Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

It is quite common in Korea to see very young children walking to the local shop in the evening or playing in the local playground on their own. Korea has very high levels of suicide and terrible mental health in the older children.

There is a vast economic disparity between the average/below average income and the more affluent society. The pressure to succeed and make something of yourself is huge as many parents see a productive child as a way out of their own poverty. This massive inequality influenced all these Korean programs such as Squid Game, Sweet Home, Parasite, Black Knight and a host of other dystopian zobie horror films.
    Failure is not an option for many kids. It's really sad.
    There is huge pressure for teenagers to study hard to get a place at a decent university. The amount of study involved often means very little sleep. There is also no work life balance when people have got jobs. I don't recognise the rest of your post though.
    I was chatting to a Korean student. All these programs are a comment on Korean society where you can't actively criticise the Government so it's done through TV and film.
    Does the constant worry about nuclear anhialation from the north factor in to any of this?
    I don't think anyone really expects that. There are mental health issues with North Korean refugees adapting to life in South Korea.
    Do they get worried about nuclear anhialation from the north?
    No they struggle to adapt to life in South Korea.
    When you had your sense of humour removed, did it hurt?
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

My understanding is that studies consistently show that actual dangers to children aren't any higher than they used to be. That's the thing. There were always places not to go or touted not to take or tines to be back by.

I'm not a parent so I can't judge.

Yeah. Having said that, my father in law (RIP) used to tell a story of a mate of his when he was 14, cycled into the river by mistake and drowned.

He cycled to the police station to tell them, and they then sent *him* on his bike to tell the parents...!
    Well now we are getting into the realms of assessing probability aren't we.

Google number of canal drowning a year and assess that against, I don't know, asthma related fatalities.
    I think there's a high degree of historic unwillingness to acknowledge what was going on. Have had similar conversations with parents and in laws about what they used to be allowed to do and how worried they are about us letting their grandchildren out to do much more supervised activities.

As the last few years have shown, exactly the same stuff went on; everyone just pretended they hadn't seen it.
    I suppose you are right. At what point do you balance the harms though?

I don't know. All I do on that front is let my cats play outside and hope they don't get flattened. Oh, and I recently rehomed a chicken to a free range environment, balanced with the risk of getting eaten by a fox.

It's exciting here.
    Given Classical writers were moaning about the decline of civilization and worrying about the youth of the day, I think we'll be fine.

Nostalgia is a nice name for dying brain cells.
    I don't know about that. I look back fondly at being in the EU, for example. I'm fairly sure that was actually better.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

It is quite common in Korea to see very young children walking to the local shop in the evening or playing in the local playground on their own. Korea has very high levels of suicide and terrible mental health in the older children.

There is a vast economic disparity between the average/below average income and the more affluent society. The pressure to succeed and make something of yourself is huge as many parents see a productive child as a way out of their own poverty. This massive inequality influenced all these Korean programs such as Squid Game, Sweet Home, Parasite, Black Knight and a host of other dystopian zobie horror films.
    There is huge pressure for teenagers to study hard to get a place at a decent university. The amount of study involved often means very little sleep. There is also no work life balance when people have got jobs. I don't recognise the rest of your post though.
    I was chatting to a Korean student. All these programs are a comment on Korean society where you can't actively criticise the Government so it's done through TV and film.
    Does the constant worry about nuclear anhialation from the north factor in to any of this?
    I don't think anyone really expects that. There are mental health issues with North Korean refugees adapting to life in South Korea.
    One for the irony thread?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

As the last few years have shown, exactly the same stuff went on; everyone just pretended they hadn't seen it.

This.
    More innocent in days gone by, but much better not to be hidden.
    Nah, everyone knew.
    The children didn't. At least not in my peer group. I had a very innocent childhood.
    Finding out that things were going on was a complete shock to me as an adult.
    Sorry, should have clarified I meant adults. Although there were certainly rumours. Granted I am a bit younger than you.

On a lighter note, seems mad now that our Scout Leader would smoke Hamlet cigars during meetings. As a concession he would stand by the open fire exit.
    Ha! I remember if you went into a busy pub near closing time you wouldn't be able to see the other end of the bar for smoke.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

My understanding is that studies consistently show that actual dangers to children aren't any higher than they used to be. That's the thing. There were always places not to go or touted not to take or tines to be back by.

