Tour of Britain 2019

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Mr Goo wrote:
    A quintessentially Tour de North Britain.
    I guess that there's no money in the south to host a Start/Finish.
    I've always maintained that a Dorset stage would be both challenging and picturesque.

Totally agree, could be a few cracking routes, but Dorset's councils won't pay the money sadly. A Lyme Regis start with a finish in Shaftesbury would sort out some gaps after a couple of different ways up Bulbarrow and a spin around the Purbecks.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    squired wrote:
    Given how well attended the London finish was last year I'm surprised not to see it doing the same this year. Having said that, it is good to have the race visiting different parts of the country each year.
    I expect the Manchester finish will also be well attended. Everyone on my bike club whatsapp and half the people on my local friends whatsapp seem quite excited (I'm not entirely sure that all of my friends know that it's not connected with the tour de france though)

I'm sure itll be back finishing in London next year anyway.

Just think how excited they'd be if the tour de Yorkshire visited.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,859
    squired wrote:
    Given how well attended the London finish was last year I'm surprised not to see it doing the same this year. Having said that, it is good to have the race visiting different parts of the country each year.
    I think it's good it moves about outside London. Not sure about the finish in Guildford one year but whatever.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I've always maintained that a Dorset stage would be both challenging and picturesque.

Totally agree, could be a few cracking routes, but Dorset's councils won't pay the money sadly. A Lyme Regis start with a finish in Shaftesbury would sort out some gaps after a couple of different ways up Bulbarrow and a spin around the Purbecks.
    I saw someone saying it's a Cornwall start next year, so it might go to Dorset? Devon has a good chance I would have thought at least.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Apparently Boardman wants to use the TOB to increase awareness for his Manchester walk/ride strategy, which is one reason why it finishes in Manchester. Also the stage is using much of the route of the recent Tour de Manc sportive, presumably in the hopes it can become a bit of a focal point for the local cycling calendar.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    squired wrote:
    I think it's good it moves about outside London. Not sure about the finish in Guildford one year but whatever.

2012 I think (maybe 2013)? was really hectic around Guildford. Surrey gets the Ridelondon Classic and the choppers trudging round the RL100 course. That and the sportives every 4 weeks of the year mean there's enough going on seemingly for them....
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    BC based at the Manchester velodrome can't get in the way of suggesting Manchester isn't a bad choice of city for the finish. Plus, as Brad W was pointing out yesterday, there's a decent bunch of NW talent in the pro peloton these days, with both of the Yates from Bury for example (the route just about clips the outskirts and they'll have ridden The Rake a ton of times). Not a bad time to pick Manchester to finish.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Flite wrote:
    I was just looking at the Womens Tour and thinking "It's all in South England and Wales".....
    So the Mens Tour up North seems fair enough to me.

and the Tour Series filled in the rest of the gaps, whilst TdY took the Yorkshire bits :)
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    And a few more bits of Yorkshire in some chipper in September
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    I saw this picture today. The (rough) Tour of Britain stages 2008-2019

D7vGJiSX4AAd8if.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    The map of all the best bits and Norfolk
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

That would be a massive amount of climbing too but on fast roads. Would be a good stage. Add in Milton Abbas lulworth ranges and Corfe castle and it would be a tourism tour de force.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Lazy journalism in Cycling Weekly.
    Just dig out any library photo of the Lake District.
    It's only going to Kendal! Totally avoiding Lakes or Mountains.....
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

That would be a massive amount of climbing too but on fast roads. Would be a good stage. Add in Milton Abbas lulworth ranges and Corfe castle and it would be a tourism tour de force.

Could be a stunner, could probably get 3,500m+ climbing, and stunning scenery to boot. Still best not to tell too many people about one of the best kept cycling sevrets in the UK - let the Yorkshire cocky buggers think they're best, when those really in the know, know better!n :D:D:D:D
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Don't think it's already been mentioned, but Worcester stage details now up on the website. Not quite what I was expecting.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-six/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Don't think it's already been mentioned, but Worcester stage details now up on the website. Not quite what I was expecting.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-six/

That's a bit of a waste of the Cotswolds then!
  • larkim wrote:
    The Wirral stage dives into my bit of Cheshire, might have to try to see them out there.

Yeah - mine too and looking forward to it. It looks liked they'll be heading through Kelsall and up Chapel Lane (KOM) and The Yeld before turning back for Birkenhead.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The Yeld will make a tidy little climb to watch. I'm on the other side of Delamere, but that's what I'd want to be watching if I had the chance.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    The Yeld will make a tidy little climb to watch. I'm on the other side of Delamere, but that's what I'd want to be watching if I had the chance.
    It will indeed. Nasty 90 degree at the bottom on the other side that may catch some out too.

I think that Chapel Lane could be a good launch pad for a break as well. It's really narrow and fairly steep in the middle so I'd expect a bit of a mad dash to get to the bottom also. I'm Northwich side so may have a good run out and head there to watch I think.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I love descending the Yeld, shame about the crossroads at the bottom, wonder how fast it could be otherwise.
  • dodgy wrote:
    I love descending the Yeld, shame about the crossroads at the bottom, wonder how fast it could be otherwise.

Agree, but they’re heading the other way in the ToB. Up from the crossroads and then dropping towards Delamere and turning left to skirt Mouldsworth and through Ashton
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Anyone found a gpx file of the Wirral stage ? I fancy that as a ride. I can see the route on the site but can't download it.

Any ideas ?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    cougie wrote:
    Anyone found a gpx file of the Wirral stage ? I fancy that as a ride. I can see the route on the site but can't download it.

Any ideas ?

the way I do it for the Womens tour stages is those maps they show on both the WT & ToB website are actually on Google Maps, if you click on the view larger map icon it takes you to their google maps location, which you can then either download the route as a kml file or copy the url directly for the map.

then you use a website like GPS Visualizer (gpsvisualizer.com) or any alternative you like, where you can upload your kml file or provide the url direct to the google map, and convert to GPX download the file, then its upload that GPX file to Garmin, job done :)

the only issue Ive found doing that is whatever mapping tool they use to create these routes, dont seem to always snap to actual roads, so sometimes the navigation can be a bit tricky to follow, certainly my garmin was complaining I was off course alot of the time when I did a stage this year, yet I knew I was on the right road, and some of the turns can be well I think I have to go this way but Im not sure until you see the dot on the map moving the right direction
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RichN95 wrote:

D7vGJiSX4AAd8if.jpg

Kent and Cornwall need a stage apiece.

Not sure sbout the swathe of eastern middle England.
    That's sort of the whole area of the National Forest.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cheers Wavey - I think that will work. Ta !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Is WvA riding this?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Is WvA riding this?
    Isn't he still injured? I think MVdP is though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    RichN95 wrote:
    Is WvA riding this?
    Isn't he still injured? I think MVdP is though.

Yeah. I think WvA said he couldn't walk at the beginning of the month post surgery so I think he's unlikely to be racing again this season.
  • towser44
    towser44 Posts: 21
    RideOnTime wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

D7vGJiSX4AAd8if.jpg

Kent and Cornwall need a stage apiece.

Not sure sbout the swathe of eastern middle England.
    That's sort of the whole area of the National Forest.

It starts in Penzance next year

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/cornwal ... nd-depart/
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,598
    Tour of Quebec just announced its riders ... ToB takes quite a hit :(

https://gpcqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/201 ... _EN_vf.pdf
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner