Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,173

pblakeney said:

The main question is, why wear them in the first place?

Nagging wife next to you?
    If you have a Bose system (factory fitted), you can drown anything out.
    In fact, I could have a CD of Ferrari noises but that would really degrade the car :)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

In fact, I could have a CD of Ferrari noises but that would really degrade the car :)
    I've just worked out why Strifey doesn't like my car. And the Burmeister is only the back up option o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Thats like on some cars you have the option to play a more sporty engine note that runs in time with your own. Not sure a high revving ferrari would feel right while driving a VW Diesel.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I already drive a car (Kia Picanto) whose engine was described in one review as "sounding like a cross between a Lamborghini and a lawnmower". No extra sound effects needed.

Its performance, mind you, is just a bit closer to one of those than the other...

It is a great car considering it's a cheap, basic one - surprisingly comfortable and spacious - but it does have a really crummy stereo, and on the rare occasions when I drive it long distance, I often take my headphones and listen to music on my phone.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    Hearing that Robbie Williams 'Let Me Entertain You' song on t'radio and then the radio bloke says that was from 1998.... 22 'kin years ago !! 😳
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    that my kitchen is cold enough to make olive oil turn cloudy
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Intrigued that people actually listen to Robbie Williams.
  • awavey

Knebworth...Angels...nuff said o:)
  • ballysmate
    awavey said:

Knebworth...Angels...nuff said o:)

I believe Vincent van Gogh said exactly the same thing.
  • awavey
    saw a headlight and heard a thumping bass stereo just as I crossed the road,thought it was the local tweens in their souped up corsa showing off as normal...but actually was a moped rider, leaving me thinking just why ?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,490
    awavey said:

saw a headlight and heard a thumping bass stereo just as I crossed the road,thought it was the local tweens in their souped up corsa showing off as normal...but actually was a moped rider, leaving me thinking just why ?

Playing Robbie Williams?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awavey
    pblakeney said:

awavey said:

Playing Robbie Williams?
    now that would have entertained me... ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    This coronavirus thing. It doesn't seem to have a particularly high mortality rate and feels like the response is leading to a bit of hysteria.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,615
    Pross said:

This coronavirus thing. It doesn't seem to have a particularly high mortality rate and feels like the response is leading to a bit of hysteria.

It's all entertainment. (See 'The Day Today'.)
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

I think the fear is more about what might happen rather than what has happened.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    Yes a low mortality rate but a quick rate of spread. Some estimates claim that each sufferer has spread the virus to as many as 5 others.
  • ^^^ Exactly that - it's the unknown compound effect of the rate of infection that's the cause of concern. Perhaps interesting that the press are going all hysterical about the fact there have been "300+ deaths" so far from this, with the first confirmed case registered way back on Dec 1, which equates to approximately 5 per day. The reports (true or not, who knows) are that the majority of those are for people already with significant health issues, elderly etc.

Contrast that with the average *daily* road death toll in China currently around 700.

Every. Single. Day. Over a quarter of a million road traffic related deaths per annum.

Now look at the overall picture for China...

China current population: 1.4 billion
    Net gain over previous year: ~ 7.5 million
    Total births: ~ 14.5 million
    --> Total deaths: ~ 7 million. That's around 19,000 deaths per day.

The current impact is statistically negligible. It's the potential for spread that is the problem.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross said:

The media need clicks, viewers and newspaper purchases to make money and be relevant, and they have had a good run of that in recent years with Brexit.

Now they are looking for elsewhere to get their clicks, views & sales.

"Project Fear" has already been taken with Brexit but the media are definitely dramatising this for their maximum benefit.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    edited February 2020

Pross said:

The media need clicks, viewers and newspaper purchases to make money and be relevant, and they have had a good run of that in recent years with Brexit.

Now they are looking for elsewhere to get their clicks, views & sales.

"Project Fear" has already been taken with Brexit but the media are definitely dramatising this for their maximum benefit.
    I'm bored of the "shocking news about william/kate/harry/meghan" and the "24 inches of snow to paralyze Britain next week".
    If the headlines were actual, real news I'd be more likely to click on them.

