Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,033
    What to do when a Kremlin spokesman accuses Johnson of lying... quite a dilemma who to believe...

Kremlin rejects Boris Johnson's claim Putin threatened him with missile before invasion of Ukraine
    As my colleague Harry Taylor reports, Boris Johnson has claimed that Vladimir Putin threatened him in a call shortly before the invasion of Ukraine. Johnson told a BBC documentary:

[Putin] sort of threatened me at one point and said: ‘Boris, I don’t want to hurt you, but with a missile, it would only take a minute’, or something like that.

This morning the Kremlin has described this as a lie. Asked about Johnson’s comment, the Kremlin spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, said the former PM’s account of the conversation was untrue, “or, more precisely, it was a lie”.

As PA Media reports, Peskov said Johnson may have deliberately lied or failed to understand what the Russian leader was telling him. Peskov said:

There were no threats with missiles.

While talking about security challenges to Russia, President Putin said that if Ukraine joins Nato, the potential deployment of US or other Nato missiles near our borders would mean that any such missile could reach Moscow in minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/jan/30/rishi-sunak-questions-nadhim-zahawi-sacking-tax-uk-politics-live
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

What to do when a Kremlin spokesman accuses Johnson of lying... quite a dilemma who to believe...

Kremlin rejects Boris Johnson's claim Putin threatened him with missile before invasion of Ukraine
    As my colleague Harry Taylor reports, Boris Johnson has claimed that Vladimir Putin threatened him in a call shortly before the invasion of Ukraine. Johnson told a BBC documentary:

[Putin] sort of threatened me at one point and said: ‘Boris, I don’t want to hurt you, but with a missile, it would only take a minute’, or something like that.

This morning the Kremlin has described this as a lie. Asked about Johnson’s comment, the Kremlin spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, said the former PM’s account of the conversation was untrue, “or, more precisely, it was a lie”.

As PA Media reports, Peskov said Johnson may have deliberately lied or failed to understand what the Russian leader was telling him. Peskov said:

While talking about security challenges to Russia, President Putin said that if Ukraine joins Nato, the potential deployment of US or other Nato missiles near our borders would mean that any such missile could reach Moscow in minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/jan/30/rishi-sunak-questions-nadhim-zahawi-sacking-tax-uk-politics-live
    After reading the Torygraph website, I was just thinking that someone might post about that here in Cake Stopski.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I'm struggling to believe there are 18 million people in the area they've designated the Celtic Union. Republic of Ireland is 5 million, Northern Ireland 1.9 million, Wales 3.1 million and Brittany 3.3 million (which is surprisingly high). So that leave Glasgow and a sparsely populated area of Western / Northern Scotland to contribute around 5 million when the whole of Scotland is around 5.5 million and Glasgow being around 1 million.

There's another 1.5m in Devon and Cornwall.
    Ah, yes I missed them. I'm quite liking that nation, not sure the eastern Scots will like being left as part of northern England but tough. I can't work out if we'd be in the EU or not though - Ireland and Brittany are still in, Northern Ireland and Scotland would mainly want to be in, Wales and Cornwall would rather be out (can't remember how Devon voted).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    What is currently intriguing me is the amount of interest people are taking in an alternate universe. We can't even sort out what we have. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

I'm not sure that Devon would want to be associated with the Celts these days, not least as the Cornish (sorry, 'Cornish people') don't know how to eat scones properly.

I've read some tripe on the internet over the years but this comment takes the biscuit.

It's only the poor benighted Northerners over the Tamar that are clueless.
  • Pross
    Both are wrong. The correct thing to do is have clotted cream on the bottom then add more clotted cream on top and leave the jam in a pot to put on toast.
  • Pross

If it happened shouldn't Boris have reported it to Parliament or something? The 'or something like that' is classic Boris - you would think he might recall the details of a threat to launch a missile strike on the country he was supposedly running.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357

It's very easy: neither.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980

I'm not sure that Devon would want to be associated with the Celts these days, not least as the Cornish (sorry, 'Cornish people') don't know how to eat scones properly.

