Tour of Britain 2019

Comments

• I'd just like to point out, as the race reaches it's final stage, that yesterday, 700 metres at 7% was given category 2 status. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just heading into Manchester to watch.

The club rode most of the route today but I drank too much last night and didnt get up in time...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    RichN95 wrote:
    The problem with the riders who are very good at a young age is they often lack any tactical sense as they are used to winning on strength alone.

The upside is they’ve been racing finales from much earlier so by the time their rivals have caught up in their late 20s, they’ve smartened up.
  • Corendon Circus rider doesn't take kindly to Ineos coming to the front and putting the hammer down on the final climb, so lands one on Gianni Moscon.
    Ironic no?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Better race than one would of imagined from the route. MVP is a beast.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Trentins sprint looked a bit soft to me as though he held back a bit
  • I'd just like to point out, as the race reaches it's final stage, that yesterday, 700 metres at 7% was given category 2 status. :oops:

With artistic license like that, for a hill that is barely a Strava cat4, Scott should have been awarded a unique King Of The Inclines jersey! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Great to see the Tour of Britain back in Manchester today. I think it went better than the last time it visited!

Managed to catch it at three locations, including the finish:
    48732419891_fcc23389ac_b.jpgWinner by Alan Gibworth
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    I'd just like to point out, as the race reaches it's final stage, that yesterday, 700 metres at 7% was given category 2 status. :oops:

With artistic license like that, for a hill that is barely a Strava cat4, Scott should have been awarded a unique King Of The Inclines jersey! :lol:

That jersey is a king of the inclines .... But it's still ok with me.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    I had fun at the finish, didnt really see much of the actual finish but hanging around the team buses was great, saw a lot of the big names up close. Picked up a load of freebies...

Looking forward to the worlds now!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Renshaw's finished...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    Renshaw's finished...

ergo (lever) Cav also
  • thegibdog
    A few more shots from yesterday.

48736519453_0b92a66c89_b.jpg

48736845466_f0201d03a3_b.jpg

48737062446_80311e8f87_b.jpg

48736846821_8c56ecd10c_b.jpg

48736505383_71cca68c01_b.jpg

48737008447_b1aca44524_b.jpg

48736503193_d4c7e220e8_b.jpg

48736821121_67ed62920f_b.jpg

48736998117_5cd3a452f5_b.jpg

48736832691_ce0ede7667_b.jpg
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Some great photos there (and on your Flickr). Thanks for sharing!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,555
    thegibdog wrote:
    48736821121_67ed62920f_b.jpg

I thought there were a load of people in the crowd doing Nazi salutes on this one then realised they were just holding up their cameras!
  • PMSL @ nazi salutes
  • I think the nazi theory may have been planted into people's subconscious by the Jack Russell, whose markings and facial expression are a bit Adolf-esque!
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    Greatest talent since Merckx :P

Wish he'd commit to the road instead of mountain bike so we can find out - he'll be 25 before the start of next season which is about the age Sagan started winning Worlds and monuments.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Agree 100%. Wow that is actually quite a crazy stat regarding Sagan. I keep forgetting how young he was/is.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • thegibdog
    squired wrote:
    Some great photos there (and on your Flickr). Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers, no problem!
  • Renshaw's son passing him the bottle at his last feed zone.

https://www.facebook.com/76466053033496 ... 1/?app=fbl
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Renshaw's son passing him the bottle at his last feed zone.

https://www.facebook.com/76466053033496 ... 1/?app=fbl

Is that his wife. No time for her :shock:
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    tour of britain announcing desire to move to 9 days in 2020 with a move to the new version of HC level races.
  • TheFog wrote:
    tour of britain announcing desire to move to 9 days in 2020 with a move to the new version of HC level races.

Too much, doesn't seem much love for it amongst cycling fans as it is.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'm not convinced Britain has the terrain to maintain interest for nine stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    The TofB seems to have been getting progressively worse over the last few years. I always think it's looks amateurish. Theres just something about it that doesn't look pro.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,602
    The general public though , they love it.

I went to Pershore last week for the TT and it was rammed.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    TheFog wrote:

Too much, doesn't seem much love for it amongst cycling fans as it is.

Maybe this says more about cycling fans than it does the ToB.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not convinced Britain has the terrain to maintain interest for nine stages.
    I think it does, but it isnt really used well. Not really sure why, possibly start/finish town availability and to attract sprinters from the vuelta?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    I suspect it is which councils will pay to host the Tour. And they need to understand cycling.

Stage 4 went over some super terrain in the West of Co Durham, but it seems to have been ignored by the council.
    Schools out to watch, lots of extra cyclists and spectators, cafes busy, road only closed 20-30 mins, locals happy. Suspect lots of families had to watch the TV highlights to spot their kids.

This is the same council that wanted to give £250,000 to Seb Coe's company to run a closed road sportive in the county.
    Closing down the Durham Dales for 6-7 hours on the last Sunday of the school hols. They reckoned it was a great opportunity for businesses, ignoring the fact that businesses would be so cut off that even local customers would not be able to get anywhere for their usual Sunday Lunch. Massive oposition from residents (including local cyclists) - not good for relationships between cyclists and residents/other road users. All the benefits would go to Durham City. Thankfully cancelled, but no sign of the Council investing that money elsewhere in cycling. The "replacement", open road sportive hastily arranged by another company (Velo29) was uneventful, and hardly noticed by residents.
    Co.Durham councillors justt do not understand cycling.

Rambled on a bit there - but still think it's the councils that need to get behind the race.