Really disappointed with my first Sportive performance

Comments

• Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    The ToC was brutal in those winds, "mywindsock" says there was a headwind for 60% of the time with gusts upto 31mph.

As for......
    "why? do you live in a world of fairy tail slaps on the back? Yiannis is absolutely right. the op is giving up at a minor hurdle"

The OP is questioning their own ability, something we have all probably done. Often doing time trials I wonder what the bloody hell I am doing first thing on a Sunday morning. Surely it is better to encourage someone past those thoughts as people have encouraged us rather than say "just give up". I thought we belonged to a cycling community and supported each other.

As a matter of point, some speed demon yester had deep rims and in the wind nearly managed to nearly take all of us in my group out, we all stayed upright, he (and two of his friends didn't). If he cant stay upright should he be riding at all? Where does this attitude stop?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This is the Road Beginners section of the forum FFS. If you had a friend / colleague who was starting out but had struggled on a particular ride would you tell them they were a complete loser? To their face?

If not, why do it to a stranger on a cycling forum? Are you compensating for having a tiny penis?

If you would, hopefully you'll one day do it to the wrong person and get a smack in the mouth for your trouble.

I'm guessing you don't work in the Diplomatic Service or volunteer for The Samaritans...
  • :lol: No need to cry for me, I was doing that on the hills yesterday
    Some brutal posts here but I can take it, no need to report.
    Feeling a bit more rational today and was glad I finished. Wasn't that slow compared to other women either.
    60 miles was long for me, only been riding for a year
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I also did the ToC yesterday.
    I did the 67 miler which turned out to be 69 miles in 4hrs 27mins. My ave speed was 15.5mph and my ave cadence was 85.

I’m over the moon.

I didn't realise it was ToC, that is a good average then, I did it in 2017 on the 85, winds were unrelenting on the fens I think mine was only about that on the old 85 mile route.

You did kind of go in a the deep end of events though. Wouldn't take it hard just see it as a learning experience, get some local ones booked in.

Give you an idea, our little club at the time rode from MK to Cambridge for a coffee (yeah we do stupid stuff like that) 95 mile round trip, I was quicker on that than on ToC.

Also hearing the feed stations were cocked up anyway so just get back out and enjoy, you have a UCI medal etc (hopefully).
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    sam anon wrote:
    Can you all please stop try to mop up the tears of the OP?
    It's just all very silly

Is that all you have to offer? Thanks for your valuable and supportive contribution!

what exactly did you just add Sam with your comment?
  • I didn't do ToC
    Mine was a 60 miler!
    I just need to woman up!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I didn't do ToC
    Mine was a 60 miler!
    I just need to woman up!

Oops
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Perhaps you need to pace things better. Start off slower and you'll finish much stronger- hopefully without feeling sick! If you find it hard to judge your effort, a heart rate monitor can help.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    60 mile or ToC, makes no difference, the weather was a bit pants. Last years ToC I narrowly missed qualifying, this year got my arse thoroughly kicked and some kind riders from Foxhills allowed me to wheelsuck for 20 miles to make it to the end
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    sam anon wrote:
    It's just all very silly

Is that all you have to offer? Thanks for your valuable and supportive contribution!

To you, nothing, your post didn't ask for it or deserve it.

To the OP, an earlier post from me congratulated them on their effort.
  • Alejandrosdog
    sam anon wrote:
    sam anon wrote:
    It's just all very silly

To you, nothing, your post didn't ask for it or deserve it.

To the OP, an earlier post from me congratulated them on their effort.

So again you add nothing and criticise ugo for not adding anything. Are you ten years old?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I just need to woman up!

Very much that! :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Right now I'm done with cycling. Suppose I'll change my mind! Just not sure I'm cut out for long distance cycling.

Then dont cycle long distances, or at least not if you are going to beat yourself up about not going fast enough.

Think about why you started cycling in the first place, and go back to that place. You are not a competitive athlete so it doesnt matter how long it takes you to get around.

