Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,034
    On the French FB page I have to patrol for French-sounding male FB profiles posting messages trying to befriend legit female followers, with identical, polite-sounding blandishments. They get hit quickly with the ban stick and their messages deleted. It's hard work, this social media thingy. Fortunately I don't try to make money out of it , but it just gives me a nice motivation to take passable photos for people to enjoy.
  • briantrumpet
    Bloomin' Nora... another six weird followers overnight from distinctly furrin parts... not sure I can do anything else but delete them as they come in, but it's definitely in the 'annoying' category now.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,403

Bloomin' Nora... another six weird followers overnight from distinctly furrin parts... not sure I can do anything else but delete them as they come in, but it's definitely in the 'annoying' category now.

I assume with a page you can’t make them request to follow?
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Doesn't look like it. Grrr. As Loon suggests, the page must have randomly got into some bot algorithm, and I'll just have to manually remove them as 'follows' come in. It might actually be just one originator creating lots of FB identities and it just happens to have landed on my page. The function to 'ban profile and any other profiles created by the same person in future' seems not to function any more, which is annoying.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

Pross said:

Doesn't look like it. Grrr. As Loon suggests, the page must have randomly got into some bot algorithm, and I'll just have to manually remove them as 'follows' come in. It might actually be just one originator creating lots of FB identities and it just happens to have landed on my page. The function to 'ban profile and any other profiles created by the same person in future' seems not to function any more, which is annoying.
    It's all your fault for having an interesting FB page I reckon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Even if it is, alas, the bots are not people whose taste I'm going to take any pleasure from. They are still incoming, the botstards.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Even if it is, alas, the bots are not people whose taste I'm going to take any pleasure from. They are still incoming, the botstards.
    Might have to go back to being a plain old blog on your own Web page?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Might have to go back to being a plain old blog on your own Web page?

It's a double-edged sword, in that the reach of FB is so much greater, but also has this sort of downside. Though if I'm getting a problem, I imagine some of the commercial ones have problems several magnitudes higher. I'll keep chipping away at them, and will start reporting all the dubious accounts rather than just blocking them. It's weird that the French one, with about 4x as many followers isn't having any problem at all.
  • briantrumpet
    I've shared the weirdness with my FB friends to see if anyone's got any idea what's going on. Googling hasn't come up with much. Ho hum, the price of fame... 🤣
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023
    Actually, now I've started, this is back to intriguing. I'm going to report all the bot profiles before blocking them, and see if it makes any difference.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I went through a phase of reporting blatantly fake profiles which were created just to spam links to either products or dubious webcam links.

Without fail fb would reply a few days later saying they'd found no evidence of breach etc and were taking no action. I gave up.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pangolin said:

I went through a phase of reporting blatantly fake profiles which were created just to spam links to either products or dubious webcam links.

Without fail fb would reply a few days later saying they'd found no evidence of breach etc and were taking no action. I gave up.

Yeah, I've had one feedback like that - I guess the spammers know how just to meet the criteria that pass an automated check, as I can't imagine it's being done manually.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    I'm going through a phase of only interacting with notifications as scrolling through ads is a waste of my time. Time spent on FB is progressively reducing. This is good.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I'm going through a phase of only interacting with notifications as scrolling through ads is a waste of my time. Time spent on FB is progressively reducing. This is good.

I only scroll on Chrome with heavy adblocking on... it's a totally different experience.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I only scroll on Chrome with heavy adblocking on... it's a totally different experience.
    FB has found a way to get round adblocking in my experience.
    Happy to have an excuse to reduce/stop using FB to be honest.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Right, re the furrin FB bots, I've found a setting for Pages where you can restrict the geographic reach of the page... let's see if that works. Had about another 25 today so far.
  • pangolin
    Good to see you taking back control of your page Brian.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023
    pangolin said:

All I can see is growth, growth, growth, now I've closed the border and put Captain Braverman out in the Channel in a gunboat. Sunlit uplands await.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

All I can see is growth, growth, growth, now I've closed the border and put Captain Braverman out in the Channel in a gunboat. Sunlit uplands await.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    ^ Where is that muppet these days? Enjoying her 6 figure tax free ex-PM bucket of dosh? Or using that Slithy Gove stylee on the Colombian marching powder?

Anyway, trivial intrigue.

Actually watched some iPlayer tv stuff, inc couple episodes of 'Life on the Bay' about this big caravan park on the Fife coast. But the number of very fat people featuring on screen... xxxx me, is this becoming the societal norm? No wonder the NHS is under pressure.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,203
    orraloon said:

^ Where is that muppet these days? Enjoying her 6 figure tax free ex-PM bucket of dosh? Or using that Slithy Gove stylee on the Colombian marching powder?

Anyway, trivial intrigue.

Actually watched some iPlayer tv stuff, inc couple episodes of 'Life on the Bay' about this big caravan park on the Fife coast. But the number of very fat people featuring on screen... xxxx me, is this becoming the societal norm? No wonder the NHS is under pressure.

All I can see is growth, growth, growth...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023
    What happens to people when they get into their 60s, and not able to chuck food away?

I could forgive people who grew up during rationing, but my parents have been normal and suddenly they're thrusting mouldy food onto us and growing a whole host of cultures in the fridge.

They came back from a holiday and they had half a pot of mouldy jam and ketchup that they *took back home* to then hand to us.
  • pangolin
    Actually mouldy? Takes a looong time for jam or ketchup to grow mould.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

Jam, not the ketchup.

And yeah.
  • briantrumpet
    My geographical limiting on my FB Page seems to have worked. That's cheered me up.
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

Mouldy jam is usually actually mouldy butter where someone used the same knife for both.
  • Pross

What happens to people when they get into their 60s, and not able to chuck food away?

I could forgive people who grew up during rationing, but my parents have been normal and suddenly they're thrusting mouldy food onto us and growing a whole host of cultures in the fridge.

They came back from a holiday and they had half a pot of mouldy jam and ketchup that they *took back home* to then hand to us.

My wife's aunt was a decent cook, she used to look after our daughter a day a week and would make things like stews for me to eat when the wife was in work. They were always great but then her eyesight got worse and worse and I would end up with all sorts of things going in there. A visit to her kitchen put me off eating anything she cooked as she could no longer see any spillages or read the use by dates on ingredients.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Mouldy jam is usually actually mouldy butter where someone used the same knife for both.

Hmm, really? Butter will keep for ages without going actually mouldy, I think, as it's just fat and salt. Cheap jam will go mouldy quite quickly, in my experience - that experience being buying jam for guests (I hate the stuff) and then having a part-used jar left when they've gone.
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

pangolin said:

Hmm, really? Butter will keep for ages without going actually mouldy, I think, as it's just fat and salt. Cheap jam will go mouldy quite quickly, in my experience - that experience being buying jam for guests (I hate the stuff) and then having a part-used jar left when they've gone.
    Not necessarily butter/marg but they will be the most often source.

"When you’re taking out some jam to spread on a piece of bread and butter, make sure to use a clean utensil. By clean we mean it wasn’t used for another food before hand, a clean, unused knife or spoon.

Never lick the jam spoon of knife and then stick it back in the jam. Even if it’s your jar of jam, you bring bacteria into the previously clean jam, and this way you get more than just a mould growth. Be clean, get a fresh spoon."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    I thought it was just expensive jam having a higher-fruit and lower sugar ratio.