Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    And the 'moral' difference in killing a fox by ripping it shreds with a pack of dogs vs hitting it with a lump of wood is...?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,455
    edited December 2019
    orraloon said:

And the 'moral' difference in killing a fox by ripping it shreds with a pack of dogs vs hitting it with a lump of wood is...?

True, imagine the bile spewed on here if Rees-Mogg went Fox hunting and killed a fox...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

True, imagine the bile spewed on here if Rees-Mogg went Fox hunting and killed a fox...
    Big difference in putting something out of its misery (as claimed) and killing for fun.
    But blood sports probably deserve their own thread if this discussion is not to derail the thread.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,568
    I'm more intersted to know how often he plays baseball.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    shortfall said:

Pross said:

That anyone thinks a person's political leanings and thoughts on Brexit are vaguely relevant to them battering and animal with a bat.

I make no comment on the rights or wrongs of this but if you've been following the Brexit thread for the past 3 years can you imagine the outpouring if say Jacob Rees Mogg had battered a fox to death,?

The Upper Sixth may have organised a sit in in the Common Room.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,319
    edited December 2019

I'm more intersted to know how often he plays baseball.

It's faintly plausible if one used a cricket bat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

It's definitely demonstrated that nobody on Twitter knows anything about foxes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

damn city dwellers :D blame a diet of experiencing wildlife through tv documentaries anthropomorphising them and a diet of emoting about it on twitter

there are several urban foxes that wander through my garden,but Ive never felt the need to baseball bat them to death
  • rjsterry
    edited December 2019
    awavey said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

damn city dwellers :D blame a diet of experiencing wildlife through tv documentaries anthropomorphising them and a diet of emoting about it on twitter

there are several urban foxes that wander through my garden,but Ive never felt the need to baseball bat them to death
    I was referring to the idea that urban foxes don't approach people, which is nonsense.

Maugham should have picked a more sturdy mesh for his chicken run and certainly should have stayed off twitter, but the idea that foxes are cute little furries that wouldn't hurt a fly is misguided. If it was a rat he'd killed there wouldn't be a word of protest.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    They're been driven out of the countryside and the Urban environment is crawling with them. They have every right to be on this planet - more than we do.
    Yup, came back from the snooker hall at 2am on my bike in Cheltenham once, decided (after winning a match) in a moment of cavalier euphoria, to use the slanted kerbs of the cycle path along and around the big roundabout on Lansdowne Road, to do a bunny hop.
    The bike I had - a rare and quirky Russian thing, collapsed underneath me and left me on splayed out on the road. The bike collapsed in such a way that it cushioned the impact and I was unhurt. Not only that, my very old one piece ash cue survived.
    As I lay there, slightly bemused, slightly surprised, two foxes passed me, one stopped to sniff my foot and then they sauntered on.
  • awavey
    rjsterry said:

I was referring to the idea that urban foxes don't approach people, which is nonsense.

Maugham should have picked a more sturdy mesh for his chicken run and certainly should have stayed off twitter, but the idea that foxes are cute little furries that wouldn't hurt a fly is misguided. If it was a rat he'd killed there wouldn't be a word of protest.

ah sorry misunderstood, and yes you are right urban foxes arent remotely fussed about being around people and will happily approach you, and also as your photo shows happy to wander around in the daytime too, and whilst they arent cute fury friendly animals by any stretch of the imagination, neither are rats, bashing their heads in with a baseball bat isnt on imo
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Intrigued may be the wrong word for this, amazed more like.
    The waiting list time for a season ticket at Lambeau Field the home of the Green Bay Packers is approximately 30 years. Avid fans register their new born babies on the list which currently has about 130,000 people waiting for a season ticket.
    Btw. Unlike all the other NFL teams, the Green Bay Packers are a publicly owned non profit corporation.
    Go Pack Go.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    awavey said:

rjsterry said:

I was referring to the ideai that urban foxes don't approach people, which is nonsense.

