Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,036
    You're doing it on purpose now! It's like a cat deliberately shïtting on your living room carpet when you know they know how to use the litter tray.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

You're doing it on purpose now! It's like a cat deliberately shïtting on your living room carpet when you know they know how to use the litter tray.

That sounds like bitter personal experience.
    Did it wink at you when finished?
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

Never had a cat and never will. But that's the sort of thing they'd do to show disapproval of a human who just feeds and houses them.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,984
    edited January 2023

morstar said:

Never had a cat and never will. But that's the sort of thing they'd do to show disapproval of a human who just feeds and houses them.
    That's not what happens. It'll either be stress or illness.

Anyhow. Lampard or Gerrard, Brian?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204

morstar said:

My cat never sh*ts on the carpet and never sh*its in the litter tray (he hasn't even got one). I told him about you and he is quite insulted.

Back OT: Gerard.

Bobby Moore or Cyrile Regis?

No one's mentioned Greavsie.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Billy Bonds.
  • pinno
    edited January 2023
    Vinnie Jones.
  • pinno
    Florent Sinama Pongolle...

Hang on... somethings wrong there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    Why do people on this forum let us know what annoys them. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2023
    Accountancy and headlines.
    Sainsbury's announce a record sale period with sales being up 5.2% year on year.
    But if inflation is running at 10% does that not show a 4.8% drop? 🤔

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64225230
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sales are sales.
  • pblakeney

Sales are sales.

Fine. Good if that is explained which it isn't. How do they quantify sales? Units?
    An apple ≠ a good bottle of wine so I assumed it was money taken.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Sainsbury's announce a record sale period with sales being up 5.2% year on year.

It does. One of the factors mentioned in the growth is inflation, and that sales volume is "resilient" which implies no growth in volume.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

It does. One of the factors mentioned in the growth is inflation, and that sales volume is "resilient" which implies no growth in volume.
    Well spotted! Or a failure to read on my part. Still, my point stands and they admit it.
    "The group, which also owns Argos, said sales growth was driven by rising prices while volumes had remained "resilient"."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

But Rick knows best. Stop talking sense.
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

It's a bit more complicated because obviously what a supermarket sells makes up the basket of things that go into defining the headline inflation rate, but does by no means constitute the whole basket.

For example, food price rises are up 14% in the UK in 2022.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

It's a bit more complicated because obviously what a supermarket sells makes up the basket of things that go into defining the headline inflation rate, but does by no means constitute the whole basket.

Thus emphasising my point even further.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Thus emphasising my point even further.
    But sainos are setting the prices, right? It's part of their pricing that goes into inflation.

Yoour argument's a little tautological.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

You realise you've just argued against yourself?
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2023

pblakeney said:

It's not a straight calculation of "sales up 5%, inflation is at 10%, thus 5% drop".

It's much more complicated than that for the reasons I've described above. Because of their role in daily spending, them absolutely coining it could be the very reason inflation is so high, right? It could also not be.

Just easier to look at profits.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

It's not a straight calculation of "sales up 5%, inflation is at 10%, thus 5% drop".

It's much more complicated than that for the reasons I've described above. Because of their role in daily spending, them absolutely coining it could be the very reason inflation is so high, right? It could also not be.

Is that what you meant by "sales are sales" then?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,769
    edited January 2023

pblakeney said:

Sales have declined in real terms. It's not complicated.

Whether everything should suddenly be quoted in real terms with random base dates (e.g. 2010) is another question.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Sales have declined in real terms. It's not complicated.

Whether everything should suddenly be quoted in real terms with random base dates (e.g. 2010) is another question.

This.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770

pblakeney said:

Anything so long as he can shoehorn his favourite abbreviation into the post
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64224950

I just don’t get crypto and especially don’t get one linked to a traditional currency model.

I spend GBP online and in the shops most days without using cash well over 90% of the time.

To all intents and purposes my transactions are digital. Am I missing something?
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

I just don’t get crypto and especially don’t get one linked to a traditional currency model.

I spend GBP online and in the shops most days without using cash well over 90% of the time.

To all intents and purposes my transactions are digital. Am I missing something?

The thrill of the unknown.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Massive gains
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gives you the option of not having a banking system behind it. So you can either keep it under a mattress or entrust it to someone who might steal it and you have no protection.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

10/10 if you want to run a ponzi scheme or other financial scam.