Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2023
    pblakeney said:

Obviously this is right in my wheelhouse at the moment. But this chart and the tweet it is in reference to (“thesis of research that suggests the rise in mental disorders is related to too little play children have without parental oversight”)

Isn’t that just down to parents being over protective?
    They’ll have genuine reasons but still.

Presumably.

To give a trivial example to illustrate the point; I've seen photos of children playing in the street where I currently live, back in the 30s and 40s. As in, any child who can walk.

There is *no way* you could do that now. Far too much traffic. It'd be a horrific accident or just a tonne of road rage aimed at the children before the end of the week.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    It is quite common in Korea to see very young children walking to the local shop in the evening or playing in the local playground on their own. Korea has very high levels of suicide and terrible mental health in the older children.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959
    edited October 2023

pblakeney said:

Obviously this is right in my wheelhouse at the moment. But this chart and the tweet it is in reference to (“thesis of research that suggests the rise in mental disorders is related to too little play children have without parental oversight”)

Presumably.

To give a trivial example to illustrate the point; I've seen photos of children playing in the street where I currently live, back in the 30s and 40s. As in, any child who can walk.

There is *no way* you could do that now. Far too much traffic. It'd be a horrific accident or just a tonne of road rage aimed at the children before the end of the week.
    Yes it was all very jumpers for goalposts back then.

How about parks? Lots of those in Cambridge. Are they as well used by kids as they used to be?

We used to run around with cap guns playing cowboys and Indians, but that's considered racist and promoting gang violence these days.

Just goes to show you can't be both woke and happy.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732

It is quite common in Korea to see very young children walking to the local shop in the evening or playing in the local playground on their own. Korea has very high levels of suicide and terrible mental health in the older children.

There is a vast economic disparity between the average/below average income and the more affluent society. The pressure to succeed and make something of yourself is huge as many parents see a productive child as a way out of their own poverty. This massive inequality influenced all these Korean programs such as Squid Game, Sweet Home, Parasite, Black Knight and a host of other dystopian zobie horror films.
    Failure is not an option for many kids. It's really sad.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    edited October 2023

pblakeney said:

Presumably.

How about parks? Lots of those in Cambridge. Are they as well used by kids as they used to be?

We used to run around with cap guns playing cowboys and Indians, but that's considered racist and promoting gang violence these days.

The dogs are a real nuisance in our local park. it's near the school and I recon we get an email once a fortnight that there are nuisance dogs and children should be kept away.

Perhaps I am being too captain cautious there, who knows.

TBH if I let my daughter walk there on her own I reckon i'd have social services at the door pretty sharpish.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

Presumably.

The dogs are a real nuisance in our local park. it's near the school and I recon we get an email once a fortnight that there are nuisance dogs and children should be kept away.

TBH if I let my daughter walk there on her own I reckon i'd have social services at the door pretty sharpish.
    I was going to dismiss fear of dogs, but it's been a bit of a thing in the news lately hasn't it.

I think dogs were domesticated when I was younger, and I do recall being told not to pet or approach other people's dogs, and to watch out for dog poo in the 6 yard box.

Not wishing to be glib, but is a child more likely to get toxoplasmosis or a mauling, than be hit by a car on the way there?

If the latter, and you can eventually teach a child the green cross code, would you let them go to the park with friends on their own?
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

Presumably.

I was going to dismiss fear of dogs, but it's been a bit of a thing in the news lately hasn't it.

I think dogs were domesticated when I was younger, and I do recall being told not to pet or approach other people's dogs, and to watch out for dog poo in the 6 yard box.

Not wishing to be glib, but is a child more likely to get toxoplasmosis or a mauling, than be hit by a car on the way there?

If the latter, and you can eventually teach a child the green cross code, would you let them go to the park with friends on their own?
    I take a different approach to my wife. I'm delighted when the children run off upstairs and play. Mrs wants to keep an eye on them.

If I could trust them to cross the road etc I'd definitely let them visit friends's houses in the neighbourhood on their own. Though that is a fairly high bar as I have had a few near misses myself with speeding cars and bikes coming the wrong way up etc.

A park however? Probably not tbh. I don't feel especially safe there when I'm on my own so I wouldn't feel especially safe with them there alone, not least as it's a good 10 minutes before I could get there in the event of a problem. If they're teenagers it's different obviously, I was heading into town on my own from 12/13 onwards and I like to think I'd be very chill about that too.

Younger than that in a park: I'd settle for just letting them do whatever while I sit on a bench, but I guess that's hardly the same.

At the moment the little one wants to include me in everything which is exhausting, though presumably I'll miss that when it stops.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

pblakeney said:

Presumably.

The swings in one of our local parks were very clearly destroyed by someone 'training' their fighting dog(s).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    My understanding is that studies consistently show that actual dangers to children aren't any higher than they used to be. That's the thing. There were always places not to go or touted not to take or tines to be back by.

I'm not a parent so I can't judge.
  • rick_chasey

My understanding is that studies consistently show that actual dangers to children aren't any higher than they used to be. That's the thing. There were always places not to go or touted not to take or tines to be back by.

Yeah. Having said that, my father in law (RIP) used to tell a story of a mate of his when he was 14, cycled into the river by mistake and drowned.

He cycled to the police station to tell them, and they then sent *him* on his bike to tell the parents...!

• First.Aspect

Yeah. Having said that, my father in law (RIP) used to tell a story of a mate of his when he was 14, cycled into the river by mistake and drowned.