ah sorry misunderstood, and yes you are right urban foxes arent remotely fussed about being around people and will happily approach you, and also as your photo shows happy to wander around in the daytime too, and whilst they arent cute fury friendly animals by any stretch of the imagination, neither are rats, bashing their heads in with a baseball bat isnt on imo
    No I don't think it is. Not sure how charitable I would be if one had got in with my rabbits, though. I think I'd prioritise the welfare of the rabbits.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• awavey
    mr_goo said:

Intrigued may be the wrong word for this, amazed more like.
    The waiting list time for a season ticket at Lambeau Field the home of the Green Bay Packers is approximately 30 years. Avid fans register their new born babies on the list which currently has about 130,000 people waiting for a season ticket.
    Btw. Unlike all the other NFL teams, the Green Bay Packers are a publicly owned non profit corporation.
    Go Pack Go.

isnt that true of some football teams in the UK as well though ?

as I remember reading an article like this (it was just top of the google search my memory isnt that good) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2397623.stm where its reckoned that there are a significant amount of season ticket holders at some clubs who are deceased but the family keep the tickets going and pass it down as the waiting list to join is so long
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

I was referring to the ideai that urban foxes don't approach people, which is nonsense.

No I don't think it is. Not sure how charitable I would be if one had got in with my rabbits, though. I think I'd prioritise the welfare of the rabbits.
    I have no problem with a nuisance fox being humanely dispatched. This guy's mistake was to go on Twitter and tell the world that he'd done it whilst hungover, dressed in his wife's kimono and using a baseball bat (I'm pretty sure a city dwelling QC doesn't play much baseball). It smacks of a publicity hungry buffoon with too high an opinion of himself, which also ties in with all his anti Brexit legal cases and rhetoric.
  • pinno
    edited January 2020
    rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

It would be your fault for keeping a rabbit in an enclosure that was susceptible to foxes. If you were hungry and in my garden and I left some sausages out...
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

It would be your fault for keeping a rabbit in an enclosure that was susceptible to foxes. If you were hungry and in my garden and I left some sausages out...
    I've gone to some lengths to ensure it isn't but this is not as straightforward as it might seem. Foxes have repeatedly broken a large hole in my fence as we are on a route between two neighbours that feed them.

You'll have a hard time persuading farmers or anyone else who keeps animals that predation by foxes or anything else is just one of those things that they should put up with.

Rights are a human invention. You very quickly run into difficulties applying them to animals: why should a fox not be hunted if it itself has a right to hunt as a normal expression of its behaviour.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

between two neighbours that feed them.

Why would someone do that? Do they feed cockroaches, rats and fleas too?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,455
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

I've gone to some lengths to ensure it isn't but this is not as straightforward as it might seem. Foxes have repeatedly broken a large hole in my fence as we are on a route between two neighbours that feed them.

You'll have a hard time persuading farmers or anyone else who keeps animals that predation by foxes or anything else is just one of those things that they should put up with.

Rights are a human invention. You very quickly run into difficulties applying them to animals: why should a fox not be hunted if it itself has a right to hunt as a normal expression of its behaviour.
    Good post RJS.

Just to add, we have loads of urban foxes round our way but we haven't seen any in our garden since we've had dogs. A few may have sneaked through at night as the hounds sometime pickup an interesting scent but generally they know to steer clear.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

They're a lot prettier than cockroaches. You'd have to be a particularly miserable git to not enjoy seeing a family of four cubs play-fighting at the bottom of the garden, even when you know full well that they'll be trashing that same garden and leaving runny turds on your doorstep a few months later. Sliced white is probably not the healthiest option, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

I have no problem with a nuisance fox being humanely dispatched. This guy's mistake was to go on Twitter and tell the world that he'd done it whilst hungover, dressed in his wife's kimono and using a baseball bat (I'm pretty sure a city dwelling QC doesn't play much baseball). It smacks of a publicity hungry buffoon with too high an opinion of himself, which also ties in with all his anti Brexit legal cases and rhetoric.
    I think it is important to not read too much into a couple of tweets, poorly judged as they undoubtedly are. The format seems to lull all its users into forgetting that they are not just talking to a handful of friends down the pub.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    Critters here are not endearing themselves either. So desperately dry that they are eating *anything* that may be vaguely fresh and juicy. That means the silver birches, ornamental pear tree and claret ash are being steadily munched because there nothing else around that isn't drier than a stale cracker...

