Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry said:

To partly answer RC's question, both my 11 year old and the 13 year old are taught more than one way to solve a given maths problem and instructed to use whichever works for them.

Good, this seems sensible.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,174
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I was kindly given a booze-laden Christmas pud by a motherly friend... but when I went to reheat it, it appeared that it was only part-cooked (I assume by mistake)... anyway, it turned out that three minutes in the microwave for a decent serving turned it into the food of the gods. As I was in France, with copious crème fraîche, bien sûr.

I still have a Christmas pud left over. I'm saving it for the weekend in the vain hope that I'll burn it off instead of working sat in front of a PC all day.
    There's loads of them cut price in the supermarkets.
    La la la. Not listening!
    I also have 2 Belgian chocolate bombes and a vienetta left over. And a belly. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I was kindly given a booze-laden Christmas pud by a motherly friend... but when I went to reheat it, it appeared that it was only part-cooked (I assume by mistake)... anyway, it turned out that three minutes in the microwave for a decent serving turned it into the food of the gods. As I was in France, with copious crème fraîche, bien sûr.

I still have a Christmas pud left over. I'm saving it for the weekend in the vain hope that I'll burn it off instead of working sat in front of a PC all day.
    La la la. Not listening!
    Pedal more.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,174
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

La la la. Not listening!
    Pedal more.
    Meh, winter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    rjsterry said:

To partly answer RC's question, both my 11 year old and the 13 year old are taught more than one way to solve a given maths problem and instructed to use whichever works for them.

My 15 & 13 year old have both found my old methods useful in the past over the methods taught in school. Their teachers have been happy for them to use whatever works for them.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2023
    That's good and glad to hear it's a departure from my own experience 20 years ago.

I got away with doing my own thing because I always had good marks. If you didn't, you weren't afforded that latitude.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,992
    I'm intrigued by the Peloton adverts I get when watching cycling videos on Youtube.

The "cyclist/Peloton customer" Venn diagram is two entirely separate circles, isn't it?
  • rick_chasey

I'm intrigued by the Peloton adverts I get when watching cycling videos on Youtube.

The "cyclist/Peloton customer" Venn diagram is two entirely separate circles, isn't it?

Yeah. Lots of colleagues have them.

When I suggest they could buy themselves a more comfortable bike for half the price they point out there is "no way in hell i'll ride on the road, far too dangerous".

They genuinely think I'm some sort of evangelical nutter who has blinded himself to the terrors of riding a bike on public roads.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    I'm intrigued how many people think static bikes are anything other than deadly boring (same goes for treadmills, rowing machines etc). Static anything does my nut in and the most I've ever managed on a static bike is 20 minutes before I feel the burning need to get off.

I get the bit about keeping up the miles when the weather is rubbish, but apart from that, no thanks.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I loathe them too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405

Na, I suspect there's a lot of overlap between leisure cyclists and those who use peloton. The thing with their ads that intrigues me is the 90 odd percent who renew their contract. I wonder how many are actually regularly using it against those that are too lazy / forget to cancel. I had a Zwift subscription for 2.5 years but only used it about half a dozen times as I kept telling myself I was going to find time to use the trbo again (I initially got the smart trainer and Zwift at the very start of lockdown when I was recovering from a stress fracture and couldn't run).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,773
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm intrigued how many people think static bikes are anything other than deadly boring (same goes for treadmills, rowing machines etc). Static anything does my nut in and the most I've ever managed on a static bike is 20 minutes before I feel the burning need to get off.

I get the bit about keeping up the miles when the weather is rubbish, but apart from that, no thanks.

I agree. Rollers are marginally better as you need to concentrate on not falling off.
  • I find that on zwift unless I'm in a race. Any race.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Continuity innit (for me): get fit and stay fit/strong. I hate getting back into shape after an absence. When I am pedalling, I love being in that zone where i'm just pedalling and not even conscious of the fact that I am pedalling - i'm thinking of other things and observing what's around me,
    But you are obviously not in that groove or gagging for a pedal if you go x number of days without one.
    I get excess energy and I cannot sleep. Mostly in summer, less in winter.

