Tour of Britain 2019

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Nice stage with the inevitable result.
    The camerawork today was shocking. The constant swinging from riders to show every piece of street art, spectator and at one point, even a mobile phone mast, gave me motion sickness.

Yep, using helicopter cameras for most of the coverage when they were racing mainly on tree lined lanes wasn't a great idea.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Well there are no trees on the North Pennines section, and no helicopter either!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Nice stage with the inevitable result.
    The camerawork today was shocking. The constant swinging from riders to show every piece of street art, spectator and at one point, even a mobile phone mast, gave me motion sickness.

Amateur hour Cameraman “How many Dogs” can I film before I leave Newcastle. At one point we got a real good close up of a Snow pole :roll: - it’s a bike race not an advert for visit England.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Ooyah. Just watched the ITV4 highlights. van der Poel is different league.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Similar to when he dropped the hammer on Schurter in the final lap at Nove Mesto in May....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Geez How did anyone think that Rob Hayles
    Was commentator material. What a bore and that dreary monotone voice. Both he and Yanto Barker what a Right riveting night out
    On the town you’d have with those 2 NOT !!!

Also why do we have Barker doing his last Km effort complete with slo-mo camera work?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    redvision wrote:
    Local authorities have to financially bid to get a stage of the TOB, although in Wales the funding generally comes from the assembly.

Tv revenue is essential for the teams but the local authority hosting the stage relies on income generated by roadside viewers and those attracted to the area by the race (tourists).

Iirc, there was a stat from a stage in 2016 which showed the income generated on the day was estimated to be 10x the cost of hosting the stage.

the warwickshire stage of the womens tour last year generated £2million in income directly related to the stage with over 100,000 visitors, you can debate how they arrive at these numbers but yeah it is ultimately an advert for VisitThisPartofBritain.com , both on screen and in people attending
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    andyrr wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Geez How did anyone think that Rob Hayles
    Was commentator material. What a bore and that dreary monotone voice. Both he and Yanto Barker what a Right riveting night out
    On the town you’d have with those 2 NOT !!!

Also why do we have Barker doing his last Km effort complete with slo-mo camera work?

Advertising Le Col innit
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    I had a great morning yesterday. Obviously there were not as many big names as last year but happy to see Trentin, VDP, Landa, Eisel, etc
    The pictures of my home area in the dales were great on the TV but agree that the camera guy shows a lot of dogs and Babies.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Definitely a good day on the North Pennines yesterday. Rode to Stanhope, then against race route, so up the well-named Crawleyside bank. The bin wagon slowed down to tell me everyone else was going the other way! Onwards and upwards, lots of cyclists coming down, most waved. Then the front team cars - lots more enthusiastic waving. Stopped at the top as the race was drawing near. Disappointed by lack of a helicopter, but the sun was shining and we had a good view of the race. Down to BoatShack on the Derwent Reservoir for coffee and lots more happy cyclists. Only two more big hills to get home. TV coverage a bit amateur, I thought the dogs were intended to be a running joke! But as I'm never likely to go abroad to spectate, it's just great to see proper racing on local roads.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Ma boi just loves racing in the UK
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Cav managed to come in tenth, so he's still in the race
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Did he actually sprint? I kind of half watched it - it's not exactly a gripping race - and remember hearing the commentator say something about his lead out looking around for Cav and he wasn't on the wheel. Have to say what we've seen so far does justify the decision to leave him out of the Tour.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Not sure whether he actually sprinted, but he was up near the front.............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • He’s just saving his legs for a glorious win on the Champs Elysee of Manchester on Saturday.....
  • Edoardo Affini currently leads today's ITT stage (around 16:39 for 14.4km, I think) with a sizeable group 6+ seconds behind him.

Which reminds me - anyone know why G is racing the Canadian WT races and not the ToB? Today would have been an opportunity to set a marker before the big one later this month.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Affini takes the stage and Trentin is 10 seconds or so behind VdP, so the green jersey changes hands again, all to play for.
  • According to the graphics, Caleb Ewan won by 6 seconds. Impressive for a man not even on the startlist. :lol:

In reality, Affini takes the spoils off the back of a superb second half that nobody could match (he was outside the top 10 at the intermediate check).

MvdP regains the GC lead from Trentin by 5 or 6 seconds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Made it to Sun Rising Hill KoM. (Unexpected free coffee and cake courtesy organisers :D ). Friendly chatty crowd enjoying the sunshine. Dylan van Baarle + ano with narrow margin left in breakaway. Will have to get on to the recording to see if I can spot myself; I'm the suave debonair one in the mankini.
  • Trentin's body language at the end - there's nothing he can do when MvdP just rides away.
  • Trentin's body language at the end - there's nothing he can do when MvdP just rides away.

He seems to have unlimited reserves of energy.
    Attacking, closing gaps, some more attacking and closing gaps, then takes off like a scalded cat ftw.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Greatest talent since Merckx :P
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    M.R.M. wrote:

He's good, but he's not exactly beating the cream of the current generation in this race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    The problem with the riders who are very good at a young age is they often lack any tactical sense as they are used to winning on strength alone.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    andyp wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

He's good, but he's not exactly beating the cream of the current generation in this race.
    He has barely ridden on the road and his winning percentage is godlike. Add his performance at MTB where he is beginning to actually dominate Shurter and his ownership of WVA in cyclocross and I think the statement, while somewhat tongue in cheek, still stands. :)
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    The problem with the riders who are very good at a young age is they often lack any tactical sense as they are used to winning on strength alone.
    This is very true. He will definitely need to race better tactically. But that will only happen if he ever stops winning everything. Trentin even said jokingly after stage 4 that MvdP must have been mad or annoyed or just not used to having not won a race in 3-4 days to sprint like that. :wink:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is very true. He will definitely need to race better tactically. But that will only happen if he ever stops winning everything. Trentin even said jokingly after stage 4 that MvdP must have been mad or annoyed or just not used to having not won a race in 3-4 days to sprint like that. :wink:

I don’t think lack of tactical nouse will be his problem - he’s won races from virtually every scenario. My suspicion is that if he has any “flaw” is that he’s reliant on his clearly brutal 30sec/1 min/2 min threshold power. Let’s see what happens when he does L-B-L.
    My other suspicion is that should he commit to races more like that - and maybe even Paris-Nice/Tirreno-Adriatico - he’ll have prepared appropriately and be sublime there, too.
  • m.r.m.
    He might be too heavy for the super hard climbing races at 72-74 kg?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    M.R.M. wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

He has barely ridden on the road and his winning percentage is godlike. Add his performance at MTB where he is beginning to actually dominate Schurter and his ownership of WVA in cyclocross and I think the statement, while somewhat tongue in cheek, still stands. :)

Before this season he'd never beaten Schurter in a 90 min XCO race; this season his record is 4-1. When he drops the hammer, now even Nino can't respond.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I still think that Evenpoel(sp) could beat him...
    Half man, Half bike