Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,403
    morstar said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64224950

I just don’t get crypto and especially don’t get one linked to a traditional currency model.

I spend GBP online and in the shops most days without using cash well over 90% of the time.

To all intents and purposes my transactions are digital. Am I missing something?

It's great if you're a criminal looking to move money around without being traced (apparently!).
  • pinno said:

morstar said:

You're doing it on purpose now! It's like a cat deliberately shïtting on your living room carpet when you know they know how to use the litter tray.

That sounds like bitter personal experience.
    Did it wink at you when finished?
    Never had a cat and never will. But that's the sort of thing they'd do to show disapproval of a human who just feeds and houses them.
    My cat never sh*ts on the carpet and never sh*its in the litter tray (he hasn't even got one). I told him about you and he is quite insulted.

Back OT: Gerard.

Bobby Moore or Cyrile Regis?

No one's mentioned Greavsie.

The variety of answers proves my point that there is no stand out English candidate whereas for most (?) countries there would be an obvious candidate (s)

My Mother said Moore but he was before most people on here's time.

FWIW my candidate would be Lineker but i would not die on that hill
  • Pross

pinno said:

morstar said:

You're doing it on purpose now! It's like a cat deliberately shïtting on your living room carpet when you know they know how to use the litter tray.

Never had a cat and never will. But that's the sort of thing they'd do to show disapproval of a human who just feeds and houses them.
    My cat never sh*ts on the carpet and never sh*its in the litter tray (he hasn't even got one). I told him about you and he is quite insulted.

The variety of answers proves my point that there is no stand out English candidate whereas for most (?) countries there would be an obvious candidate (s)

Gascoigne surely despite the self-destructive tendancies.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Consensus on all the lists I've seen is Charlton.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,767
    morstar said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64224950

I just don’t get crypto and especially don’t get one linked to a traditional currency model.

I spend GBP online and in the shops most days without using cash well over 90% of the time.

To all intents and purposes my transactions are digital. Am I missing something?

I don't think you should confuse a central bank issued digital currency with a cypto currency like Bitcoin.

The bank of england has an article on this.

One example of why a bank digital currency might be useful is it would enable you to pay someone else in the same way that you could with physical cash. To do that digitally at the moment you would need to mess around with an online transfer.

Also, note that money in a bank isn't really cash, it is money you have lent to a bank. The bank has then lent most of it to someone else.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    orraloon said:

1 litre of organic semi skimmed milk costs £1.10 in local coop shop. The standard semi skimmed costs £1.45 for 2 pints, so 1.136 litres, equivalent to £1.27 per litre. 🤔 the organic is cheaper.

Called in by branch of 'Every Little Helps' for shopping bits on way home, in car so utilise to the max. The same brand organic on sale at same price, £1.10 per litre. Their 2 pints std pack semi skimmed is £1.30, equates to £1.14 per litre. There's a theme here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,033
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

1 litre of organic semi skimmed milk costs £1.10 in local coop shop. The standard semi skimmed costs £1.45 for 2 pints, so 1.136 litres, equivalent to £1.27 per litre. 🤔 the organic is cheaper.

Called in by branch of 'Every Little Helps' for shopping bits on way home, in car so utilise to the max. The same brand organic on sale at same price, £1.10 per litre. Their 2 pints std pack semi skimmed is £1.30, equates to £1.14 per litre. There's a theme here.

Something weird going on - organic production costs are considerably higher, but I suspect the milk buyers are squeezing them hard - it's always been a problem with milk, as farmers can't just hold back supplies for a better offer. It's one reason why the loss of the MMB gave far more power to supermarkets and processors.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited January 2023
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Just switched our 2 pint to the same price organic in our home delivery order, £1.65 :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross

I thought the original question people were referring to was this from SC

This reminds me of a question "who is the best English player in your time?"

Everybody struggled to answer it which suggests there has been no stand out player since the '66 side.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ah ok
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    Pross said:

Everybody struggled to answer it which suggests there has been no stand out player since the '66 side.

Not quite. The original question was posed by me regarding the BBC proposing that Bale was the best ever British player. This struck me as wrong, as well as a stupid proposal.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    I guess that that's going to make his defence a little trickier...

