Really disappointed with my first Sportive performance

Freelikethewind
Freelikethewind Posts: 37
edited August 2019 in Road beginners
I should be chuffed I did the distance (60 miles) but my time disappointed me. I averaged 14.5 mph.
It was wet, windy and very hilly miles 30 to 50 but normally in training rides I manage faster on my own.
I felt strong the first half then the second half I had bad nausea (felt I could throw up anytime) and just lost my oomph!
Right now I'm done with cycling. Suppose I'll change my mind! Just not sure I'm cut out for long distance cycling.

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Did you have enough fluids and snap?
  • Had two bottles and gels
    Ate plenty of carbs leading up to it
    I was struggling to get gels over as I was so nauseous. Proper food wouldn't have gone over at all!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Right now I'm done with cycling. Suppose I'll change my mind! Just not sure I'm cut out for long distance cycling.

FFS...
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Had two bottles and gels
    I was struggling to get gels over as I was so nauseous. Proper food wouldn't have gone over at all!

Have you had gels before? They don't suit everyone. If I have anymore than 2 then it's game over.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Don't give up. First sportive is always going to be a bit meh, its a new experience, roads you may not know etc. don't be disheartened, book next years an get more cycling.

Its a learning experience on what you can an can't eat from the sound of it. Gels are not always good I go with little bags of harbio or jelly babies. Do the same job, less messy an easier on the stomach.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    If you want to quit after a disappointment do it, cycling its not for you. You are too soft for that. Cycling is for the people that they love to suffer, they are injured, but they will continue. They are looking every opportunity to train. For the people that when for any reason cant get on their bikes they feel sick. Cycling is for the people that they take the challenge and you are not one of them, so just quit.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Most cyclists could probably ride 60 miles with minimal food uptake. Quite honestly, a cafe stop or just a bit of real food halfway should be enough especially if you take on enough fluids (possibly a energy drink in one bottle). Gels are really for an energy boost in a race situation when you are working had and thus breathing hard and simply need quick sugars that you can swallow in one go. As mentioned by others, they can cause stomach issues especially if you are not used to them.

It could also be that you went too hard in the conditions maybe? Especially the hills? Or you were simply having an off day and trying to perform at your usual level.

Chucking it in is a bit defeatist, have a few days off and recover and see if you feel the same way. Often in the immediate aftermath that can be a normal reaction, but a few days later you can’t wait to get out on the bike again! If you don’t feel like that then as has been said, perhaps you really just aren’t enjoying cycling enough.

PP
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    @OP 60 miles isn’t long distance, it’s a relative short ride for a Sunday summer morning.

Jam sandwich on brown bread is sufficient, jelly babies and bananas are my staple on the bike with a caffeine gel if I’m on my chinstrap and need a boost for the last hour .

While it’s harsh I agree with some of the above comments, your whinging and making excuses rather than focused on becoming stronger and quicker.

Cycling is a great leveller, it doesn’t matter how much your kit cost, it’s all about the rider.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Wow, lots of arrogant advice. Welcome to Beginners.

Perhaps the Sportive thing isn't for the OP , but that's no reason to pile on the the crap.

I'd suggest going back to whatever training rides you enjoy. Just don't call them training rides, call them rides. If you like cycling alone, cycle alone.

Personally I'd feel over the moon if I did 14-15 mph over 60 miles. I'd be annoyed if I didn't go for the full 100km (62.2 miles) though.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    OP, worst thing you did was post here on Beginners.
    People just have no sense of proportionality and thus you get this cycling = suffering rubbish churned out all the time.

To those who think I cant or wont ride a bike hard enough to suffer, well think what you want.
    OP , dont give up, but sack the saddo sportives off though.
  • YiannisM wrote:
    If you want to quit after a disappointment do it, cycling its not for you. You are too soft for that. Cycling is for the people that they love to suffer, they are injured, but they will continue. They are looking every opportunity to train. For the people that when for any reason cant get on their bikes they feel sick. Cycling is for the people that they take the challenge and you are not one of them, so just quit.

Well the OP being a bit silly but what you've put there is utter, utter bollocks. For the vast majority cycling is to be enjoyed. Suffering can occur(I'm partial to a bit myself) but 99% of people cycle for fun and fitness.

For the tiny minority, cycling is their life and obsession but for most it's a recreation to be enjoyed.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    It was wet, windy and very hilly miles 30 to 50

Don't be so hard on yourself, sounds like a good result for the terrain and conditions! Well done, and get your next ride booked in!
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    I should be chuffed I did the distance (60 miles) but my time disappointed me. I averaged 14.5 mph.
    It was wet, windy and very hilly miles 30 to 50 but normally in training rides I manage faster on my own.
    I felt strong the first half then the second half I had bad nausea (felt I could throw up anytime) and just lost my oomph!

If you haven't already join a club. I struggled to do more than 20 miles in one go last year. Joined a local club and now easily doing long rides at a good pace. With a club you'll usually do 40-60 mile rides with a cafe stop mid way. This breaks it up and a good way to build endurance.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    Can you all please stop try to mop up the tears of the OP?
    It's just all very silly
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Yesterday did the Tour of Cambridge and in the middle in the open fens, the wind was up. Joined a couple of groups where I could and we were all saying how it was grinding us down with pretty much everyone saying when we were caught on our own we were reduced to 12-14mph, and there were some very experienced cyclists in there. Sometimes rides are just tough, sometimes we don't get our nutrition right. Don't let your experience stop you unless you just hated (as opposed to not having much fun and not enjoying it). Maybe you are a fair weather cyclists and that's ok. In fact the more experienced a cyclist I have become, the more fair weather I have become. When I first started, I was out in all weathers, freezing fog, rain, wind. Nowadays in the winter I train indoors, rarely ride in the wet and only ride in winds above 20mph when I didn't look at the weather forecast. Cycling may or may not be for you, but give it some more time, go for a few rides, and if you are not enjoying it, stop at the nearest cafe, get some cake, coffee and you will probably find me doing the same.
  • Bumo_b
    Very silly? Same as those that did the marathon and ended up walking whilst they were clearing the course?
  • sam_anon
    Can you all please stop try to mop up the tears of the OP?
    It's just all very silly

