Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Sitting on the top deck of a bus at the front. The bus lane looks way too small for the width of the bus.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Going to lead to some accidents.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    edited November 2023

Just what were you searching for!? 🤣
    Scratch that, don't want to know. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732

That tilt is all wrong! It's gonna be a bügger in a bike fit!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,195
    Who the f*ck designed that?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Is it April already.
  • First.Aspect
    https://road.cc/content/tech-news/saddlespur-bike-seat-has-patented-backrest-304951

I mean maybe, just maybe it would work for triathletes, who we already know, are perverts.
  • First.Aspect

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Just needs a dropper post to go with it...
  • briantrumpet

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/saddlespur-bike-seat-has-patented-backrest-304951

I mean maybe, just maybe it would work for triathletes, who we already know, are perverts.

I'd worry that along with putting their helmets on back to front that they'd mount this saddle with the phallus at the front too.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    One way to get a smile on their faces for race photos.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

I'd worry that along with putting their helmets on back to front that they'd mount this saddle with the phallus at the front too.

TBH it could bring a whole new meaning to "mounting the saddle"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    Could be a big market for female specific saddles?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • photonic69
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67382388

That's one hell of a roaming charge!!!
    Bet his kid was using it to play online games whilst on hols.

• briantrumpet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67382388

That's one hell of a roaming charge!!!
    Bet his kid was using it to play online games whilst on hols.

Bit of a shame he wasn't a Brexiteer. for the irony value.
  • briantrumpet
    One to cheer up @rick_chasey ...

Alternative headline: "Adults spend their own money".

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Yes, I have always wondered about the narrative of "oh you'll get the money from your parents eventually".

A) most people will get it beyond the point of usefulness and B) it creates all sorts of problems like this.

It's not your money. You have no say over how it's used.
  • One to cheer up @rick_chasey ...

I'm sure everyone will be amazed to learn that the article has absolutely nothing to do with the headline.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Both sets of my Grandparents had to be talked into spending their money. They were determined that they had to leave something for the grandkids. Took more conversations than I expected until they decided that perhaps enjoying their money wasn't actually wrong. Finally spent their last few years on a verity of cruises/holidays.

Very surprised to be having the same conversation with Mother at the moment. Back using all the same arguments again. 🤷‍♂️ People are weird about money.
  • JimD666 said:

Both sets of my Grandparents had to be talked into spending their money. They were determined that they had to leave something for the grandkids. Took more conversations than I expected until they decided that perhaps enjoying their money wasn't actually wrong. Finally spent their last few years on a verity of cruises/holidays.

Very surprised to be having the same conversation with Mother at the moment. Back using all the same arguments again. 🤷‍♂️ People are weird about money.

my mother got quoted £6k by the dentist and I cheered her up by pointing out that the taxman would be paying 40%
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    I think the best way to deal with this sort of thing is to give money to your kids (or whoever you want to give it to) well before you're on the way out, then they get to benefit earlier in life and the taxman has very little chance of getting his hands on a slice of it. Hence funding my kid through uni instead of loans and will give her a something to help her get on the housing ladder in the not too distant future.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet

I'm sure everyone will be amazed to learn that the article has absolutely nothing to do with the headline.

The Telegraph is a real mess at the moment, not least as the editor has gone awol, and no-one knows who might buy the business. It's not only rudderless, but without a captain either.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

Yes, I have always wondered about the narrative of "oh you'll get the money from your parents eventually".

A) most people will get it beyond the point of usefulness and B) it creates all sorts of problems like this.

It's not your money. You have no say over how it's used.
    It was a revelation to discover there is a point where money is no longer useful
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    First languages. Is my first language Italian or English? I started speaking in Italian, got here at the age of two and had to learn English. My English is like that of a reasonably literate native, my Italian has gaping holes in it and is clearly not as good as my English. so, is your first language the one you are best at or the first one chronologically?
    I've always assumed the one you are most fluent in, speak most often. so am I right in saying English is my first language? It would be confusing if not.
  • photonic69

First languages. Is my first language Italian or English? I started speaking in Italian, got here at the age of two and had to learn English. My English is like that of a reasonably literate native, my Italian has gaping holes in it and is clearly not as good as my English. so, is your first language the one you are best at or the first one chronologically?
    I've always assumed the one you are most fluent in, speak most often. so am I right in saying English is my first language? It would be confusing if not.

I always assumed that your "first language" is the one you swear in when you've hit your thumb with a hammer?

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,195

What language do you think in?

I sometimes think in French. it's poor French but it's still French.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

I would have said English, but a quick google tells me that it is Italian. First relates to chronology rather than preference. Also, note mother tongue is synonymous with first language - obviously needs to keep up with times and realise that fathers can speak to babies too.
  • veronese68
    pinno said:

What language do you think in?

I sometimes think in French. it's poor French but it's still French.
    After a few days in Italy I start to think and count in Italian, never think in French, not even when I'm there, so it's definitely not geographical.
  • veronese68

I would have said English, but a quick google tells me that it is Italian. First relates to chronology rather than preference. Also, note mother tongue is synonymous with first language - obviously needs to keep up with times and realise that fathers can speak to babies too.
    Interesting, as I was writing the question I was wondering if it was all nonsense.