• Pross said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Gascoigne surely despite the self-destructive tendancies.
    if he had fulfilled his potential then would probably get my vote
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    The EPO has been told to reduce caffeine intake by the quacks, so she bought some decaffeinated coffee beans. How do you remove the caffeine but leave the beans intact?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    I think that even with ground coffee, all the decaffienating is done before the beans are roasted
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Yeah it's generally done to whole green beans

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    edited January 2023
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Not quite. The original question was posed by me regarding the BBC proposing that Bale was the best ever British player. This struck me as wrong, as well as a stupid proposal.
    Yeah sorry, I got that but the responses had moved on to SC’s comment. To answer your question I don’t think he is Wales’ greatest player. For me Giggs was better, from what everyone says John Charles was arguably the best and I would also rate Rush higher on a full career basis rather than just international career (possibly Hughes too).

I always feel sorry for defenders and keepers in GOAT discussions too. No-one ever considers them, Southall was possibly the best keeper in the world for a few years but I doubt anyone would consider him in a discussion on Wales best ever player.
  • orraloon
    Southall? Southall! I see your Southall and raise you René Higuita. Por ejemplo

https://youtu.be/TRj3dKKp9tI

treating Ingerlaand with all due respec'. 😊
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Insisting that snooker players wear evening dress then allowing to players plaster it in sponsors badges.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I
    monkimark said:

I think that even with ground coffee, all the decaffienating is done before the beans are roasted

pangolin said:

Thanks both, I hadn't given it much thought beyond my initial bemusement.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    orraloon said:

Southall? Southall! I see your Southall and raise you René Higuita. Por ejemplo

https://youtu.be/TRj3dKKp9tI

treating Ingerlaand with all due respec'. 😊

He wouldn't have had to save anything if he'd been playing abainst Scotland :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

I

monkimark said:

pangolin said:

Thanks both, I hadn't given it much thought beyond my initial bemusement.
    Logically it is odd that you have to grind the coffee up to get all the tasty stuff out, but not to get the caffeine out.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    Why I should suddenly be getting an influx of Arabian followers of my Topsham photos FB Page... can't see an obvious link for the latest one, for instance... maybe there's a Topsham in Egypt...

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    They're Morrocan. Probably found you through your French stuff.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

They're Morrocan. Probably found you through your French stuff.

OK, my geography sucks.

But don't think so, as I'm not getting any influx on the French page at all. And I've just had another look, and I'm getting swamped with followers none of whom have ever liked any of my posts or apparently have any connection with Topsham or even the UK... this is properly weird!!

• orraloon
    The bots are locked on. Blame Muskrat fanboi 'zing.
  • briantrumpet
    Yup, something properly weird there... I'd taken my eye off the ball, and there were piles of similar-looking accounts, all from far-flung places. I can only assume that one latched onto the page and the rest followed, but I don't see what gain there is in following the FB Page of a very amateur photographer sharing photos of Topsham...

Well, that's 166 blocked now anyway.
  • Pross

Yup, something properly weird there... I'd taken my eye off the ball, and there were piles of similar-looking accounts, all from far-flung places. I can only assume that one latched onto the page and the rest followed, but I don't see what gain there is in following the FB Page of a very amateur photographer sharing photos of Topsham...

They’d start advertising all sorts of shite and scam websites after a while. I see it on a few groups I’m a member of which are a bit lax, there was one person on the FB page for my one choir today with some scam Adidas trainers site. I even get loads of foreign people trying to join the private members group I’m admin of for my other choir.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

They’d start advertising all sorts of shite and scam websites after a while. I see it on a few groups I’m a member of which are a bit lax, there was one person on the FB page for my one choir today with some scam Adidas trainers site. I even get loads of foreign people trying to join the private members group I’m admin of for my other choir.

Well, if that's it, they were wasting their time anyway, as it being a Page and not a Group, they wouldn't have got published anyway.

Anyway, serves me right... I should have kept on top of it, but, trying to be open-minded, I'd not been wanting to block people just because they had non-English (or French) sounding names.