Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

These votes for the velo whatever it was cyclist of the year.

Jeremy Whittle had Remco as number 1, Pippa York didn't have MVDP in the top 5.

I’m expecting to hear of some adverse analytical findings if the panel were drug tested. Roglic higher than Jonas on one card. The only ones close to sensible seem to be the Belgian and the Tour Magazine German guy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

Eighty years!

ChatGPT is deeply underwhelming.
    How about the eighty year evolution to a touch screen device you can do this on?
    What about it? Radar was developed from something the size of a large building to something light enough to put in a small plane in less than a decade. People can develop technology remarkably quickly if there is a need.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Eighty years!

How about the eighty year evolution to a touch screen device you can do this on?
    What about it? Radar was developed from something the size of a large building to something light enough to put in a small plane in less than a decade. People can develop technology remarkably quickly if there is a need.

Been quite slow, if you ask me. We were doing this in 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6SbvrjxZA
  • These votes for the velo whatever it was cyclist of the year.

Top GC riding from Jonas there: barely wins a stage yet comes out on top overall.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited November 2023

Top GC riding from Jonas there: barely wins a stage yet comes out on top overall.
    True, MVDP had 16 first places out of 36, but 4 voters decided he wasn't even in the top 5.

• rjsterry
    edited November 2023

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Eighty years!

Been quite slow, if you ask me. We were doing this in 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6SbvrjxZA
    I'd suggest the need for that kind of thing was somewhat less urgent. They weren't too far off with their prediction. Ethernet cabling has been installed in some new build housing since the late '90s/early '00s and
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

True, MVDP had 16 first places out of 36, but 4 voters decided he wasn't even in the top 5.

It's bizarre that some of those are making a living from commenting on cycling. I know there'll always be some subjectivity on the value of various wins and IMHO you could make a case for any one of JV, Pog or MVDP being the top rider but how anyone can place Philipsen above MVDP is beyond me. It's almost like they've done their judging solely on watching the Tour. That said, he rates higher in the PCS rankings too.
  • The AI safety summit, it's all nice and dandy for the short term, but we're still wangered when AI can evolve itself and use the internet for it's memory/brain.
  • The only chance if we can Borg it out.

• Pross
    Dormer bungalows - what is the point in them? You don't have the main advantage of a bungalow of having everything on the same level with no stairs but end up with sloping ceilings making your upstairs rooms less practical. There are loads of them on the 1970s estate I live on and similar vintage estates in the area and they're mixed in with normal two storey houses so it doesn't seem to be a planning restriction on building height.

Also, bungalows that you have to climb up steps to access or that have steeply sloping terraced gardens.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    Pross said:

Dormer bungalows - what is the point in them? You don't have the main advantage of a bungalow of having everything on the same level with no stairs but end up with sloping ceilings making your upstairs rooms less practical. There are loads of them on the 1970s estate I live on and similar vintage estates in the area and they're mixed in with normal two storey houses so it doesn't seem to be a planning restriction on building height.

Also, bungalows that you have to climb up steps to access or that have steeply sloping terraced gardens.

Were they originally dormer bungalows, or just bungalows?
  • Pross

Pross said:

Built as dormers I believe unless every one has been converted.
  • First.Aspect
    edited November 2023
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Built as dormers I believe unless every one has been converted.
    Wouldn't be surprised to be honest, particularly if they are all the pig ugly boxes that sprout out of roofs.

They are shit though I agree. The house we are imminently leaving is all in the roof space upstairs. Quirky but you do end up stooping a lot of just not using the floor space. It is also loud when the wind gets up.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,195
    I didn't know Primoz Roglic and Bjarne Riis were in Kraftwerk.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    False finger nails - just why?
  • First.Aspect
    Short cut. Option to change an important part of one's appearance at a whim.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

I'll attempt an answer based on my wife. People who want long fingernails for appearances at the weekend but are not permitted at work.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    False fingernails are just horrible.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I'll attempt an answer based on my wife. People who want long fingernails for appearances at the weekend but are not permitted at work.

I don't get the long fingernails thing in the first place... they look like talons and that the wearer might want to scratch someone's eyes out.

I suppose the counter argument is that they would be good for getting excess wax out of one's ears, if used carefully.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

pblakeney said:

I don't get the long fingernails thing in the first place... they look like talons and that the wearer might want to scratch someone's eyes out.

I suppose the counter argument is that they would be good for getting excess wax out of one's ears, if used carefully.
    One of those personal taste things. Probably best not over thought.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

There’s false and false though. A lot of them are glued on but they’re the ones that just look like natural nails. My wife and younger daughter have them done as growing real nails long usually ends up with some of them getting broken.

False eyelashes are the thing I really don’t get, they look horrendous (as do the ridiculous obviously fake nails).
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

There’s false and false though. A lot of them are glued on but they’re the ones that just look like natural nails. My wife and younger daughter have them done as growing real nails long usually ends up with some of them getting broken.

False eyelashes are the thing I really don’t get, they look horrendous (as do the ridiculous obviously fake nails).

Generally I tend to prefer the 'natural' look (in its many forms), so over-exaggeration of any feature (lashes, nails etc) or distortion (e.g. high heels) isn't to my taste, though 'keeping tidy' what one's got doesn't grate. I suppose in (male) terms, it might be the difference between keeping in shape and extreme body building, which ends up just looking comical.
  • pinno

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Generally I tend to prefer the 'natural' look (in its many forms), so over-exaggeration of any feature (lashes, nails etc) or distortion (e.g. high heels) isn't to my taste, though 'keeping tidy' what one's got doesn't grate. I suppose in (male) terms, it might be the difference between keeping in shape and extreme body building, which ends up just looking comical.
    There are two sisters who live locally and of a decent evening are out walking a lot.
    Neither of them wear any make up. They both have super figures, long straight (un-dyed) hair and it's so refreshing to see.
    Accident black spots the both of them.

On the other 'side', there's a young woman who works at the local DIY store and she is plastered in make up and it does her no favours. She has a nice face but it needs scrubbing with paraffin.
    Channel 4 did this documentary where they got women to ditch the make up and the vast majority were perceived by others as being more attractive. The skin was healthier by not being clogged up with foundation.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

There are two sisters who live locally and of a decent evening are out walking a lot.
    Neither of them wear any make up. They both have super figures, long straight (un-dyed) hair and it's so refreshing to see.
    Accident black spots the both of them.

On the other 'side', there's a young woman who works at the local DIY store and she is plastered in make up and it does her no favours. She has a nice face but it needs scrubbing with paraffin.
    Channel 4 did this documentary where they got women to ditch the make up and the vast majority were perceived by others as being more attractive. The skin was healthier by not being clogged up with foundation.
    Just a thought, but maybe the average Cakestopper is not the intended viewing audience.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Why you never see any anti protest protesters? That's worth protesting for I reckon.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

Also on behalf of my wife. Hysterectomy lead to early menopause which stopped her nails having any strength leaving them very short and scruffy. She now has 'gels' to make them nice again. Its for her more than hoping a man approves.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rjsterry

pblakeney said:

Also on behalf of my wife. Hysterectomy lead to early menopause which stopped her nails having any strength leaving them very short and scruffy. She now has 'gels' to make them nice again. Its for her more than hoping a man approves.
    Well quite.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732
    Sitting on the top deck of a bus at the front. The bus lane looks way too small for the width of the bus.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.