I don't think that's the biggest problem with the map.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Solves the Basque problem nicely.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    Respects the northern island protocol as well.
  • Pross
    A teacher on the Welsh news was cited as planning to leave the profession partly due to the cost of living crisis. Irrespective of the arguments on pay and other issues leading to strike action, which I’ll leave people to discuss in the various politics threads, I’m genuinely intrigued how they think quitting a fairly well paid job will improve any financial struggles. I can’t imagine there are many jobs you can walk into on a higher salary without experience.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    edited February 2023
    'Cos they'll be openin' the mines there boyo wot with this energy cost bizness goin' on.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    In a previous life I would occasionally be doing a mental health assessment on a teacher. The theme was often these were incredibly dedicated people who wanted to empower young people through education. But both the system and some times the kids were burning them out out. So they had become something like a person of religion who had lost their faith.
    So just getting out was a matter of survival. The more able would look at going to foreign climes to teach English as a Foreign language where they would be teaching people who wanted to learn.
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

In a previous life I would occasionally be doing a mental health assessment on a teacher. The theme was often these were incredibly dedicated people who wanted to empower young people through education. But both the system and some times the kids were burning them out out. So they had become something like a person of religion who had lost their faith.
    So just getting out was a matter of survival. The more able would look at going to foreign climes to teach English as a Foreign language where they would be teaching people who wanted to learn.

Yeah, same conversation can be had with social workers (i.e. my o.h.). She's now at the point of wanting to look after hedgehogs instead of society.
  • Pross
    webboo said:

Sure, I get that and don’t know how they do it to start with - a year or two coaching cycling to kids for a couple of hours on a Saturday left me wanting to strangle some of them! The bit that intrigued me was saying they were leaving because they couldn’t afford to keep teaching with the cost of living crisis.
  • Pross
    Something that just sprung to mind after seeing someone’s FB post. If you are a professional cyclist at what point would you need a work permit / visa when taking a bike abroad? I assume it is only when actually racing but wouldn’t you technically be working any time you rode a bike?
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Sure, I get that and don’t know how they do it to start with - a year or two coaching cycling to kids for a couple of hours on a Saturday left me wanting to strangle some of them!

And that's for a physical pastime which, I assume, they actually wanted to do. Now imagine teaching maths or grammar (especially in its current idiotic form) to a classroom of children who'd rather be out playing football and can't see the point of your lesson, knowing that, under current guidance strangulation is not generally advised, and that chaos will break out if you left the room for two minutes because you've had enough. Rinse and repeat daily, whilst the government tells you that your pay is being cut in real terms, and they can't afford to do school repairs.

I suspect that the reason teachers are leaving is simply because they don't feel valued, pay being one of the tokens by which we all measure how much we are valued in our jobs: all the signals from the government are that their feelings are correct.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,766

Pross said:

Sure, I get that and don’t know how they do it to start with - a year or two coaching cycling to kids for a couple of hours on a Saturday left me wanting to strangle some of them!

And that's for a physical pastime which, I assume, they actually wanted to do. Now imagine teaching maths or grammar (especially in its current idiotic form) to a classroom of children who'd rather be out playing football and can't see the point of your lesson, knowing that, under current guidance strangulation is not generally advised, and that chaos will break out if you left the room for two minutes because you've had enough. Rinse and repeat daily, whilst the government tells you that your pay is being cut in real terms, and they can't afford to do school repairs.

I suspect that the reason teachers are leaving is simply because they don't feel valued, pay being one of the tokens by which we all measure how much we are valued in our jobs: all the signals from the government are that their feelings are correct.
    I've met very few teachers who complain about the kids. That includes the ones who worked in terrible inner city schools. One teacher I met was being robbed at knife point until they realised who he was. He still seemed happy with the teaching side.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

I've met very few teachers who complain about the kids. That includes the ones who worked in terrible inner city schools. One teacher I met was being robbed at knife point until they realised who he was. He still seemed happy with the teaching side.

