio, yes.

Designer of the Titanic.
  • hopkinb
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pretty sure it is late 19th/early 20th century and Northern European.

Right time period.

It's by a young Picasso, before he got distracted..
  • robert88
    P1010245.jpg

Have found my pics and the above puzzles me. It is 15th century and seems to be upside down and must be a story of some kind. I guess it is of vines growing out of peoples' mouths - Preachers? The bottom right corner guy seems to be trying to stop the vine growing. The whole place was full of carvings of faces, figures and bizarre creatures; a very small number had been deliberately obliterated long ago.

Where is it and what does it mean?
  • rjsterry
    Looking at the surrounding architecture - the panelling and altarpiece - I'd guess at France. The fruit on the vines look like pineapples, but the leaves are all wrong for pineapples, so maybe they are crudely rendered bunches of grapes. Lots of references to vines in the Old and New Testament, but not sure why they are emerging from mouths. Not sure I'm getting very far.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I don't get that hat, why have twin peaks? Water would pool in the middle.
  • pinno
    Has to be Catholic methinks.
    Venetian?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pinno wrote:

Never heard of him.

He makes high end wood rim steering wheels.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Never heard of him.

He makes high end wood rim steering wheels.

I see. You learn something everyday.
    It's along the lines of the Picasso and the Stradivarius found in the loft joke.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    bull-head.jpg

Simple, but I like this from Picasso. I might create one myself, TDF and all that.
  • robert88
    rjsterry wrote:
    Looking at the surrounding architecture - the panelling and altarpiece - I'd guess at France. The fruit on the vines look like pineapples, but the leaves are all wrong for pineapples, so maybe they are crudely rendered bunches of grapes. Lots of references to vines in the Old and New Testament, but not sure why they are emerging from mouths. Not sure I'm getting very far.

You are spot on!

It's somewhere in France. We were just passing through and stopped for a breather but I have no idea what the name was. Hardly any houses, just an excessively elaborate church.