He cycled to the police station to tell them, and they then sent *him* on his bike to tell the parents...!
    Well now we are getting into the realms of assessing probability aren't we.

Google number of canal drowning a year and assess that against, I don't know, asthma related fatalities.
  • TheBigBean

There is a vast economic disparity between the average/below average income and the more affluent society. The pressure to succeed and make something of yourself is huge as many parents see a productive child as a way out of their own poverty. This massive inequality influenced all these Korean programs such as Squid Game, Sweet Home, Parasite, Black Knight and a host of other dystopian zobie horror films.
    There is huge pressure for teenagers to study hard to get a place at a decent university. The amount of study involved often means very little sleep. There is also no work life balance when people have got jobs. I don't recognise the rest of your post though.
  • rick_chasey

Google number of canal drowning a year and assess that against, I don't know, asthma related fatalities.
    https://www.thewirh.com/blog/uk-statistics-year

Not high, though steadily falling since the 80s.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

To use Ricks least favourite thing, and discuss methodology instead of the point(!) How on earth is this calculated?

I probably live on a reasonably similar road to Rick (albeit in a town not a city) and there's no way you'd get children playing on it. Same for other roads up and down the country. So there aren't going to be many stats showing children injured from playing on roads that "used" to be safe to play on.

• rjsterry

I think there's a high degree of historic unwillingness to acknowledge what was going on. Have had similar conversations with parents and in laws about what they used to be allowed to do and how worried they are about us letting their grandchildren out to do much more supervised activities.

As the last few years have shown, exactly the same stuff went on; everyone just pretended they hadn't seen it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732

There is huge pressure for teenagers to study hard to get a place at a decent university. The amount of study involved often means very little sleep. There is also no work life balance when people have got jobs. I don't recognise the rest of your post though.
    I was chatting to a Korean student. All these programs are a comment on Korean society where you can't actively criticise the Government so it's done through TV and film.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    Jezyboy said:

To use Ricks least favourite thing, and discuss methodology instead of the point(!) How on earth is this calculated?

I probably live on a reasonably similar road to Rick (albeit in a town not a city) and there's no way you'd get children playing on it. Same for other roads up and down the country. So there aren't going to be many stats showing children injured from playing on roads that "used" to be safe to play on.

Crime statistics, health statistics. On a population level you would expect them to be informative. Don't ask me how you'd compensate for the fact we are all more sedentary.
  • First.Aspect

I was chatting to a Korean student. All these programs are a comment on Korean society where you can't actively criticise the Government so it's done through TV and film.
    Does the constant worry about nuclear anhialation from the north factor in to any of this?
  • First.Aspect
    edited October 2023
    rjsterry said:

I think there's a high degree of historic unwillingness to acknowledge what was going on. Have had similar conversations with parents and in laws about what they used to be allowed to do and how worried they are about us letting their grandchildren out to do much more supervised activities.

As the last few years have shown, exactly the same stuff went on; everyone just pretended they hadn't seen it.
    I suppose you are right. At what point do you balance the harms though?

I don't know. All I do on that front is let my cats play outside and hope they don't get flattened. Oh, and I recently rehomed a chicken to a free range environment, balanced with the risk of getting eaten by a fox.

It's exciting here.
  • TheBigBean

They're not really representative of K-drama though. There is plenty of criticism of the government, so I don't think it needs made-for-Netflix exposes for this purpose.

There are plenty of things to criticise about Korea and Korean society, but I don't think you are on the right track.
  • TheBigBean

Does the constant worry about nuclear anhialation from the north factor in to any of this?
    I don't think anyone really expects that. There are mental health issues with North Korean refugees adapting to life in South Korea.
  • First.Aspect

I don't think anyone really expects that. There are mental health issues with North Korean refugees adapting to life in South Korea.
    Do they get worried about nuclear anhialation from the north?
  • TheBigBean

Do they get worried about nuclear anhialation from the north?
    No they struggle to adapt to life in South Korea.
  • rick_chasey
    Obvious advantage of making roads safer especially for cycling. Etc
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    rjsterry said:

This.
    More innocent in days gone by, but much better not to be hidden.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I suppose you are right. At what point do you balance the harms though?

I don't know. All I do on that front is let my cats play outside and hope they don't get flattened. Oh, and I recently rehomed a chicken to a free range environment, balanced with the risk of getting eaten by a fox.

It's exciting here.
    Given Classical writers were moaning about the decline of civilization and worrying about the youth of the day, I think we'll be fine.

Nostalgia is a nice name for dying brain cells.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

This.
    Nah, everyone knew.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

This.
    Nah, everyone knew.
    The children didn't. At least not in my peer group. I had a very innocent childhood.
    Finding out that things were going on was a complete shock to me as an adult.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2023
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

This.
    Nah, everyone knew.
    The children didn't. At least not in my peer group. I had a very innocent childhood.
    Finding out that things were going on was a complete shock to me as an adult.
    Sorry, should have clarified I meant adults. Although there were certainly rumours. Granted I am a bit younger than you.

On a lighter note, seems mad now that our Scout Leader would smoke Hamlet cigars during meetings. As a concession he would stand by the open fire exit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049

pblakeney said:

Presumably.

:smile:

Reminds me of 2 brothers who were from India and in the building trade in South London about 30 years back. The slogan on the side of their van read 'You've tried the Cowboys, now try the Indians'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]