Really disappointed with my first Sportive performance

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I asked advice re training on a beginner bike forum. And that makes me not cut out for it how?!
    Pass the steroids...

You didn't actually ask anything in your first post. I think people were a bit short because you tried something once, then said you were quitting.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    I think the OP was really looking for some context and perspective, no more. As for the pain of birth going away, yes maybe true, but having three kids (now adults) I can tell you that the mental pain seems to have been going on for 23 years so far.

In relations to average speeds, I must beat you all for slowest up an ascent, averaging under 5 mph for the last bit of the Col D'Izoard
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Those of us who view the forum through the "New Posts" should maybe be look at which section a post is in before being shitty.
  • Wow some harsh posts in here. Nothing like encouraging people hey !!
  • Bumo_b
    Couldn't agree more KingstonGraham, sadly those that critique don't have a forum for "egos and demi-Gods of cycling", or maybe they just bullied in the playground when younger to feel better about themselves.
  • :lol: Overpopulation! Good comeback
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." Said a well-known cheating Texan drug-monkey
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Bumo_b wrote:
    I think the OP was really looking for some context and perspective, no more. As for the pain of birth going away, yes maybe true, but having three kids (now adults) I can tell you that the mental pain seems to have been going on for 23 years so far.

In relations to average speeds, I must beat you all for slowest up an ascent, averaging under 5 mph for the last bit of the Col D'Izoard

That's nothing, coming up The Devil's Elbow my Garmin kept bleeping that I'd stopped. I'm surprised I stayed upright.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I've had the bolt pausing before and it was the icing on the cake :D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I've given birth four times. !

nothing to be proud of really.

#overpopulation

I doff my cap Sir.

#respect
  • :lol: I'm getting back on my bike tomorrow by the way. I'm hardcore me.
    Thanks to those that encouraged and to those that made me laugh with your savage directness!
  • I've given birth four times. Mental fortitude ha!

To be fair only the first one counts, the other three will just have fallen out when ripe.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    So we have learned that giving birth is somewhat easier than a 60 mile sportive...
  • Bumo_b
    I have always said to my good lady that giving birth can't be as painful as a good kick in the nuts, so in order of pain, we have
    Kick in the nuts
    Paper cut
    60 mile sportive
    Giving birth
    Thankfully my wife does not read this forum otherwise I would not be so brave, she would kick my ar*s
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bumo_b wrote:
    Thankfully my wife does not read this forum otherwise I would not be so brave, she would kick my ar*s

Is 'Bumo-b' your real name then?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Imposter wrote:
    Bumo_b wrote:

Is 'Bumo-b' your real name then?

Short for bum or b0llocks, which is where she'll be kicking him?
  • Bumo_b
    Actually, not far off, it was a nickname from my physics teacher who had a foreign accent and when he use to say I would end up a good for nothing bum, but it came out sounding like "bumo". I showed him however, by turning out as a burnt out, middle aged, job hating slow cyclist!
  • keef66
    "burnt out, middle aged, job hating slow cyclist"

That's me that is :D

Actually, middle-aged is a bit of a stretch. The job hating bit has me eyeing up the exit door and I'll be off without a backward glance if an early retirement opportunity presents itself!
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    MrB123 wrote:
    So we have learned that giving birth is somewhat easier than a 60 mile sportive...

As I told my wife following an emergency caesarean after an 18 hour labour, she should have tried sitting on a poly prop chair for that long like me, it was agony!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bumo_b wrote:
    I have always said to my good lady that giving birth can't be as painful as a good kick in the nuts, so in order of pain, we have
    Kick in the nuts
    Stubbing toe on bed
    Paper cut
    60 mile sportive
    Giving birth

FTFY
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    :lol: I'm getting back on my bike tomorrow by the way. I'm hardcore me.
    Thanks to those that encouraged and to those that made me laugh with your savage directness!

Excellent, keep at it. I've found it doesn't get much easier physically, I can just deal with the bad times a bit better. Finding myself turning back into a huge headwind 50km from home has gone from really really sh!t and morale destroying, to really really sh!t but a bit funny.

Also, good response to the awkward posters, this sort of thread usually ends up in a big argument resulting in someone never coming back to the forum...
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Bumo_b wrote:
    Kick in the nuts
    Stubbing toe on bed
    Paper cut
    60 mile sportive
    Giving birth

FTFY

Where does "standing on a piece of lego in the middle of the night whilst going for a pee" go on this?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I should be chuffed I did the distance (60 miles) but my time disappointed me. I averaged 14.5 mph.
    It was wet, windy and very hilly miles 30 to 50 but normally in training rides I manage faster on my own.
    I felt strong the first half then the second half I had bad nausea (felt I could throw up anytime) and just lost my oomph!
    Right now I'm done with cycling. Suppose I'll change my mind! Just not sure I'm cut out for long distance cycling.

Personally I would be pleased with those stats.

If you feel you can \ should have done better then go back and try again - remember that fuelling and pacing yourself are as much a part as hammering the pedals !
  • Bumo_b wrote:
    Kick in the nuts
    Stubbing toe on bed
    Paper cut
    60 mile sportive
    Giving birth

FTFY

Where does "standing on a piece of lego in the middle of the night whilst going for a pee" go on this?

Just after penis caught in zip!
  • Bumo_b
    Us men have it tough!

Kick in the nuts
    Penis in zip
    Stubbing toe on bed
    Middle of night standing on upturned lego or plug
    Paper cut
    60 mile sportive
    Giving birth
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Might I respectfully suggest an edit for your report?

“ I rode in a 60 mile organised event called a sportive. I’m delighted that I completed the whole 60 miles. I enjoyed some great scenery and met some lovely people. I got some excellent advice from one or two fellow riders. I think that I gained experience and confidence
    I appreciate that sportive are not competitive, or timed ( except for the rider themselves), but I’m hoping that by improving my fitness, riding skills in big groups and confidence that I will be able to ride longer and faster in the future.
    I’m really looking forward to my next chance to ride and learn. Who knows where this could lead - I’m excited, and I’ll be looking for a local club to gain experience with”

Same ride, different perspective.
  • Matthewfalle
    giropaul wrote:
    Might I respectfully suggest an edit for your report?

“ I rode in a 60 mile organised event called a sportive. I’m delighted that I completed the whole 60 miles. I enjoyed some great scenery and met some lovely people. I got some excellent advice from one or two fellow riders who weren't borin, patronising clubbies. I think that I gained experience and confidence
    I appreciate that sportive are not competitive, or timed ( except for the rider themselves), but I’m hoping that by improving my fitness, riding skills in big groups and confidence that I will be able to ride longer and faster in the future.
    I’m really looking forward to my next chance to ride and learn. Who knows where this could lead - I’m excited, and I’ll be looking for some friends who aren't boring club members to gain experience with”

Same ride, different perspective.

yeah, ed errandum.

#yeah

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Bumo_b wrote:
    Us men have it tough!

Kick in the nuts
    Penis in zip
    Stubbing toe on bed
    Middle of night standing on upturned lego or plug
    Paper cut
    Putting up with the mother in law
    60 mile sportive
    Giving birth

supra addendum ad infinitum

#bilateralperiopticalekimosis

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Didn't realise this thread had gone on with a list of descending pain endurance :lol:
  • keef66
    I reckon having sea urchin spines removed from the sole of your foot without anaesthetic is the second most painful thing I've experienced. And my wife, who was having the same done to her foot, reckoned it hurt more than childbirth.

The most painful was passing a gallstone. That had me tachycardic and carted off in an ambulance. Why do we need nerves anywhere near our gall-bladders??