There's other factors too.
    I don't need to to don loads of winter clothing; I go for a blast, get straight off and into a shower.
    I put my headphones on and can be in my own world for an hour or so in the warmth, dry.
    If I don't have time (my average ride time outdoors last year was 1hr49 mins), then the rollers will do.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I have my static trainer thing set up so I'm looking outside to the views. Plus will have music / radio / podcast on. So brain has something to do other than watch the numbers display. Guess if all I had to look at was a concrete garage wall, it could get challenging.
  • I'm intrigued by the Peloton adverts I get when watching cycling videos on Youtube.

When I suggest they could buy themselves a more comfortable bike for half the price they point out there is "no way in hell i'll ride on the road, far too dangerous".

They genuinely think I'm some sort of evangelical nutter who has blinded himself to the terrors of riding a bike on public roads.
    I'm some sort of evangelical nutter who has blinded himself to...
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Zwift certainly makes it a lot more bearable and it is easier to manage structured interval training on a static trainer than out on the road. The biggest problem I find is discomfort, as the bike is in the same position I find saddle pressure worse and certain muscle groups do more work than they would out on the road where you are in and out of the saddle or occasionally free-wheeling then there's the over-heating, I haven't found any fan that can realistically fit in my room that can generate anytghing like the cooling effect of actually moving through the air.

I absolutely loathe the treadmill, it isn't even that good a way of replicating running as you are just moving your legs to keep up rather than actually having to propel yourself forwards (I know you can get non-motorised treadmills that I assume are more relistic but have never actually seen one).
  • rick_chasey

I'm some sort of evangelical nutter who has blinded himself to...
    It's almost like I wrote that deliberately ;)
  • pinno

But these are the people who earn a lot and drive Sebastian and Penelope the 100 yds to school in their Wange Wover Vogues.

• rick_chasey
    I don't think what you earn has much to do with it Pino tbh.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,773
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Zwift certainly makes it a lot more bearable and it is easier to manage structured interval training on a static trainer than out on the road. The biggest problem I find is discomfort, as the bike is in the same position I find saddle pressure worse and certain muscle groups do more work than they would out on the road where you are in and out of the saddle or occasionally free-wheeling then there's the over-heating, I haven't found any fan that can realistically fit in my room that can generate anytghing like the cooling effect of actually moving through the air.

I absolutely loathe the treadmill, it isn't even that good a way of replicating running as you are just moving your legs to keep up rather than actually having to propel yourself forwards (I know you can get non-motorised treadmills that I assume are more relistic but have never actually seen one).
    I have an industrial fan that sits on floor. Feels like riding a bike outside.

Increasing the treadmill incline made it feel more like running.

I don't do either activity regularly though.
  • Pross
    The best thing with a treadmill is I have to concentrate on my balance which is probably good for my core and running form but I don't have a gym membership anymore so no reason to go near one luckily! It was quite good for one half marathon I do as my gym was very close to the start so I could warm up on the treadmill, it may not be a coincidence that every time I ran that half marathon I got a fairly significant PB.
  • First.Aspect

Given the price of a Peloton bike for what you actually get, there's probably a correlation.

I know we all spend way more on actual bikes, but these Pelotons are bought by people who think they ought to be exercising, want to be told what to do by a motivational person on a screen because they think its the only way they will do it, and who don't like outdoors because it has things like dirt in it.

There are all paying over the odds for a silver bullet. It's the same demographic as the office worker at the gym with a personal trainer.
  • rick_chasey

Given the price of a Peloton bike for what you actually get, there's probably a correlation.

I know we all spend way more on actual bikes, but these Pelotons are bought by people who think they ought to be exercising, want to be told what to do by a motivational person on a screen because they think its the only way they will do it, and who don't like outdoors because it has things like dirt in it.

There are all paying over the odds for a silver bullet. It's the same demographic as the office worker at the gym with a personal trainer.
    I'm glad you know why they all bought it, without having spoken to any of them.

I asked them and it was about wanting to ride for fitness but not wanting to do it with traffic.
  • First.Aspect

I'm glad you know why they all bought it, without having spoken to any of them.

I asked them and it was about wanting to ride for fitness but not wanting to do it with traffic.
    Do you have a lot of arguments in your personal life?
  • rick_chasey
    Nah, keep them on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,365
    There are umpteen 'Peloton regrets' threads on various platforms.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The person I know who bought a peloton bike reckoned it was cheaper than have three gym memberships
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    Cheaper still to have no gym memberships and no Peloton....
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

The person I know who bought a peloton bike reckoned it was cheaper than have three gym memberships

But a Peloton is stationary - wouldn't he need three of them?