Yeah. Having said that, my father in law (RIP) used to tell a story of a mate of his when he was 14, cycled into the river by mistake and drowned.

He cycled to the police station to tell them, and they then sent *him* on his bike to tell the parents...!

Google number of canal drowning a year and assess that against, I don't know, asthma related fatalities.
    I think there's a high degree of historic unwillingness to acknowledge what was going on. Have had similar conversations with parents and in laws about what they used to be allowed to do and how worried they are about us letting their grandchildren out to do much more supervised activities.

I don't know. All I do on that front is let my cats play outside and hope they don't get flattened. Oh, and I recently rehomed a chicken to a free range environment, balanced with the risk of getting eaten by a fox.

It's exciting here.
    Given Classical writers were moaning about the decline of civilization and worrying about the youth of the day, I think we'll be fine.

I don't know about that. I look back fondly at being in the EU, for example. I'm fairly sure that was actually better.
    Meh. You can only move forward.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

This.
    Nah, everyone knew.
    The children didn't. At least not in my peer group. I had a very innocent childhood.
    Sorry, should have clarified I meant adults. Although there were certainly rumours. Granted I am a bit younger than you.

On a lighter note, seems mad now that our Scout Leader would smoke Hamlet cigars during meetings. As a concession he would stand by the open fire exit.
    Ha! I remember if you went into a busy pub near closing time you wouldn't be able to see the other end of the bar for smoke.
    A trip to the pub always required putting ones going out clothes in the wash, for us non smokers. It really was astonishing.

Same goes for advertising the things, if you think about it.
  • First.Aspect

One for the irony thread?
    I am hilarious.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It's exciting here.

?! With this fcuking govt. ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It's exciting here.

?! With this fcuking govt. ?
    They won't be around for long.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    I'm intrigued - has anyone seen Peter Bone and Sven Goran Eriksen in the same room together?
  • pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

This.
    Nah, everyone knew.

No different from the staff room in my school.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    Used to work at one time on an agrochemical production site. Hazardous / flammable stuff all over the shop so naturally it was a non smoking site. (Didn't stop it exploding occasionally) As a concession to the unionised nicotine addicts, deep within the bowels of the office block was a Smoking Room. It was a bit like a fish tank with massive windows (why??) but inside it was like the things the fire brigade do their breathing apparatus training in. 5 minutes in there would've taken a couple of years off your life.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732
    Munsford0 said:

Used to work at one time on an agrochemical production site. Hazardous / flammable stuff all over the shop so naturally it was a non smoking site. (Didn't stop it exploding occasionally) As a concession to the unionised nicotine addicts, deep within the bowels of the office block was a Smoking Room. It was a bit like a fish tank with massive windows (why??) but inside it was like the things the fire brigade do their breathing apparatus training in. 5 minutes in there would've taken a couple of years off your life.

Passive-agressive smoking?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    edited October 2023
    I lived in Canada when indoor smoking was banned, other than private homes.

Given the climate in a lot of the country (albeit not where I lived) outdoors wasn't an option in winter, so all these vented smoking boxes appeared in the corners of pubs. They looked grim. At least the parts that weren't obscured by the smoke.

Anyone remember the airport smoking areas that were around in some terminals a decade or two ago? Whatever happened to them? I used to enjoy watching the inmates.
  • Qatar had one for a while. Savage
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    I'm pretty sure the first flight I ever took had a smoking section at the rear. Buses and cinemas did for definite, it was grim back then in that respect. I always forget how much it has changed until going to a country where it is still allowed. How was allowing smoking in restaurants ever considered socially acceptable?
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I'm pretty sure the first flight I ever took had a smoking section at the rear. Buses and cinemas did for definite, it was grim back then in that respect. I always forget how much it has changed until going to a country where it is still allowed. How was allowing smoking in restaurants ever considered socially acceptable?

They had smoking and non smoking tables. Usually the latter was in a sh1t position and clouded in smoke from the former.

