Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402

Maybe they can just have women's prisons and open prisons.

If you want to be treated like a women, being sent to the "not women" bit isn't being treated like a woman.

It's the solution sports seem to be coming up with.
    Am I the only one who saw your play on words? I assume it was deliberate but seems to have gone over heads!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357

The legal changes for adults are not all that contentious. Just makes the process less burdensome and humiliating. The particular case in the news at the moment is a lightening rod for those who argue it has gone too far the other way. Which is debatable.

I'm surprised how steadfastly this thread is focusing on that, rather than people who are, according to the UN and science, likely to be too young to be making informed decisions that will profoundly affect the rest of their lives.

That's the part that Kier Starmer has correctly flagged as being of greatest concern.

You know, we get the politicians we deserve. And we have so many of the ones we do because thoughtful measured politicians are so often ignored.

Because it is all related to a powerful lobbying group that has made the subject so toxic that it can not be sensibly debated
    You're starting to sound like some conspiracy theorist. Name a prominent trans politician.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,565

Jezyboy said:

rjsterry said:

It’s exactly what the critics of the trans laws ha

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

This makes an awkward situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64413242

I’m sure you could make a strong argument the transition was solely to get yourself in a womens prison. Would be a sorry situation to be put in a women’s prison for committing crimes against women when you were a male.

But then it blows an enormous hole in way the trans laws are evolving.

Tbh, if I was in politics, half the stuff that came across my desk, I’d just be thinking who the hell makes this stuff up.

I find it odd that apparently no-one can conceive of a cis woman possibly sexually assaulting another woman. I mean it's almost as if the lack of safety in prisons is the issue rather than gender.
    Why not go the whole hog and have mixed gender prisons.

And if not, you have to then work out what you do with men who lie to be treated as women.
    Well obviously this. Just not sure that is in itself a reason to insist a small but significant number of non-criminal people have to formally apply for something that the rest of us take for granted.
    Sure but the same logic applies to all places where there is gender segregation, right?
    Not thought enough about it, but broadly I think so. In this specific scenario, I can't see why the duty of care for other inmates shouldn't take precedence and the prisoner gets put in whichever prison is deemed most appropriate on a case by case basis.
    Right.

Problem is in other gender segregated settings you don’t have a court, nor the time, to establish things on a case-by-case basis.

I can’t really see a solution, as either the trans lot lose out or women do.

It’s a troubling zero sum game which is why I think the debate is quite so toxic.
    As you started to say, it's exactly what one side of the argument kept warning against.

It feels like either, it isn't a significant issue, and thus this case is very fortuitous for the "anti" side of the argument. Or that the pro side of the argument has perhaps underestimated the risks.

If roughly 1% of the population is trans, and that population is evenly spread among prisoners, that's around 800 trans prisoners. that's feels like enough for tabloids to make a story out of regularly.

This is then all combined with a criminal justice system that seems to be quite flawed.

I don't think it's about, for what of a better phrase, authentic trans people - i.e. people who are going through whatever they're going through and are focused on themselves.

It's about the law that is appropriate for them might not be appropriate for women, as there will be predatory men who use it for their predatory ends.

More broadly, amongst some women there is a feeling that by accommodating trans, the previous female spaces are basically letting in men, which I can more easily sympathise with.
    I guess I wonder how you filter the "authentic" from the non authentic.

The crude method above with the meat cleaver?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

rjsterry said:

It’s exactly what the critics of the trans laws ha

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

This makes an awkward situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64413242

I’m sure you could make a strong argument the transition was solely to get yourself in a womens prison. Would be a sorry situation to be put in a women’s prison for committing crimes against women when you were a male.

But then it blows an enormous hole in way the trans laws are evolving.

Tbh, if I was in politics, half the stuff that came across my desk, I’d just be thinking who the hell makes this stuff up.

I find it odd that apparently no-one can conceive of a cis woman possibly sexually assaulting another woman. I mean it's almost as if the lack of safety in prisons is the issue rather than gender.
    Why not go the whole hog and have mixed gender prisons.

And if not, you have to then work out what you do with men who lie to be treated as women.
    Well obviously this. Just not sure that is in itself a reason to insist a small but significant number of non-criminal people have to formally apply for something that the rest of us take for granted.
    Sure but the same logic applies to all places where there is gender segregation, right?
    Not thought enough about it, but broadly I think so. In this specific scenario, I can't see why the duty of care for other inmates shouldn't take precedence and the prisoner gets put in whichever prison is deemed most appropriate on a case by case basis.
    Right.

Problem is in other gender segregated settings you don’t have a court, nor the time, to establish things on a case-by-case basis.

I can’t really see a solution, as either the trans lot lose out or women do.

It’s a troubling zero sum game which is why I think the debate is quite so toxic.
    As you started to say, it's exactly what one side of the argument kept warning against.

It feels like either, it isn't a significant issue, and thus this case is very fortuitous for the "anti" side of the argument. Or that the pro side of the argument has perhaps underestimated the risks.

If roughly 1% of the population is trans, and that population is evenly spread among prisoners, that's around 800 trans prisoners. that's feels like enough for tabloids to make a story out of regularly.

This is then all combined with a criminal justice system that seems to be quite flawed.