Significant Other has resorted to a mixture of garlic, vinegar and tabasco sprayed around the trees to ward off varmints... dunno if it will work.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

They're a lot prettier than cockroaches. You'd have to be a particularly miserable git to not enjoy seeing a family of four cubs play-fighting at the bottom of the garden, even when you know full well that they'll be trashing that same garden and leaving runny turds on your doorstep a few months later. Sliced white is probably not the healthiest option, though.
    I can't find any cute cockroach pictures.

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

I think it is important to not read too much into a couple of tweets, poorly judged as they undoubtedly are. The format seems to lull all its users into forgetting that they are not just talking to a handful of friends down the pub.
    I take your point but he's an experienced QC with 178,000 Twitter followers so I don't think he can claim naivete. He strikes me as an egotistical blowhard who got what he deserved when his Tweet backfired.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Whodathunk it? A 'leading barrister' is a bit egocentric?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,143

rjsterry said:

We're working on a site that's infested with rats and pigeons. The owners want us to help get rid of them.
    The owners friends' go out twice a day and chuck loads of bread and seeds on the lawn to "feed the birds" :/

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

Hunting as a means to live is not the same as hunting as a form of ‘expression’.

If you accept that humans have an absolute right to do anything they want to anything that isn’t human then dog baiting etc. should be allowed.

Fortunately, the world is not that binary. Some pretty disgusting things are done to animals legally and some things are illegal. The boundaries are very inconsistent but there are boundaries in a civilised society.

Most people agree living creatures deserve some form of protection from abuse so no, the fox shouldn’t expect to be hunted unless it is by something hunting it to eat it. And no fox hunting isn’t a dog feeding exercise.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Farmers?! Where do you live?

Having worked as a teenager on farms locally (and I live in the sticks, next door to a huge dairy farm), foxes rarely kill lambs for example. They wouldn't attack a calf and if there are holes in your fence, then they will get into a chicken pen. If the pen is secure, they won't get in. They may kill a few chickens but Mink, Stoats and Ferrets will kill all of them.
    rjsterry said:

A normal expression of behaviour is pulling a trigger on a gun, setting traps and poisoning? What reason in this modern age would we have for hunting a fox?
    'Rights are a human invention'. Wtf does that mean in the wider scheme of things?
    rjsterry said:

You very quickly run into difficulties applying them to animals...

Uh?

Nature has a balance. We as a species are brilliant at f*cking that balance up. All species are part of that balance. If there is imbalance, it's our doing. If foxes now live in greater density in the urban environment (and don't forget, 70% of foxes are killed on the road), it's our doing.
    We cannot farm every inch of the countryside and dangle prey in front of their noses and then complain about them.

I am not looking at a fox as a cute, furry animal, i'm looking at a fox that is part of the food chain, within an ecosystem.
    So it's not about applying rights.

• rjsterry
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

awavey said:

rjsterry said:

Hunting as a means to live is not the same as hunting as a form of ‘expression’.

If you accept that humans have an absolute right to do anything they want to anything that isn’t human then dog baiting etc. should be allowed.

Fortunately, the world is not that binary. Some pretty disgusting things are done to animals legally and some things are illegal. The boundaries are very inconsistent but there are boundaries in a civilised society.

Most people agree living creatures deserve some form of protection from abuse so no, the fox shouldn’t expect to be hunted unless it is by something hunting it to eat it. And no fox hunting isn’t a dog feeding exercise.
    Foxes (like domestic cats and probably a few others) don't only hunt/kill to feed. Ask anyone who's seen the aftermath when a fox has got into a henhouse.

On the other hand, humans are quite capable of killing animals, whether for food, population control or other reason, without abusing them or inflicting unnecessary suffering. I'm not remotely pro-hunting, but I do think people need to get away from the Beatrix Potter view of the natural world.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

... but I do think people need to get away from the Beatrix Potter view of the natural world.

Morstar made very valid points (more eloquently than I did) and in doing, did not express any 'Beatrix Potter' view.