Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited October 2023
    rjsterry said:

USB-C cables and what the difference is between cheapo and expensive.

https://youtu.be/AD5aAd8Oy84?si=25JO2_n9wfQSdwV2

Without looking it can say it's down to the cables (copper) and shielding for interference consequently providing better data throughput.

When you think nearly half of those connectors require wires, it's impressive.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Without looking it can say it's down to the cables (copper) and shielding for interference consequently providing better data throughput.

There's way more to it than that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    I imagine it's mostly the soil/sub base getting saturated beneath the tarmac. There are a few mechanisms that then reduce the capacity of the ground to support vehicle loads from above.

Can someone explain why wet weather on its own causes big potholes.

I always thought it was the water freezing which cracked and popped the surface.

• Can someone explain why wet weather on its own causes big potholes.

I always thought it was the water freezing which cracked and popped the surface.

Pressure of the water being forced into a small hole by vehicle tyres will break it further.
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

No there's not. It's like wire n connectors and shielding to eliminate interference.

Piece of p1ss.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2023

pblakeney said:

No there's not. It's like wire n connectors and shielding to eliminate interference.

Piece of p1ss.
    Says the guy who hasn't watched the video. My thoughts were the same as yours prior to watching. You learn more from listening than talking. Well, some do.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited October 2023

pblakeney said:

Piece of p1ss.
    Nope. Very on brand for a Musk fan, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Piece of p1ss.
    Says the guy who hasn't watched the video. My thoughts were the same as yours prior to watching. You learn more from listening than talking. Well, some do.
    Can I have a synopsis?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    pblakeney said:

Glad I only use my USB C for charging
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Piece of p1ss.
    Can I have a synopsis?
    There's processors and all kind of sh!t in there.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Piece of p1ss.
    Can I have a synopsis?
    There's processors and all kind of sh!t in there.

Hmmm, I wonder how the different voltages work?

5 V, 9 V, 12v, 15 V and 20v, clever stuff.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

Gets in the cracks and washes away the sub-base causing a void. If the surface isn’t cracked then it shouldn’t happen though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

Gets in the cracks and washes away the sub-base causing a void. If the surface isn’t cracked then it shouldn’t happen though.
    Thanks.

Spot where I punctured last year which would be considered a bad road on the Ukrainian front last year, with a dozen stricken cars with punctures in Jan 2023, already has a bunch of potholes appearing again.

Worst are the road with busses (unsurprisingly). They don't just create a big hole, they seem to explode and spray the contents all across the bike path. Seems to have started very early this year; doesn't bode well for winter riding.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Thanks.

Spot where I punctured last year which would be considered a bad road on the Ukrainian front last year, with a dozen stricken cars with punctures in Jan 2023, already has a bunch of potholes appearing again.

Worst are the road with busses (unsurprisingly). They don't just create a big hole, they seem to explode and spray the contents all across the bike path. Seems to have started very early this year; doesn't bode well for winter riding.
    They just don't fix them properly anymore, presumably due to budgets. They should cut around the hole, patch it and seal it but now they just chuck some blacktop in the hole and give it a bit of a wack to fix the immediate safety problem. Not sure what has happened to all the money that was promised for fixing potholes but as the money being saved by scrapping HS2 is being promised towards fixing it we'll all be cycling on beautifully smooth roads in a few years obviously
  • They've fixed some potholes properly in Richmond Park and it is sad that it is noticeable how much better they are than the ones on the roads generally.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Thanks.

They just don't fix them properly anymore, presumably due to budgets. They should cut around the hole, patch it and seal it but now they just chuck some blacktop in the hole and give it a bit of a wack to fix the immediate safety problem. Not sure what has happened to all the money that was promised for fixing potholes but as the money being saved by scrapping HS2 is being promised towards fixing it we'll all be cycling on beautifully smooth roads in a few years obviously

Yeah, the M4 and the A34 are royally fuckedup!! Huge potholes on the inside lane where most of the lorries go and the A34 is like a roller-coaster with huge bumps and undulations where the whole carriageway is failing. Patching that is never going to work. Needs digging down to the sub base and building back up again. lets hope some HS2 money goes there and the other 10,000 miles of UK roads that are in a ruinous state.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    ^^^^

Maybe my post shoudl be in the seemingly-trivial-things -that-annoy-you thread.

• photonic69

Following on from the above - I'm always amazed at the number of tyre carcasses strewn along the length of the Motorways now. It used to be a rare sighting but along the A34 and M4 we lost count of how many we saw. Yes, we are dull enough to count random sh!t on longer journeys.

• focuszing723
    This coming week, around 100 world leaders, tech bosses, academics and AI researchers are gathering at the UK's Bletchley Park campus, once home to the codebreakers who helped secure victory during World War Two. Their purpose is to take part in discussions about how best to maximise the benefits of this powerful technology while minimising the risks.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67172230

It performed satisfactorily at Dollis Hill on 8 December 1943 and was dismantled and shipped to Bletchley Park, where it was delivered on 18 January and re-assembled by Harry Fensom and Don Horwood. It was operational in January and it successfully attacked its first message on 5 February 1944.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer#:~:text=It performed satisfactorily at Dollis,message on 5 February 1944.

I Like that. Eighty odd years ago, blink of an eye.
  • focuszing723
    edited October 2023

Eighty years!
  • focuszing723

You couldn't exactly use it to communicate as a Cakeist!
  • focuszing723
    8 0

E i g h t y
    i
    g
    h
    t
    y
  • Pross
    Surprised Musk hasn't claimed he invented it.
  • focuszing723
    Pross said:

Surprised Musk hasn't claimed he invented it.

The evolution is incredible though, from that to this.

Crazy
  • focuszing723

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

Eighty years!

Longer than it took from going from the Wright brothers to landing on the moon!
  • focuszing723
    Jezyboy said:

Eighty years!

Longer than it took from going from the Wright brothers to landing on the moon!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPwMdZOlPo8
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

Eighty years!

ChatGPT is deeply underwhelming.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

Eighty years!

ChatGPT is deeply underwhelming.
    How about the eighty year evolution to a touch screen device you can do this on?
  • These votes for the velo whatever it was cyclist of the year.

Jeremy Whittle had Remco as number 1, Pippa York didn't have MVDP in the top 5.