Tour of Britain 2019

123457»

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not convinced Britain has the terrain to maintain interest for nine stages.
    I think it does, but it isnt really used well. Not really sure why, possibly start/finish town availability and to attract sprinters from the vuelta?

It would if it actually toured Britain. A stage in N.Ireland/Southern Ireland, a couple in Wales, Highlands of Scotland/Borders, East Anglia, Oxford - Cambridge for the scholars and two cycling towns. Yorks Dales - Lake District. Then we have Cornwall/Devon. So not a struggle to find routes prob more issues with money.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Presumably there are logistic / level of support issues for the more remote areas. But I would love to see some of the big (by UK standards) climbs of the Grampians. Or the Bealach...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    amrushton wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think it does, but it isnt really used well. Not really sure why, possibly start/finish town availability and to attract sprinters from the vuelta?

It would if it actually toured Britain. A stage in N.Ireland/Southern Ireland, a couple in Wales, Highlands of Scotland/Borders, East Anglia, Oxford - Cambridge for the scholars and two cycling towns. Yorks Dales - Lake District. Then we have Cornwall/Devon. So not a struggle to find routes prob more issues with money.

But do that and everyone moans about the long transfers...
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Plan it right and there shouldn't really be any. The Uk isn't that big and we dont have the Pyrenees/Alps/Dolomites to get round. Run from eg Inverness down over 9 stages and it might work. Take in some cathedrals, royal places, University towns, Nat.Parks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'd say it does but the current format means it goes to the areas that pay to have it which restricts where it visits. Also our best cycling regions lack suitably sized start and finish towns. Making it 9 days could open it up to visit the Highlands though or a day on the Isle of Man.