The local news had a story a while ago that the journalists at the other local news were being sent on courses on how to make clickbait, and would have click targets to achieve in the future.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    That the UK health authorities in preparation for the latest / next / current pandemic scare deem it necessary to 'advise' people to use tissues when they sneeze, dispose of them carefully and to wash their hands with soap and warm water....

Mind you, given the number of times people walk out of public cr4ppers without washing their hands, maybe they Need To Be Told.

• pblakeney
    Stories reported, project fear.
    Stories not reported, contagion, why did no-one tell us? 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno

^^^ Exactly that - it's the unknown compound effect of the rate of infection that's the cause of concern. Perhaps interesting that the press are going all hysterical about the fact there have been "300+ deaths" so far from this, with the first confirmed case registered way back on Dec 1, which equates to approximately 5 per day. The reports (true or not, who knows) are that the majority of those are for people already with significant health issues, elderly etc.

Contrast that with the average *daily* road death toll in China currently around 700.

Every. Single. Day. Over a quarter of a million road traffic related deaths per annum.

Now look at the overall picture for China...

China current population: 1.4 billion
    Net gain over previous year: ~ 7.5 million
    Total births: ~ 14.5 million
    --> Total deaths: ~ 7 million. That's around 19,000 deaths per day.

The current impact is statistically negligible. It's the potential for spread that is the problem.

The potential for harm in 3rd world countries where access to medical care and living in close proximity in shanty towns for example, is huge.

But there awaits some virus as medicines evolve and viruses become more and more sophisticated, that could wipe out a few million.

Problem is, we'd have to wipe out 50% of the world's population (in mainly developed nations) to have a significant environmental impact.

• awavey
    I thought there would be more odd shaped ball sport chat this weekend B)

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    awavey said:

At one point I thought there was a new team in the tournament. Everytime I heard a mention of the fixtures on the TV or radio they said the tournament opener was Wales v Italy in Cardiff followed by Ireland v Scotland then, on Sunday, Favourites England for taking on France in Paris. I assumed Favourites England was the team name in the end like London Irish.
  • awavey
    Pross said:

awavey said:

At one point I thought there was a new team in the tournament. Everytime I heard a mention of the fixtures on the TV or radio they said the tournament opener was Wales v Italy in Cardiff followed by Ireland v Scotland then, on Sunday, Favourites England for taking on France in Paris. I assumed Favourites England was the team name in the end like London Irish.
    fear not much like the England cricket team of old, clearly the rugby lot can muck it up just as spectacularly after a world cup :)
  • pinno
    edited February 2020
    I've no idea how, given relentless schedules, any team/individual post tournament, can sustain the highest level.

Are we not expecting too much?

"Oh, you won Roubaix Phil Gil but you failed miserably at Amstel"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,028
    pinno said:

I've no idea how, given relentless schedules, any team/individual post tournament, can sustain the highest level.

It is their job...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

pinno said:

It is their job...
    I think we’re seeing a clear trend towards 4 year cycles spread from Olympic sports to others such as Rugby.
    Try new schemes, blood players all working on the 4 year cycle. (World Cup).
    Other trophies along the way very much appreciated but very much less coveted than in years gone by.
    1WC > 4 x 6 nations wins.
  • awavey
    morstar said:

pinno said:

It is their job...
    I think we’re seeing a clear trend towards 4 year cycles spread from Olympic sports to others such as Rugby.
    Other trophies along the way very much appreciated but very much less coveted than in years gone by.
    quite possibly, the England cricket team looked less than ODI World Champions today for sure, but its not the same team, which I thought albeit not a rugby follower was what the England rugby team were about this 6 nations as well.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    awavey said:

morstar said:

pinno said:

It is their job...
    quite possibly, the England cricket team looked less than ODI World Champions today for sure, but its not the same team, which I thought albeit not a rugby follower was what the England rugby team were about this 6 nations as well.
    Not close enough to rugby to know the ins and outs of the squad but...
    Even the same squad could be trying different plays and their last outing was a thumping on the biggest stage. These things do have an effect to some degree. Some will manage better than others but it still affects every player in the squad in some way.
    The measure of them is how they now bounce back having failed at the first opportunity to do so.