Is that all you have to offer? Thanks for your valuable and supportive contribution!
  • Bumo_b
    I think he likes to put people off, so the roads are clearer for him to chase Strava segments or one of those at a sportive that likes to steam past slower riders, just narrowly missing clipping them to show his manliness inside.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'd agree with some of the comments re refueling for a 60. You don't really need anything other than maybe a gel for a boost if flagging in the last few miles. I wouldn't agree that you only need one bottle of fluid though. Better to take too much out with you than run out with the finish still not in sight.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    Bumo_b wrote:
    I think he likes to put people off, so the roads are clearer for him to chase Strava segments or one of those at a sportive that likes to steam past slower riders, just narrowly missing clipping them to show his manliness inside.

Apologies if I sound insensitive.

I was helping at a control ( same as feeding zone) in a 600 km cycling event last weekend, from Windsor to Chester and back, there were some riders in their 70s, even a couple of ladies in their 70s... who probably struggled to make the 40 hours cut off time (equates to 9 mph) nobody moaned or whinged and to be honest hearing about a guy who wants to give up cycling because he only averaged 14.5 mph in a half sportive doesn't really bring tears to my eyes...

I'll try to chop an onion and see if that improves things...
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Were you disappointed because you usually do 60 miles a lot faster? Have you done that distance before in similar conditions?

I'd be over the moon with that kind of speed over a wet, hilly, windy 60 miles.

My Saturday ride I did 33 miles at an average speed of 13.5mph. Gently undulating, 23c and a gentle breeze. No suffering involved at any point. 2 bottles of drink and a handful of jelly babies.

Sunday I'd planned to do 50 but couldn't drag my @rse out of bed when the alarm went off. Later start meant less time available so I only did 27 miles, the first half into a stiff headwind / tailwind home, same average speed. Bit hillier route and the temperature and humidity was a lot higher, so I felt a bit knackered afterwards. Bottle and a half of drink and a few more jelly babies.

Younger / fitter / faster riders overtake me all the time. Occasionally I'll try to stick with them to get an idea of the kind of power they are generating, but not for very long.

It is what it is. At 60+ that's how fast I ride. I'm sure I could, with a structured training program and a lot of effort, improve both speed and endurance. But I really can't be @rsed...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And regarding nutrition, I do a 60 mile charity ride each year. I grab whatever is going at the 20 and 40 mile feed stops, have 2 bottles of energy drink and an entire bag of jelly babies. And last year I needed the gel I'd got as a freebie when signing on to get me through the last 10 miles.

I think I'm clearly a lot less efficient than those who breeze round on nothing more than the sweat from their brows and an occasional fly.
  • OP - there isn't much point judging your performance on average speed. If the ride conditions were far worse than you are used to, which you seem to suggest they were, then you could have been riding at a higher intensity for a lower speed. This could also account for your struggling over the latter part of the course. I wouldn't judge your ability to do longer rides based on one sportive.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    YiannisM wrote:

This.

the op is a total loser.
  • Bumo_b
    I salute all of those super fast guys and ultra-endurance guys who just jumped on a bike and became that good without having to have some bad rides, rides where they became despondent or shorter rides when the first started where they had a good moan. Pure heroes from the start.
    The rest of us might as well give up and go back to couchlandria with such cycling Gods of pure wisdom and ability about.

I don't believe anyone, however good if they are saying they have never had a good moan and thought of chucking it all in and I certainly don't think I would want them to teach anyone to ride a bike, an appalling image of a sport.

Speaking of egos and speaking bollix, Trump is in town! Yippee
  • sam_anon
    YiannisM wrote:

This.

the op is a total loser.

I reported this post.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I also did the ToC yesterday.
    I did the 67 miler which turned out to be 69 miles in 4hrs 27mins. My ave speed was 15.5mph and my ave cadence was 85.

I’m over the moon.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    sam anon wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

This.

the op is a total loser.

I reported this post.

why? do you live in a world of fairy tail slaps on the back? Yiannis is absolutely right. the op is giving up at a minor hurdle.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Had two bottles and gels

To be brutally honest, some rides are just grim. I've done 'big' rides which have been better than 100 milers, 60 milers or 30 milers. The wind makes a huge amount of difference to how I feel, a combination of loads of other factors can change the mental side of things to the point where I can't predict how I'm going to feel really. I like to keep a bag of sweets or something solely for when I feel dreadful for no real reason. Gives you a reason to smile, nearly always when my morale is down it's because if low sugar or a seemingly impenetrable head wind. I get quite bad nausea when I'm on the bike sometimes, no idea what causes it or how to avoid it though.

I'd just keep doing your normal rides, then get up early one sunny morning and go out and do a big ride with a planned cafe stop 2/3rds of the way through. Leave the high average speed to your shorter rides and just do longer distance for fun, hopefully you'll get to grips with it
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    sam anon wrote:
    I reported this post.

Which is, in itself, a pointless exercise - there are no mods, no admins and nobody at whoever owns this site these days seems to give a sh1t.

Therefore, if you have a problem with a post, your only option is to take it up with whoever posted it. But bear in mind that offence is taken, but never given.