Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    rolf_f said:

Is the formation of the universe really a trivial thing to be intrigued by? I dunno, the standard of this forum is slipping badly.....

Anyway, Priti Patel; does she have any known positive personality traits or is she awful in every respect? This intrigues me. I'd like to think that behind that truly terrible, hate filled, vindictive façade there is some long buried scrap of charm and decency just trying to get out.

I heard she had it surgically removed and incinerated.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    One of my in-laws works at a fairly senior level at the Home Office. She is currently off work with stress, a lot of it down to workplace bullying.

Now, i'm not saying that PP is directly responsible, but I gather that under her "leadership" a culture of bullying, blame and fear seems to have been established.

She does seem to be a bit of a Datsun Cherry - no redeeming features.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    elbowloh said:

One of my in-laws works at a fairly senior level at the Home Office. She is currently off work with stress, a lot of it down to workplace bullying.

Now, i'm not saying that PP is directly responsible, but I gather that under her "leadership" a culture of bullying, blame and fear seems to have been established.

Not true. Lefties hate her.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Not true. Lefties hate her.
    I suspect there are a few in her own party who hate her too.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Always worth reminding people how MPs lost their previous roles.
  • ballysmate

You not gonna suggest that any criticism of her is tinged with/based on racism?
  • elbowloh

Case in Point - Grant Shapps.

How the fudge is that guy in Government / an MP.

He is another proven liar. Lied about having a second income, Lied about running a separate business. Lied about having a second identify. Lied about running said business under that pseudonym.

Lied about the above repeatedly.

Don;t know why i'm picking on Shapps, could just as easily talked about BoJo.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey

Got any examples of any criticism that is aligned with tropes associated with racism?

I haven't seen any but I don't read as much news as I used to.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

Got any examples of any criticism that is aligned with tropes associated with racism?

I haven't seen any but I don't read as much news as I used to.
    The Guardian keeps going on about how her parents would have been affected by the immigration policy. Sajid Javid's parents too. It's pretty poor journalism, but also racist depending on your point of view. Plus, her parents would have been refugees any way.
  • ballysmate
    I don't see or assume any criticism to be racist based.
    I do recall however, that when the most gaffe prone polician of our times, Ms Abbott was receiving criticism, you suggested it was partly due to racism.
  • rick_chasey

I do recall however, that when the most gaffe prone polician of our times, Ms Abbott was receiving criticism, you suggested it was partly due to racism.

Yeah i've got to be honest, I've not seen Patel appear in far-right type memes that you see Abbott or Lammy appear in but YMMV. I tend to avoid those things.

Big Bean - I guess it depends how factual the reporting is, but if it's not, I see your point.

I don't think the whole "smirking bully who plays by her own rules" vibe which is being reported on is in line with racist tropes but feel free to prove me otherwise.
  • TheBigBean

I don't think the whole "smirking bully who plays by her own rules" vibe which is being reported on is in line with racist tropes but feel free to prove me otherwise.

The Guardian has also accused her of having a perma-smirk which I think is a bit much. They wouldn't go with any other form of body shaming, and her face is not exactly her choice. The moral of all this is just how dire the Guardian is.
  • elbowloh

More than Boris stuck on a zip wire garden bridge rugby tackle a japanese kid Johnson himself?

Or when it comes to actual major feck-ups, Chris Grayling?

At least Diane's gaffs are in opposition where she can do no real harm!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey

The Guardian has also accused her of having a perma-smirk which I think is a bit much. They wouldn't go with any other form of body shaming, and her face is not exactly her choice. The moral of all this is just how dire the Guardian is.
    She pretty much does have a perma-smirk doesn't she? It's an awkward tic for a politician but I genuinely haven't seen an interview or photo where she isn't smirking.

I've stopped reading the guardian so can't comment on that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    edited February 2020
    TBB, a smirk is a facial expression. A form of non-verbal communication. Trying to frame the phrase "perma-smirk" - a comment that has also been applied to Johnson in the Standard https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/feeble-exchange-united-the-country-in-disdain-for-its-wouldbe-leaders-a4291856.html - as some form of body-shaming really is clutching at straws.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020
    Also has a super annoying habit of referring to terrorism as "counterterrorism" which makes no sense and she does it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NL-zN63BBQ
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

TBB, a smirk is a facial expression. A form of non-verbal communication. Trying to frame the phrase "perm-smirk" as some form of body-shaming really is clutching at straws.

It's hardly deliberate is it? It's what her face looks like when she is not smiling. I believe it is known as a resting [female dog] face by some.

It's all a bit like BoJo - there is so much material that could be used to criticise her, why the need for cheap shots and questions about her parents?
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020

rjsterry said:

TBB, a smirk is a facial expression. A form of non-verbal communication. Trying to frame the phrase "perm-smirk" as some form of body-shaming really is clutching at straws.

It's hardly deliberate is it? It's what her face looks like when she is not smiling. I believe it is known as a resting [female dog] face by some.

It's all a bit like BoJo - there is so much material that could be used to criticise her, why the need for cheap shots and questions about her parents?
    "pulling the ladder up" is a well known phenomenon and is fairly hypocritical - presumably that's the angle they're going at, no?

And the smirks are awkward when she's saying things that are fairly serious, which you typically have to do as home secretary.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

"pulling the ladder up" is a well known phenomenon and is fairly hypocritical - presumably that's the angle they're going at, no?

And the smirks are awkward when she's saying things that are fairly serious, which you typically have to do as home secretary.
    She is not an immigrant. If she had chosen to immigrate to the UK, and then made it harder I could understand, but she didn't. She is being asked about her parents' choice, and my hypothesis is that this happening because of her race. Sajid Javid is thrown into the mix, but none of the other members of the cabinet with foreign ancestors and white skin are in the firing line.

What is particularly odd is that they have just made non-EU immigration easier, so the "pulling the ladder up" bit doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense when the asylum rules haven't changed at all.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Perma-smirk wasn't invented exclusively for Patel. But she does seem to take an unnatural glee in kicking people out of the country on questionable grounds.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

She is not an immigrant. If she had chosen to immigrate to the UK, and then made it harder I could understand, but she didn't. She is being asked about her parents' choice, and my hypothesis is that this happening because of her race. Sajid Javid is thrown into the mix, but none of the other members of the cabinet with foreign ancestors and white skin are in the firing line.

What is particularly odd is that they have just made non-EU immigration easier, so the "pulling the ladder up" bit doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense when the asylum rules haven't changed at all.

Like I said I don't really know the accusation and I'm working on the assumption that the claim that her parents wouldn't get in on the new rules is true - if not then yes, the whole thing is nonsense and probably driven by her background.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344
    elbowloh said:

:)

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Did Pritti Patel ever appear in the inexplicable crushes thread? I've got the major hots for her.
  • ballysmate
    Not inexplicable at all.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344
    I like Babita Sharma (BBC Newsday).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Not inexplicable at all.

I thought I was alone. Can we form a support group?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

rjsterry said:

Like I said I don't really know the accusation and I'm working on the assumption that the claim that her parents wouldn't get in on the new rules is true - if not then yes, the whole thing is nonsense and probably driven by her background.

You know what Rick? It is possible, however unlikely, that non White, non Christian, non Male, non Straight people can be asshats. Sometimes you need to look for the simple answer.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    Longshot said:

rjsterry said:

You know what Rick? It is possible, however unlikely, that non White, non Christian, non Male, non Straight people can be asshats. Sometimes you need to look for the simple answer.
    That's basically what I'm arguing?
  • rjsterry
    Blimey, what did RC do?
    Pinnacle Monzonite