Yes, cycling faster than you did the other day feels good. But its not the be all and end all.
  • Has everyone forgotten this thread?
    viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=13105138

Think I'm beginning to agree with OP. He may not be cut out for cycling.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    *she*
  • Alejandrosdog
    ha yes Woman up and get on with it.

do another one and do better. simples
  • I asked advice re training on a beginner bike forum. And that makes me not cut out for it how?!
    Pass the steroids...
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Worth a shot. The pros on here are all juiced up.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Alejandrosdog
    keef66 wrote:
    This is the Road Beginners section of the forum FFS. If you had a friend / colleague who was starting out but had struggled on a particular ride would you tell them they were a complete loser? To their face?

If not, why do it to a stranger on a cycling forum? Are you compensating for having a tiny penis?

If you would, hopefully you'll one day do it to the wrong person and get a smack in the mouth for your trouble.

I'm guessing you don't work in the Diplomatic Service or volunteer for The Samaritans...

I would if they were being wet about it yes. Not if they weren’t
  • :lol: It's why they take steroids
  • I asked advice re training on a beginner bike forum. And that makes me not cut out for it how?!
    Pass the steroids...

Mental fortitude. Lack of.
  • I've given birth four times. Mental fortitude ha!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Id have been pretty chuffed with 14.5mph average in those conditions for a distance I hadnt ridden before, its 60 miles as the cycling cliche goes & there are people who cant even contemplate driving 60miles let alone riding a bicycle that far in one day.

it does sound like you might have run out of fuel,but maybe you need to look at your pace in the first half, see if you were pacing for your normal length rides, and then just ran out of gas and paid for it later on as the distance was further than normal.

sometimes I find on sportives its easy to go too quickly to begin with and you pay for it later on, its better to ride within yourself to begin with and push later on. but everyones different though, so its no good saying, only eat one of these or do that and take this much water or not, Ive done so many sportives and literally carried around a full water bottle the whole way, whilst only using the 1 bottle, and it always surprises me I turn up with pockets full of bananas,gels,sugar bars, water whether I use them all or not doesnt matter, but you look at some people and they dont seem to be taking anything at all.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'd agree with some of the comments re refueling for a 60. You don't really need anything other than maybe a gel for a boost if flagging in the last few miles. I wouldn't agree that you only need one bottle of fluid though. Better to take too much out with you than run out with the finish still not in sight.
    Not true.
    That may be so if you are at a reasonable level of fitness but if you are not fit then 60 miles of hilly terrain could easily be a 4 to 5 hour ride and some solid food would be advisable.
    To the OP, just ride your bike more, get fitter, do a summer sportive if you want to or just ride your bike to the distance you are happy with, or give up if it's not for you.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2019
    I'm sure plenty of people have had a similar experience when they have taken on a challenge outside their comfort zone. It is easy to get caught up in the nerves and excitement of an organised event and set off too quickly, find you are unable to sustain it and then just grind around the rest of the course counting down the miles. I did this on my first attempt at the Etape Caledonia - tried to keep up with some faster riders around me and blew up about 10 miles in with about 70 miles to go, that was a tough day and my time was miles away from what I was aiming for. Just put it down to experience, learn from it and give it another go, you'll be glad you did. My mantra is that I never come back from a ride in a bad mood. I might come back cold/wet/elated/knackered/sweaty or various other states but I'm always glad I've done it.
    Something that is always worth doing once in a while is going out for a ride without your computer or tracker and just ride at whatever speed you want for as long and as far as you want and remind yourself how enjoyable it is without beating yourself up about average speeds etc.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I've been riding sportives for 12 years, Dragon Ride every year, an Etape,, May Flyer, Spring Onion etc and numerous hilly club rides in the Surrey Hills. My average speeds are ALWAYS between 13.5-14.5mph, even with the occasional 40 mph plus descents or 20 mph flat chain gang segments. These are ride times as well so ignoring faffing about at feed stations.
    Your times are fine for a first time hilly sportive. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy riding your bike.
  • Alejandrosdog
    I've given birth four times. Mental fortitude ha!

Half the world is equipped to give birth.

But having done that four times you surely must know that the pain doesn’t last for ever and you can go back for more.

Cycling a few hours surely doesn’t hold any fear for you.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've given birth four times. !

nothing to be proud of really.

#overpopulation
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.