TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    This sort of thing?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    edited June 2023

This sort of thing?

Ideal solution, but pricey.
    Would pay for a lot of hotels. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Not sure where you would park it in this country.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Not sure where you would park it in this country.

I'm sure the 'parking like a kn0b' soshul meejah sites will have evidence.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,395
    You can get smaller ones I think that can swallow the sort of car they normally tow.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,197
    morstar said:

Big vehicle towing little vehicle is easy towing.
    Normal size car towing massive caravan is less fun towing.
    Also with a camper van, you can literally stop at a beauty spot with all the comforts of kitchen and lounge to hand and ready to use.

A caravan is designed to move and then be set up. Not really beauty spot pull up and stop for a bit.

Never owned a camper van but see the appeal more than a caravan. Did caravan holidays as a kid. Always enjoyed them but don’t like towing them or horse trailers. A small camping trailer is unnoticeable though.

I loved my '74 Devon conversion bay.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

Big vehicle towing little vehicle is easy towing.
    Normal size car towing massive caravan is less fun towing.
    Also with a camper van, you can literally stop at a beauty spot with all the comforts of kitchen and lounge to hand and ready to use.

A caravan is designed to move and then be set up. Not really beauty spot pull up and stop for a bit.

Never owned a camper van but see the appeal more than a caravan. Did caravan holidays as a kid. Always enjoyed them but don’t like towing them or horse trailers. A small camping trailer is unnoticeable though.

This is why hotels/guesthouses/AirBnBs/B&Bs/hostels are the best idea. If you want remote use a tent. Not my choice, I take a comfy bed and walk/cycle/drive to the remote spot.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I had a client couple back in the day when I actually did client work, did a lot of renovation project work for them then took on ongoing maintenance. They asked me to put in 2 tracks across part of their lawn to match wheelspace so they could park this campervan they were going to buy.

This was getting on for 15 years ago and the van cost them then £60-70k. Did they use it? There was a French trip then a head up to Caithness to try and fail to see Northern Lights and that was about that...

Get the train and book a B&B?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Why people buy a camper than rather than a caravan then tow a car behind them.

when you get to your destination you can popout without stowing everything away
    Same applies to a caravan? 🤔
    I know somebodywho has one and I asked him the question. When I see him next I will ask him why not a caravan.
    It would be interesting to hear his reply but it’s only relevant if he tows a car. I’m assuming that he does?
    Yes he does, otherwise you realise you need a pint of milk and it is a real effort to stow everything away.

In his case he gave up his boat for health reasons so I imagine a motor home is a more direct replacement than a caravan
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I know somebodywho has one and I asked him the question. When I see him next I will ask him why not a caravan.
    It would be interesting to hear his reply but it’s only relevant if he tows a car. I’m assuming that he does?
    Yes he does, otherwise you realise you need a pint of milk and it is a real effort to stow everything away.

In his case he gave up his boat for health reasons so I imagine a motor home is a more direct replacement than a caravan
    I’m guessing it’s a huge motor home and the milk thing is an exaggerated point as I’m fairly sure you can store a pint of milk in a caravan.
    Note - I’ve no skin in this debate as I have no intention of getting either, I’m just curious.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    orraloon said:

This was getting on for 15 years ago and the van cost them then £60-70k. Did they use it? There was a French trip then a head up to Caithness to try and fail to see Northern Lights and that was about that...

Get the train and book a B&B?

Had a conversation about small campers in the pub once, one of our number knew a couple that had gone into a VW dealer to enquire about a new VW T? camper, cost was similar to what you quote. Apparemtly the wife replied "How much? Do you know how many air B&Bs that will pay for. I'm not paying that to sh!t in a fookin' bucket!"
    They didn't buy a camper.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I’m guessing it’s a huge motor home and the milk thing is an exaggerated point as I’m fairly sure you can store a pint of milk in a caravan.
    Note - I’ve no skin in this debate as I have no intention of getting either, I’m just curious.
    FFS this place is getting proper weird!!

I answered a question using a very specific example that I was given and now we are judging the size of his motorhome and casting doubt on whether he needed a pint of milk.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

FFS this place is getting proper weird!!

I answered a question using a very specific example that I was given and now we are judging the size of his motorhome and casting doubt on whether he needed a pint of milk.
    No judgement. As I said I am simply curious as the average motor home is about the same size as the average caravan so the practicalities of stopping are the same except one will likely have a smaller car.
    I think both options are a waste of money for what that’s worth.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,395
    People pushing their dogs around in a pushchair. I’ve seen four separate examples in Bude today (plus someone with a dog in a sling).
  • pblakeney
    This story intrigues me. Is it the report or the government that is entirely conflicted.
    “We need interest rates to rise in order to slow spending and therefore inflation.”
    Along with….
    “We want spending to increase to stimulate growth.”
    Hmmm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65891838
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561
    pblakeney said:

This story intrigues me. Is it the report or the government that is entirely conflicted.
    “We need interest rates to rise in order to slow spending and therefore inflation.”
    Along with….
    “We want spending to increase to stimulate growth.”
    Hmmm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65891838

I feel like politicians are going a great job of ignoring that high interest rates are basically a painful (and possibly ineffective) medicine.

It's a shame the article doesn't really cover that.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Almost every single article regarding interest rates is focused on mortgages, how come no one is talking about car finance and the cheap deals there, surely the impact is going to be significant also?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited June 2023
    Once the sun is out, women have to show off their toes (no matter how mis-aligned they are) by wearing flip-flops. Ok, some wear sandals.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    de_sisti said:

Once the sun is out, women have to show off their toes (no matter how mis-aligned they are) by wearing flip-flops. Ok, some wear sandals.

mis-aligned?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    de_sisti said:

Men too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    pblakeney said:

de_sisti said:

Men too.
    Hobbit feet.
  • TheBigBean
    Are people with ugly feet not allowed to wear sandals?
  • First.Aspect

No
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 2023
    You could write a thesis on why certain old songs manage to re-emerge as viral TikTok songs.

Did not have billy idol - eyes without a face on my list. Who did?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337

No
    Right that's it! I'm unleashing the talons tomorrow. Be thankful you're up there in the benighted northern wastes FA.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    50 years of forcing my feet in to too tight rock shoes has created these.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    My toes are in a pretty awful state from years of playing football.
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 2023
    It's probably easiest if we all wear socks.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Socks and sandals?
    It’s the idiots wearing flip flops and shorts in winter that make me laugh.
  • First.Aspect

Socks and sandals?
    It’s the idiots wearing flip flops and shorts in winter that make me laugh.

I wear shorts and blundstones, apart from when its really cold. Is that okay? (Not in public, normally)