Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Stevo_666 said:

slowbike said:

pinno said:

Gas powered kettle in a van?!

Absolutely - there's an electric one too, but I either need to turn on the inverter & run the engine or plug in the hookup cable ... easier to just to use the gas ... ;)
    I'm sure the petrol station attendant didn't mind you using a naked flame at all...
    I had clothes on ...
    I did ensure I put down my mobile before driving onto the forecourt ... they don't like you using mobile devices - even if it is just streaming from the onboard media server.

;)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    slowbike said:

pinno said:

Absolutely - there's an electric one too, but I either need to turn on the inverter & run the engine or plug in the hookup cable ... easier to just to use the gas ... ;)
    So, you're a white van man.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • slowbike
    pinno said:

slowbike said:

pinno said:

So, you're a white van man.
    Nah - it's not white .... and with a full galley, fridge & beds onboard, it's not much of a load carrier ... but it is comfortable ...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited December 2019
    The concept that the Transgender movement has "cancelled" JK Rowling.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,662
    I'm not even sure what that means. We seem unable to discuss sensitive subjects without people denouncing one another at the first opportunity.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I love NFL.
    Did you know that a game time is 60 minutes / 4 x 15 minute quarters.
    The average game lasts 3 hours 12 minutes.
    But what I didn't know was that the ball is only in play for an average of 11 minutes!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    mr_goo said:

I love NFL.
    But what I didn't know was that the ball is only in play for an average of 11 minutes!

Sounds less interesting than cricket.

Intrigued by: on crowded tube train yesterday, woman gets on, brings out smartphone plus old school miniphone, puts away smartphone, taps out sms on old school one. Why? Eyesight not good enough to read the text, just. Do old style non smart phones connect to network on tubes while smartphones don't? Was she a drug mule using a burner? Who knows?
  • pinno
    She's having an affair?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    mr_goo said:

I love NFL.

I too would be intrigued as to why someone would sit through 3 hours of dross.
  • pinno
    edited December 2019
    NFL, Ice Hockey and worse - Baseball, drown you in stats during commentary..
  • ballysmate
    I dunno, ice hockey can be entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbn5ss8j9c
  • pinno
    edited December 2019
    i remember that film. Do you remember 'Rollerball'?
  • ballysmate
    James Caan? Yeah I remember. Went to the pictures in my spotty youth to see it.
  • pinno

James Caan? Yeah I remember. Went to the pictures in my hairy cubhood to see it.

FTFY

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    NHL has been sanitised. It is still entertaining, but less so.
    Football is heading the same way. Compare Leeds of the 70s to today's non contact version.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pigeons roosting, by the time I went out for a ride today the pigeons were roosting in bushes and trees, which is fine,except as you cycle by these bushes and trees you just get a succession of pigeons leaping out in front of you...but they dont stir at all if a car passes which is seriously much louder than my bike...?

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    People who think it’s ok to wear pyjamas in public. We took our grandson on the Santa Special on the North York Moors Railway and people were wearing pyjamas.
    What is that about.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited December 2019
    pblakeney said:

NHL has been sanitised. It is still entertaining, but less so.
    Football is heading the same way. Compare Leeds of the 70s to today's non contact version.

Sanitised is a phrase I’m not a big fan of (not that that should bother you). We have a better understanding of both the physical and mental cost of practices accepted in days gone by.
    The suicide rate and mental health issues of hockey enforcers are not pretty.
    I refereed ice hockey for a number of years. Whilst there is something satisfying in a genuine fight being allowed following some wrongdoing, by allowing the ‘genuine’ fight, you open the game to nonsense, staged fights and fights by proxy between enforcers. These are pantomime in my eyes with real blood and long term Ill effects.
    In football terms, do you prefer to enjoy players of the calibre of Ronaldo or some lump of a player flattening his ilk?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    It doesn't bother me.
    I like contact sports to have contact.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    The amount of drag a set of reindeer antlers and santa hat attached to your lid has when descending at 40mph .... I could feel my head being forced backwards...
    Perhaps I'll stick to just the fairy lights on the frame in future ... ;)
  • pblakeney said:

It doesn't bother me.
    I like contact sports to have contact.

Having watched a number of NHL and AHL games this season, I can confirm that it is still a contact sport.

There is even still a bit of fighting.

Perhaps the tendancy to "finish the check" aka take the player out after they've passed the puck, has diminished. But I find this much more obvious in the UK leagues, where the play is slower.
  • pinno
    slowbike said:

The amount of drag a set of reindeer antlers and santa hat attached to your lid has when descending at 40mph .... I could feel my head being forced backwards...
    Perhaps I'll stick to just the fairy lights on the frame in future ... ;)

Try the Blue Fin Shark outfit instead.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    How are quiz questions 'calibrated' ?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    when did footballers start using gels ? and why inspite of all the amazing sports nutrionist science they can clearly afford and must get, they are even bothering in the first place.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Lefty, anti brexit QCs publicly announcing that they clubbed a Fox to death with a baseball bat whilst hungover and wearing there wife's kimono.
    WTAF?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    shortfall said:

Lefty, anti brexit QCs publicly announcing that they clubbed a Fox to death with a baseball bat whilst hungover and wearing there wife's kimono.
    WTAF?

All depends on the circumstances. I was pretty shocked by the headline but then if you take his explanation at face value, it is plausible.
    If you live with and around animals, there is a possibility at some point you will end up despatching one.
    Is his tweet sharing a pretty weird/horrific start to what he though would be a normal day or was he glorifying battering a defenceless animal?
    I guess only he knows.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    edited December 2019
    That anyone thinks a person's political leanings and thoughts on Brexit are vaguely relevant to them battering and animal with a bat.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,496
    shortfall said:

WTAF?

Surely just another normal day for the left of centre London elite?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Pross said:

That anyone thinks a person's political leanings and thoughts on Brexit are vaguely relevant to them battering and animal with a bat.

I make no comment on the rights or wrongs of this but if you've been following the Brexit thread for the past 3 years can you imagine the outpouring if say Jacob Rees Mogg had battered a fox to death,?