I don't think it's about, for what of a better phrase, authentic trans people - i.e. people who are going through whatever they're going through and are focused on themselves.

It's about the law that is appropriate for them might not be appropriate for women, as there will be predatory men who use it for their predatory ends.

More broadly, amongst some women there is a feeling that by accommodating trans, the previous female spaces are basically letting in men, which I can more easily sympathise with.
    I guess I wonder how you filter the "authentic" from the non authentic.

The crude method above with the meat cleaver?

Not the 'Crocodile Dundee' test, then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Maybe they can just have women's prisons and open prisons.

If you want to be treated like a women, being sent to the "not women" bit isn't being treated like a woman.

rjsterry said:

The legal changes for adults are not all that contentious. Just makes the process less burdensome and humiliating. The particular case in the news at the moment is a lightening rod for those who argue it has gone too far the other way. Which is debatable.

I'm surprised how steadfastly this thread is focusing on that, rather than people who are, according to the UN and science, likely to be too young to be making informed decisions that will profoundly affect the rest of their lives.

That's the part that Kier Starmer has correctly flagged as being of greatest concern.

You know, we get the politicians we deserve. And we have so many of the ones we do because thoughtful measured politicians are so often ignored.

Because it is all related to a powerful lobbying group that has made the subject so toxic that it can not be sensibly debated
    You're starting to sound like some conspiracy theorist. Name a prominent trans politician.
    why not keepit as a civil debate and I said lobbying not political party.

How about the takeover of Stonewall which is especially strange as their movement has nothing to do with sexuality?
  • rjsterry
    In order to have power you need to either literally in government or more likely have the ear of the government. Penny Mordaunt made some vaguely supportive noises and clearly didn't benefit from that. Apologies for being rather blunt but I just find the idea that a powerful lobby group is in control when the Westminster government has just blocked a not very popular bill in Scotland a bit of a stretch. I would agree that there's a very polarised situation on social media, with some pretty disgusting behaviour on either side of the argument, but that's hardly notable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,033
    Why is The Telegraph so desperate to rehabilitate/exonerate Prince Andrew? Is it just because he's not Prince Harry? It really is a very weird paper these days.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    What is most intriguing is that no one associated with that story has ever tried so use the back seat of a Ford Fiesta.
  • It intrigues me because it seems to be using a picture of two people in a bath to say that there isn't room for two people in the bath.
  • First.Aspect
    #spacious
  • First.Aspect
    #soapy
  • rjsterry
    #worstproofever
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    I’m intrigued by what you lot are talking about.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Why is The Telegraph so desperate to rehabilitate/exonerate Prince Andrew? Is it just because he's not Prince Harry? It really is a very weird paper these days.

Pro-royal nonce is the new anti-woke, anti-establishment, didn’t you know?
  • Pross said:

I’m intrigued by what you lot are talking about.

This is the lead story in today's Telegraph:

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    ^^^^ 🤣🤣🤣🤣 ^^^^
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,981
    edited January 2023
    pblakeney said:

^^^^ 🤣🤣🤣🤣 ^^^^

The correct response :D

Someone said "that's gold, let's run with that on the front page".
  • Pross
    Jeez someone has led a sheltered life if they think that’s proof.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

^^^^ 🤣🤣🤣🤣 ^^^^

The correct response :D

Someone said "that's gold, let's run with that on the front page".

Rather sums up where most of the Telegraph has ended up. A pity that it's no longer a serious newspaper that intelligently articulates a cogent right-wing viewpoint.
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2023
    EU (pre 2016) divided into equally populated areas.

I quite like the sound of New Saxony.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Someone should tell him the UK is no longer part of Europe? 😀
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry

Someone should tell him the UK is no longer part of Europe? 😀

Doesn't exist on that map, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    But what colour passports will us New Saxonians have, and will there be border checks when I drive back home to Northland?
  • Pross
    I'm struggling to believe there are 18 million people in the area they've designated the Celtic Union. Republic of Ireland is 5 million, Northern Ireland 1.9 million, Wales 3.1 million and Brittany 3.3 million (which is surprisingly high). So that leave Glasgow and a sparsely populated area of Western / Northern Scotland to contribute around 5 million when the whole of Scotland is around 5.5 million and Glasgow being around 1 million.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    monkimark said:

But what colour passports will us New Saxonians have, and will there be border checks when I drive back home to Northland?

I should hope so. We need some method of keeping out itinerant southerners.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

monkimark said:

I should hope so. We need some method of keeping out itinerant southerners.
    All you need is a sign at the border saying 'Welcome to Scotland'. Should put most people off.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    Must try harder. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

Must try harder. 😉

You could argue that it has already done its job :)
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

I'm struggling to believe there are 18 million people in the area they've designated the Celtic Union. Republic of Ireland is 5 million, Northern Ireland 1.9 million, Wales 3.1 million and Brittany 3.3 million (which is surprisingly high). So that leave Glasgow and a sparsely populated area of Western / Northern Scotland to contribute around 5 million when the whole of Scotland is around 5.5 million and Glasgow being around 1 million.

There's another 1.5m in Devon and Cornwall.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    edited January 2023
    I'm not sure that Devon would want to be associated with the Celts these days, not least as the Cornish (sorry, 'Cornish people') don't know how to eat scones properly.