Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,033
    pblakeney said:

IIRC IG was originally just to be for sharing photos.
    Then Zuckerberg decided to monetise it, and ruined it.

That's what it looks like... stick extra stuff on and ruin the simplicity.
  • briantrumpet
    Still, on the plus side, from the suggested people I should follow, they've not yet got much of a clue about me.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,766
    On topic, but one for the trivially annoying thread - the way everyone can now only communicate through Whatsapp.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

On topic, but one for the trivially annoying thread - the way everyone can now only communicate through Whatsapp.

Yeah this ^.
    I get (with some incredulity) "Don't you have Whats app?!... "
    - No
    "No?!...it's very useful for sending files and pics...".
    Yes but I can send pics and files by many other methods to which I am used to.
    So I can't send you the pics?
    Yes you can; you can send the pics using the methods you previously used before Whats app was invented..
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357

Especially when you are trying to keep tabs on all communication relating to a project.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I think there’s a place for WhatsApp.

Threaded conversations are far superior to email. As iMessage is within apples garden wall and there is no Android equivalent, WhatsApp allows the fluidity of iMessage across platform.

What is actually better than WhatsApp for private but fully featured messaging across android and iOS?

The limitation of WhatsApp is secondary devices and needing a phone number. The web interface is not smooth enough.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Especially when you are trying to keep tabs on all communication relating to a project.
    My work is mercifully uncontaminated by Whatsapp.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173

I guess I must now be officially old.
    I have never, ever, used WhatsApp.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    morstar said:

Threaded conversations are far superior to email. As iMessage is within apples garden wall and there is no Android equivalent, WhatsApp allows the fluidity of iMessage across platform.

What is actually better than WhatsApp for private but fully featured messaging across android and iOS?

The limitation of WhatsApp is secondary devices and needing a phone number. The web interface is not smooth enough.

For me the limitation is that it is run by Facebook and I don't like one company being in charge of all communication between individuals. It would be much better to have a standard like email, so that all IMs could talk to each other without anyone owning all communication.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why people will spend ages writing emails or whats apps when the whole thing can be done in a 2 minute call.
  • rjsterry
    morstar said:

WhatsApp is great, but if 99% of communication is on email, having 1% on a completely unconnected platform is a recipe for f***ups.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney

Why people will spend ages writing emails or whats apps when the whole thing can be done in a 2 minute call.

Lesson learned the hard way decades ago.
    If it's not written down and recorded then it never happened.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2023
    pblakeney said:

The summary follow up email covers that.

If you're having an email exchange that's more than 3 emails in total, you should have had a phone call.

*Normalise phone calls, so that people no longer feel obliged to do pleasantries. You can get so much done in such a short amount of time*
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2023

pblakeney said:

If you're having an email exchange that's more than 3 emails in total, you should have had a phone call.

*Normalise phone calls, so that people no longer feel obliged to do pleasantries. You can get so much done in such a short amount of time*
    Try doing that with complex design.
    How many discussions on here are covered in 3 posts? 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I recon most discussions could be covered off in one sitting in the pub tbh.

And yes, design may be different. But even then, all that written text can be done in a meeting with someone taking notes?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I recon most discussions could be covered off in one sitting in the pub tbh.

And yes, design may be different. But even then, all that written text can be done in a meeting with someone taking notes?
    It can, but a large majority of work is covered one to one with progress being covered in meetings. You go to a meeting and say "He said...." and that's when it goes to pot.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought WhatsApp was for sending videos to your grandson of his dogs that you are looking after while he’s abroad and free phone calls.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

I think way too much time is wasted because people don't like the straight jacket of having to have a conversation at that moment and instead do in their own time over email.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402
    I much prefer written communication. I’m addition to providing a record it is also less disruptive as I can deal with it when I get a suitable break in whatever I’m doing.

My biggest gripes with WhatsApp are that it is really hard to stop groups using it to send shite around rather than just communicate on the things the group is intended for and that you can’t leave a group without it telling everyone you have left which then seems to lead to others making comments suggesting you’ve had a strop when you just no longer want your phone pinging with nonsense memes and jokes.

Virtually all of my groups are now on mute permanently.
  • pblakeney

Fair enough.

I think way too much time is wasted because people don't like the straight jacket of having to have a conversation at that moment and instead do in their own time over email.

Imo if people are choosing to do work emails in their own time then they deserve what they get.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Pross said:

Virtually all of my groups are now on mute permanently.

This
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I was thinking more personal than business use.
    Email better for work for sure but is well documented for facilitating awful behaviour.

Business critical info buried in a long doc and not called out or supported by call.
    Lazy delegation of work. Multiple threads due to simultaneous replies. Pointless arse covering and pre=emptive blaming.

Chat formats are definitely better with email doing heavy lifting for key content.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

Email better for work for sure but is well documented for facilitating awful behaviour.

Business critical info buried in a long doc and not called out or supported by call.
    Lazy delegation of work. Multiple threads due to simultaneous replies. Pointless censored covering and pre=emptive blaming.

Chat formats are definitely better with email doing heavy lifting for key content.

Yup, that's why I tried to get one of my groups to use Asana. Would have worked if nearly everyone hadn't said "What's wrong with email?" and carried on with the same chaos of unthreaded conversations with badly-titled emails.
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2023

pblakeney said:

I guess you don't have a minimum of 6 years liability if one of your recruits turns out to be a bit rubbish. Phone calls are for stuff you don't want to write down.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

morstar said:

Lazy delegation of work. Multiple threads due to simultaneous replies. Pointless censored covering and pre=emptive blaming.

Yup, that's why I tried to get one of my groups to use Asana. Would have worked if nearly everyone hadn't said "What's wrong with email?" and carried on with the same chaos of unthreaded conversations with badly-titled emails.
    I don't know if you've watched the sitcom "Motherland" but this reminds me of Kevin trying to get the group of mums to use a messaging app to organise events etc. Fantastic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Google's saving about $2.5bn a year via the lay offs, but last year they spent almost $50bn on share buy-backs.

Weird.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

Google's saving about $2.5bn a year via the lay offs, but last year they spent almost $50bn on share buy-backs.

Weird.

Shareholders money isn't it.

They are likely cash rich and have a substantial balance sheet, but still need to maintain profitability at a certain level in the year. So not intriguing in my view.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    How come there are 14m sheep in the UK yet Lamb is so expensive at the supermarket?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    I don't understand the economics of UK farming. For slaughter, a "lamb" (meaning a young adult sheep) goes for about £30. So that's about £15 per lamb per year. You need a lot of lambs to make a living, but the guy around here has a flock of 1000 if he is lucky, but drives a Discovery, employs a couple of lads and has to run 3 quads, a land rover and a tractor.

Anyone explain how that adds up to a living? And of subsidies?
  • pblakeney
    I believe Clarkson did a documentary on a similar topic. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: