Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Anyone actually want to argue homes are as affordable as they always were?

It’s this kind of pathetic defensiveness that leads to the political ignorance of the problem.

No, because they aren't.

I would have loved to have bought a house for the price my parents paid for our family home but that's life. One good thing that will come from this bout of inflation is that for those with mortgage debt, it will reduce the value of what they owe over time.
    Only if wages (nominal) track inflation - though with your anti union view I figured you weren’t necessarily interested in that ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    edited January 2023

rjsterry said:

Not in my experience.

Disappointed.
    We have a Vauxhall.

The classic architect's car would be a DS.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,984
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not in my experience.

Disappointed.
    We have a Vauxhall.
    Mmm.

What are your thoughts on black turtlenecks?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

Stevo_666 said:

It’s this kind of pathetic defensiveness that leads to the political ignorance of the problem.

No, because they aren't.

I would have loved to have bought a house for the price my parents paid for our family home but that's life. One good thing that will come from this bout of inflation is that for those with mortgage debt, it will reduce the value of what they owe over time.
    Only if wages (nominal) track inflation - though with your anti union view I figured you weren’t necessarily interested in that ;)
    Well obviously. Bear in mind large wage raises stoke inflation, although with your pro union views I guess you dont care :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,035
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Well obviously. Bear in mind large wage raises stoke inflation, although with your pro union views I guess you dont care :)

Does that include the CEOs of FTSE100 companies?

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

I don't think they would materially impact inflation. Has Rick hacked your account BTW?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

I don't think they would materially impact inflation. Has Rick hacked your account BTW?

Where does the money come from for such large pay rises? Customers? Could they keep down prices instead?

Don't worry, I haven't got a graph...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not in my experience.

Disappointed.
    We have a Vauxhall.
    Mmm.

I do have a black turtleneck.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Where I left my car before Christmas. It's in Topsham somewhere, and as I don't know when I'm next going to use it, I should disconnect the battery, once I find my car. I should have taken a photo to remind me...
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Large corporate profits also stoke inflation.

You can have any two of the following - decent wage growth, high corporate profits, low inflation.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    orraloon said:

What's intriguing me just now is not the statistics on relative house ownerships, nor managers good, bad or indifferent.

It's the absence of small feathered friends on the bird feeder. Crows still stamp about on the roof and keep having a go at the (now secured to minimise the robbing) hanging feeder. But very low consumption rates, and very few hedge sparrows etc seen. Post- BigFreeze consequences? Little fellas didn't survive as well?

Though as typing this by the window, one sparrow visited briefly. Before times there would a gang of them.

If I don't feed my birds early enough, they go en masse (they gather in the hedge) and cross the road to the neighbours.
    I'm not surprised (nor going to try and compete) because she feeds them meal worms, sunflower kernels, fat balls, nuts and seed.
    ...and they seem to stay there and there's seed/nuts/fat balls left over on my side.
    But if I feed them early, the food is all gone.
    My thinking is that as they are not nesting and will roost wherever they like, they are not tied to my garden.

So see what happens if you put the bird food out at first light.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Not in my experience.

Disappointed.
    We have a Vauxhall.
    Mmm.

I do have a black turtleneck.
    ...and graphs. There's just no stopping you.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Where does the money come from for such large pay rises? Customers? Could they keep down prices instead?

If its not material to inflation why are you bothered?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Where does the money come from for massive pay rises? Or is there a magic money tree?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Where does the money come from for massive pay rises? Or is there a magic money tree?
    It comes from the serfs silly, and nobody cares about them.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Customers? Feel free not to buy from the companies who offend you in that respect.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Customers? Feel free not to buy from the companies who offend you in that respect.

Of course, but those massive pay rises are still being funded. I find it intriguing that you are so exercised by inflation-matching pay rises by lower-paid workers, because they might stoke inflation, but are relaxed about massive pay rises for some of the most well-paid, whose pay rises magically seem not to have the same effect on inflation.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

It's no surprise that AI is binary.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, because they aren't.

Of course, but those massive pay rises are still being funded. I find it intriguing that you are so exercised by inflation-matching pay rises by lower-paid workers, because they might stoke inflation, but are relaxed about massive pay rises for some of the most well-paid, whose pay rises magically seem not to have the same effect on inflation.
    Surprisingly there are only 100 CEOs of FTSE100 companies so as mentioned no material impact on inflation. And more to the point, they don't go on strike.

You might also want to point to where I posted that I was exercised about inflation matching pay rises for workers as I don't remember that.

This might be a bit more suited to the leftiebollox thread BTW.
  • pinno
    " The median FTSE 100 CEO’s earnings for 2023 will surpass the median annual salary for a full-time worker in the UK by around 2pm on Thursday 5 January, after having worked around 30 hours, according to calculations by the High Pay Centre.

...The figures highlight how top pay has increased dramatically following the easing of the Covid-19 pandemic, after falling while lockdowns and other economic restrictions were in place. Last year, executive pay data suggested that CEOs would have to wait until the fourth working day of 2022 to overtake the median worker’s annual salary, while this year they will accomplish the feat in under three days."

[From the high pay centre who are campaigning for fairer pay]

The High Pay Centre is an independent, non-partisan think tank focused on the causes and consequences of economic inequality, with a particular interest in top pay. We run a programme of research, events and policy analysis involving business, trade unions, investors and civil society focused on achieving an approach to pay practices that enjoys the confidence of all stakeholders.

One of their missions:

"There is an urgent need for us to move from a stakeholder to a shareholder model of capitalism. From Davos to the Business Roundtable, some of the world’s most powerful businesspeople are also calling for this. This now needs to move from action to words. In the UK we advocate reforming the Companies Act to change the responsibilities of directors from being legally required to prioritise shareholders to one where the interests of workers, consumers, wider society and the environment are given equal priority."
  • Stevo_666
    It intrigues me how many time this crops up.

• pinno
    edited January 2023
    After your predecessors Prime Minister Stevo, how are you going to tackle inflation, industrial action, housing shortages, rising inequality, the cost of living crisis, major staff shortages - across all sectors, wage inequality, infrastructure investment shortfalls and climate change?
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

" The median FTSE 100 CEO’s earnings for 2023 will surpass the median annual salary for a full-time worker in the UK by around 2pm on Thursday 5 January, after having worked around 30 hours, according to calculations by the High Pay Centre.

...The figures highlight how top pay has increased dramatically following the easing of the Covid-19 pandemic, after falling while lockdowns and other economic restrictions were in place. Last year, executive pay data suggested that CEOs would have to wait until the fourth working day of 2022 to overtake the median worker’s annual salary, while this year they will accomplish the feat in under three days."

[From the high pay centre who are campaigning for fairer pay]

The High Pay Centre is an independent, non-partisan think tank focused on the causes and consequences of economic inequality, with a particular interest in top pay. We run a programme of research, events and policy analysis involving business, trade unions, investors and civil society focused on achieving an approach to pay practices that enjoys the confidence of all stakeholders.

One of their missions:

"There is an urgent need for us to move from a stakeholder to a shareholder model of capitalism. From Davos to the Business Roundtable, some of the world’s most powerful businesspeople are also calling for this. This now needs to move from action to words. In the UK we advocate reforming the Companies Act to change the responsibilities of directors from being legally required to prioritise shareholders to one where the interests of workers, consumers, wider society and the environment are given equal priority."

I'd suggest they got the bold bit backwards?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    Isn't there a Japanese business principle that a healthy company has no more than a factor of 20 of earnings between highest and lowest paid employees?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Why are we rosbifs, not rosboeufs?
  • briantrumpet
    mrb123 said:

Why are we rosbifs, not rosboeufs?

Cos it's a kinda Phrench phonetic version of 'roast beefs'.
  • First.Aspect
    The pomp and circumstance of a cup draw, when a computer can do it in milliseconds.
  • If one felt the need to use the term “Sainos” in everyday conversation would one pronounce the ending like Davos or Cheerios?
  • pblakeney

If one felt the need to use the term “Sainos” in everyday conversation would one pronounce the ending like Davos or Cheerios?

I simply wouldn't.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2023

If one felt the need to use the term “Sainos” in everyday conversation would one pronounce the ending like Davos or Cheerios?

Cheerios :)

Or the ending of waitrose...