Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    morstar said:

I do find David Favour and Alex Dietrich testiments compelling. Credible fighter pilots, why make it up and why risk being mocked and chalked up as loons?

They don't assume anything either they are just reporting what they saw and there capabilities. Clearly that should be taken seriously on many fronts.

Not really. US military is always front and centre on ‘credible’ UFO sightings.

It’s a deliberate policy of misinformation that’s been in use by the US for decades.

Cloud the world with loads of stories about alien encounters and weird objects so when somebody sees a ‘flying triangle’ (I.e. stealth fighter when it’s in test), it’s just more noise in the UFO realm.
    Here's a question, Earth is around 4.5 billion years old the universe is estimated at 13.8 billion years. Given Humanities evolution would you be surprised if these intelligent matter sightings were real? As we tap away on handheld devices wirelessly linked created within the last hundred years. We've sent probes to other planets.
  • focuszing723
    It's very arrogant or blissful not to believe this is a possiblity.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Oh, I believe it’s very possible.
    I’ll be more inclined to believe it when it’s not just the US military seeing these things.
    Even the biggest recorded UK UFO sighting was by US forces.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2023
    morstar said:

Oh, I believe it’s very possible.
    I’ll be more inclined to believe it when it’s not just the US military seeing these things.
    Even the biggest recorded UK UFO sighting was by US forces.
    It's not though, it's from two retired Naval pilots who are having their lives put under scrutiny for their professional experienced account, they have only described what they saw and don't elaborate what they think it could be.

Personally I'd want to see it to believe it. I do find it fascinating though.

I'd be floored but logic suggests it's a certainty relative to the Earth 4.5bn/Universes 13.8bn age and Humanities evolution.
  • focuszing723

There are over 700 quintillion planets in the universe.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

I do find David Favour and Alex Dietrich testiments compelling. Credible fighter pilots, why make it up and why risk being mocked and chalked up as loons?

They don't assume anything either they are just reporting what they saw and there capabilities. Clearly that should be taken seriously on many fronts.

Someone should point out to them just how far away the nearest habitable planet is.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    rjsterry said:

Someone should point out to them just how far away the nearest habitable planet is.
    Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

We don't know how other civilized planets technologies have evolved. Perhaps some probes have been travelling thousands, millions, billions of years?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    The amount of planets, the chances of just one of them nearest to Earth having the right conditions. That seems a likely/certain possibility to me.
  • focuszing723
    While our ancestors have been around for about six million years, the modern form of humans only evolved about 200,000 years ago. Civilization as we know it is only about 6,000 years old, and industrialization started in the earnest only in the 1800s.

And now we've sent probes to other planets and physically landed on one.

It's a certainty.
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

I'm right you're both wrong.

Hasta la vista
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    Based on our current knowledge. There could be a creature that treats sulphuric acid as we do oxygen. Probably not, but... ...my point is that human thought is often blinkered.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    Based on our current knowledge. There could be a creature that treats sulphuric acid as we do oxygen. Probably not, but... ...my point is that human thought is often blinkered.
    What would cause it to be defined as "life" and not (for example) a volcano?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    What I find amazing is that these things from the outer reaches of the universe seem to be roughly the same size as us and have developed a little bit beyond where we are but within the bounds of our imagination.

Why are so many sightings near large US military bases?

Why did they build the pyramids

If they are so smart why did they come in the form of David Eike
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    Cognitive thought.
    They could also be micro sized, or the size of a volcano. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    Cognitive thought.
    That would exclude a lot of life on earth.
  • focuszing723

What I find amazing is that these things from the outer reaches of the universe seem to be roughly the same size as us and have developed a little bit beyond where we are but within the bounds of our imagination.

I strongly contest your reference to a said Mr Eike!

Seriously, would you be surprised if it was announced there is proof UAP's have visited blighty? Given Earths relative age / Humanities evolution? And that doesn’t even take into consideration how rapid it will be when AI takes over.

The evidence is in Humanities evolution.
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    Cognitive thought.
    Well, if AI is the future we know technology evolves to be smaller with the advantage of being more efficient.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Seriously, would you be surprised if it was announced there is proof UAP's have visited blighty? Given Earths relative age / Humanities evolution? And that doesn’t even take into consideration how rapid it will be when AI takes over.

Or just English speakers.

• focuszing723
    edited July 2023

Fair point, they just don't report it?

The Naval pilots though Rick and our evolution?

Tell me you known it's a possibility?

Like I've said I've seen nothing personally to suggest remote UAP's exist.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Devil's advocate.
    Habitable by what?
    Anything.
    Self replication? Metabolism?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056
    The Fermi Paradox is worth a read for those who are interested in this sort of thing:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    Biological is evolving to technological AI at the moment, but it could revert back to biological or hybrid in the future or a mix of all. It makes more sense for a remote probe to be AI technological controlled though with our current understanding, food and water alone, also size compression.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Stevo_666 said:

The Fermi Paradox is worth a read for those who are interested in this sort of thing:

I love this.

Either - Earth contains the only intelligent life in all of the universe
    OR - There is intelligent life out there.

Either way - screws with your head
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2023

Fair point, they just don't report it?

The Naval pilots though Rick and our evolution?

Tell me you known it's a possibility?

Like I've said I've seen nothing personally to suggest remote UAP's exist.

Honestly, I give it so little thought. Probably. I don't really care and in practice it's no different to believing in fairies .

I don't need to think about 'out there' very much as 'in here' is more than enough to preoccupy the mind.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056

Stevo_666 said:

I love this.

My theory is that there is intelligent life elsewhere but a combination of the unimaginable distances involved, the difficulties in preserving life while travelling those sorts of distances & speeds and the likely finite lifespan of intelligent species (or maybe any species) means we have not seen any evidence of alien life.

The possibility of finding some form of life elsewhere in the solar system is also really interesting, as if we do it would at least show that life on Earth is not a total freak event.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    Have any of you watched the trained long serving Naval fighter pilots accounts? I just can't believe there is a wordly explanation and that they'd throw their lives into scrutiny for the hell of it. It takes some guts to go Infront of the media with this.

Oh they're just government stooges...
  • focuszing723
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I love this.

My theory is that there is intelligent life elsewhere but a combination of the unimaginable distances involved, the difficulties in preserving life while travelling those sorts of distances & speeds and the likely finite lifespan of intelligent species (or maybe any species) means we have not seen any evidence of alien life.

The possibility of finding some form of life elsewhere in the solar system is also really interesting, as if we do it would at least show that life on Earth is not a total freak event.
    Earth though, 4.5bn / Universe 13.8bn years and look what we've achieved in a relative blink of an eye.

I mean Christ, we're on the cusp of an AI (intelligent matter) evolution/revolution and then it's going to be incomprehensibly rapid.
  • focuszing723
    Intelligent matter probes?