The complaining will be mostly about all the other shît outside of the classroom, it's true. It really is a privilege to be entrusted with a load of childish brains to manipulate and mould, knowing that you will change the course of people's lives. The times when it goes right, it the most amazing thing to do. But that knowledge and responsibility is also immensely draining, whether you're good at it or not.

A teacher's 'audience' is: the pupils; the pupil's parents; the line-manager/head teacher; school inspectors. And they all need to be kept happy.

FTR, I'd not be a classroom teacher for all the tea in China (not least as I hate tea).
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Something that just sprung to mind after seeing someone’s FB post. If you are a professional cyclist at what point would you need a work permit / visa when taking a bike abroad? I assume it is only when actually racing but wouldn’t you technically be working any time you rode a bike?

Just to confuse matters even further but is it not the case that Brits wanting to spend time in the EU are limited to 90 days over a 180 day period, ie the main race season?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Just to confuse matters even further but is it not the case that Brits wanting to spend time in the EU are limited to 90 days over a 180 day period, ie the main race season?
    Easy enough to get an extended holiday visa, but post-Brexit, that doesn't include a right to work (and says specifically so), and neither does the 90/180 day rule. It's all so fvcked up, thanks to Brexit.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

From a cycling point of view don’t they all live in Monaco for tax purposes anyway?
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

From a cycling point of view don’t they all live in Monaco for tax purposes anyway?
    Top end yes, but what about those coming through?
    More or less forcing our future talent to emigrate. #clusterfuck
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As much as I ditrust BoJ
    Pross said:

I have placed quite a few candidates with a French business in London, where the bulk of the team are based in Paris.

They weren't able to go meet the rest of the team for quite a while for visa problems, which was news to them and me. Apparently because they were going to Paris to work, albeit for a day or two, that meant they needed a visa. Or something. It was a loud restaurant and I didn't hear it all.

So yes, in theory you would.
  • As much as I ditrust BoJ

Pross said:

I have placed quite a few candidates with a French business in London, where the bulk of the team are based in Paris.

They weren't able to go meet the rest of the team for quite a while for visa problems, which was news to them and me. Apparently because they were going to Paris to work, albeit for a day or two, that meant they needed a visa. Or something. It was a loud restaurant and I didn't hear it all.

Assuming they had UK passports, I think they were given incorrect advice

You can travel to countries in the Schengen area, which France is part of, for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends or to attend business meetings,
  • rick_chasey

As much as I ditrust BoJ

Pross said:

Assuming they had UK passports, I think they were given incorrect advice

You can travel to countries in the Schengen area, which France is part of, for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends or to attend business meetings,
    I suspect I have an incomplete set of information, but I do know they were delayed by the visa problems.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    Nobody in our business who travels to Europe to have meetings etc has needed a VISA to do that as far as I'm aware.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    I have unproven theories as to why, but I often wonder why there has not been any discourse in the public about the impact of putting so many kids in basically full time care (ie. 8am to 6pm) from the age of 1 upwards.

So many of my friends put their kid into nurseries for as long as they can as soon as they can.

We all have different contexts and factors that go into making your decisions - I'm not judging - but we came to the conclusion we'd forgo the additional income to give ours the benefit of being brought up primarily by one of us.

I'm of the view that that must have an impact on them, yet no-one seems to discuss it.
  • pblakeney

I have unproven theories as to why, but I often wonder why there has not been any discourse in the public about the impact of putting so many kids in basically full time care (ie. 8am to 6pm) from the age of 1 upwards.

So many of my friends put their kid into nurseries for as long as they can as soon as they can.

We all have different contexts and factors that go into making your decisions - I'm not judging - but we came to the conclusion we'd forgo the additional income to give ours the benefit of being brought up primarily by one of us.

I'm of the view that that must have an impact on them, yet no-one seems to discuss it.

I've made my view clear in the past. One parent should stay at home until all the children are in full time education. I'm an old duffer with out of date opinions though.
    Veronese68 wrote: