Really disappointed with my first Sportive performance

1235»

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    YiannisM wrote:
    If you want to quit after a disappointment do it, cycling its not for you. You are too soft for that. Cycling is for the people that they love to suffer, they are injured, but they will continue. They are looking every opportunity to train. For the people that when for any reason cant get on their bikes they feel sick. Cycling is for the people that they take the challenge and you are not one of them, so just quit.
    ^ Sums it up
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • If you quit cycling, you won't get a bit better at it. As the stories above illustrate, cycling is about overcoming, and having a good time doing it.
  • shaun1961
    shaun1961 Posts: 16
    Just get back on the bike and ride! You will have learned something on this sportive,take that as a positive.Ride safe.
  • Welcome to cycling! What you described is what will ultimately become your addiction and love of cycling. The simple fact that every ride, no matter how big or small is a journey...a story further down the line...a point you use to work off in the future. But whatever you do, dont give up! The journey is a blast. Let me tell you my story to help you put it into perspective.

Ive cycled all my life starting as a kid with stabilisers and about the age of 30 I gave up. Started a family, settled down, put weight on.
    One day i woke up and thought Ive got to shift this weight, had no clue what I weighed at that point, I was always a big lad, rugby player type but my weight stayed firm at 17-18 stone when younger and training. Thought I was still about that when I got on the scales. Gobsmacked when it read 24st. Just crept on over the years. I had a 52 inch chest and a 46 inch waist.
    First thing I did was buy a bike, I was going to get back on it and lose weight. First ride I did outside I completely under estimated how hard it was when you're unfit. I did 3 miles and turned around, breathing out my backside and sweating like a mule like I was having a heart attack. Avg Sp was 12mph.
    I stuck to it, I ate healthy, did short turbo sessions in the week followed by longer rides at the weekends (20-30miles). I suffered skinny guys flying past me as I gasped for air on 5% gradients and they laughed and chatted. To me 4-5% gradients were mountains.

4 months after starting I was 21 stone. I entered my first Sportive of 40 miles. I got a Bronze time with an avg Speed of 14.9mph. No matter what I did I could never smash through 15mph avg.

I did London to Brighton and walked up Ditchling Beacon as the skinnys flew past me. But I finished.

I carried on. A few months later I was 20 stone. Entered another sportive and got a Silver time with 15.8mph avg. I was over the moon as the 15mph barrier had been broken. But no matter what I did I couldnt smash 16mph. For ages.

Fast forward 5 years and a constant love of the sport., eating well and regular training with saturday or sunday rides and Im now 16 stone. 44 inch chest and a 38 inch waist. Im smaller and skinnier now than when I was at 18 years old. I average anywhere from 17.5mph to 18.4 miles an hour on a 40-50 mile ride. But no matter what I do I cant get past 19mph avg!!! :-)

I look back at my first ride out with happiness now, I recognise it for what it was, merely a starting point for better things to come. Yet at the time I could have cried in my wifes arms when I got back, the realisation hitting me just how over weight I had become.
    So my advice to you is never, ever give up. See your first sportive as a milestone. A starting point to aim upwards. In a few years time you could be looking back with a smile on your face when you're hitting 16..17...18mph avg...and seeing 15mph as nothing more than a warm up and a casual spin with friends.
    I now see upcoming hills or gradients in the road and smile..its a test. I've done a few short 21% gradients...albeit not like a 10 stone guy, but Ive done them where only a few years back I would have got off a 10% gradient.

So I say to you just dont give up. Enjoy the journey...enjoy buying the kit...enjoy pushing yourself just 0.1mph at a time. You've done really well compared to someone who does nothing.