I always thought it was grossly inconsiderate when I went anywhere with a smoker or smokers and, knowing I didn't smoke, they smoked the whole time. It was socially acceptable to be a selfish w@nker.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    I seem to remember the same when I went to America as a kid but not on any european holidays around a similar time. I did a quick google and it seems like you could still smoke on long haul into the mid 90s.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/charter-flights-ban-smoking-1536719.html

Also, you could smoke on the tube until the Kings Cross fire in 1987!

I once got the train down to London and all the non-smoking seats were booked so I ended up in the smoking carriage. It was almost empty but all the smokers on the train seemed to have booked a non-smoking seat and then went into my carriage to smoke before returning to their smoke free carriage.
    Pross said:

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Pross said:

I'm pretty sure the first flight I ever took had a smoking section at the rear.

I remember planes having a smoking section, I once heard the reasons airlines were so quick to ban smoking is that it meant they didn't have to carry as much water for the air con system, so it actually saved them money in fuel.

• photonic69

Pross said:

I'm pretty sure the first flight I ever took had a smoking section at the rear.

I remember planes having a smoking section, I once heard the reasons airlines were so quick to ban smoking is that it meant they didn't have to carry as much water for the air con system, so it actually saved them money in fuel.

Yup, I used to smoke back in the day. Gave up 23 years ago. I recall sitting int he smoking section on a flight to South Africa. There was a guy sitting over the aisle from me chain-smoking Gauloise and the smoke was drifting into my eyes for the whole journey. Horrible!

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I experienced Iberia flights in 96/97 doing bi-weekly work trips to Barcelona where the smoking zone was one side of the aisle, non smoking the other. Weird. Just as well it wasn't long haul.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Fairly sure I read somewhere the air quality was counter-intuitively better when they had smokers (but not many smokers) as the air filters they had to use were much more effective.
  • photonic69
    Carrying on from the other thread....

It seems the Barbour Marketing Dept. has been give orders to make the brand appeal to a more inclusive audience...
    https://www.barbour.com/uk/mens/waxed-jackets

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Carrying on from the other thread....

It seems the Barbour Marketing Dept. has been give orders to make the brand appeal to a more inclusive audience...
    https://www.barbour.com/uk/mens/waxed-jackets

Next they'll do Hunters wellies. Never did understand the appeal of those... they are rubbish compared with Nora wellies, and are much more expensive.... though I suspect the owners of Hunters generally aren't wearing them for milking cows and standing in shït all day.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

I'm pretty sure the first flight I ever took had a smoking section at the rear...

Most definitely. Confirmation that I am odd. 😉 I used to book a seat in the smoking section even though I was a non-smoker as the company was generally much better.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766

Fairly sure I read somewhere the air quality was counter-intuitively better when they had smokers (but not many smokers) as the air filters they had to use were much more effective.

Yes, linked to what I said about carrying water. With smokers on board they had to replace the air more often, so better air quality and less likely to catch a bug due to recirculated air.
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I'm pretty sure the first flight I ever took had a smoking section at the rear...

Most definitely. Confirmation that I am odd. 😉 I used to book a seat in the smoking section even though I was a non-smoker as the company was generally much better.
    Although I've never been a habitual smoker, nearly all of my friends were. Non-smokers are boring 😬
  • First.Aspect
    I'm re watching The Wire.

I am warned at the start about strong and frequent language.

What's frequent language?

Is it words like often?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Is it words like often?

I really do need to get my copy back from a friend and see it for the fourth time from start to finish.

I frequently reference the crime scene that uses only idioms using the word 'fvck' to tell the story of how someone was shot, as a way of illustrating how adaptable words can be, and how much information is transmitted by the way you deliver words. Fvck yeah.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    edited October 2023

Is it words like often?

I really do need to get my copy back from a friend and see it for the fourth time from start to finish.

I frequently reference the crime scene that uses only idioms using the word 'fvck' to tell the story of how someone was shot, as a way of illustrating how adaptable words can be, and how much information is transmitted by the way you deliver words. Fvck yeah.
    2001 on a building site in Leicester. Terry the foreman (roll up permanently stuck to his bottom lip) comes running in to the building shouting "Get that fcuking plasterboard in 'cos it's fcuking fcuking it daan aat there".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect

Is it words like often?

That was used frequently, I agree.