Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,178

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I was slightly surprised when they reported that New York is down to minus 10 as that feels like a fairly regular winter temperature for them. Minus 6 in Houston probably less so.

IIRC it's mostly just early.
    The really cold stuff doesn't usually hit until January.
    Either that or did not realise the locals were using fahrenheit

Dunno about you, but F for weather temperatures doesn't make any sense at all.

Intrigues me that UK schoolchildren *still* often give their height in feet & inches, when most f their parents will have been born well after decimalisation.
    Standard used to be F in the summer, C in the winter. More extreme, see.
    Like distance/speed kms and vertical feet in cycling. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    masjer said:

I was also intrigued how they dealt with it in Islamic countries:
    https://youtu.be/Ch6qDoYzQdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hK1wyrrAU
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Someone once explained to me Fahrenheit is basically a range of human tolerance and then it made a lot more sense.

It is so stupid they don’t convert however.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I was slightly surprised when they reported that New York is down to minus 10 as that feels like a fairly regular winter temperature for them. Minus 6 in Houston probably less so.

IIRC it's mostly just early.
    The really cold stuff doesn't usually hit until January.
    Either that or did not realise the locals were using fahrenheit
    Weather forecaster trying to explain this to Charlie Staite just now after he repeated someone talking about a sudden drop of 40 degrees. He still doesn’t seem to get it and was going to check even though it’s obvious that if you are talking to an American they’ll be using Fahrenheit when discussing weather.

As a side note I always struggle with minus temperatures in Fahrenheit trying to work out if it’s colder or not as they gradually get closer before Celsius is colder. The transition is actually around the minimum predicted temperatures from this storm.
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited December 2022
    Any clued up football referees out there?
    I watched the world cup final penalty shoot-out. The Argentinian goalkeeper kicked the ball away from the penalty taker. Normally from a dead ball situation, kicking the ball away is a yellow card.
    So - can a player be booked/red carded during a penalty shoot-out?
    If a goalkeeper is sent off, who takes his place?

Any informed reply may help me sleep well.

P.S. I'm not French, I was just wondering.
  • Any clued up football referees out there?
    I watched the world cup final penalty shoot-out. The Argentinian goalkeeper kicked the ball away from the penalty taker. Normally from a dead ball situation, kicking the ball away is a yellow card.
    So - can a player be booked/red carded during a penalty shoot-out?
    If a goalkeeper is sent off, who takes his place?

Any informed reply may help me sleep well.

P.S. I'm not French, I was just wondering.

A player can be red carded during the shootout. Another player who was on the pitch has to replace them.

But yellow cards aren't carried into the shoot-out so if the keeper has had a yellow during the match, they can get another yellow during the shoot-out without getting sent off.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I’ve received a lovely looking wedge of Tombea Italian cheese. Absolutely no idea how it’s supposed to be eaten.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    mully79 said:

I’ve received a lovely looking wedge of Tombea Italian cheese. Absolutely no idea how it’s supposed to be eaten.

I'm going to suggest to cut into bite size slices / chunks and with or without cracker type accompaniment put it in one's mouth and chew. HTH.
  • pinno
    mully79 said:

Suck it?
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

mully79 said:

I'm going to suggest to cut into bite size slices / chunks and with or without cracker type accompaniment put it in one's mouth and chew. HTH.
    Take it out of the fridge an hour before eating.
    If it's in the fridge.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I had a nibble, nearly blew my head off. Bit stronger than a mature cheddar 🤣
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,776
    Why anyone, in the absence of a train strike, would choose to travel on National Express.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Why anyone, in the absence of a train strike, would choose to travel on National Express.

It's a divine comedy isn't it?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116

Its cheap.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Its cheap.
    This. My daughter uses Megabus or National Express to get back from Uni as even with a student railcard and booking in advance it is quite a bit cheaper. The National Express is more direct, Megabus goes into Bristol on the way but is a nicer bus apparently. Ironically she’d booked a train ticket to come back at Christmas but then had to change to National Express anyway due to the strikes.

We went to Paris once on Eurolines which I think is the same group. It was horrendous mainly because it is cheap and the type of passenger that attracts!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,776
    I get the price element and also on a Bristol to London journey, both arrival and departure points could be better. In my case, it was a worse arrival place, more expensive, slower, less comfortable, delayed by traffic and terrible service - not something I'm usually worried about, but the driver slowed down and threatened not to continue on motorway until some kid had his seatbelt on.
  • Pross
    Why do female action heroes on film or TV always seem to dress in skin tight leather / PVC? It doesn’t seem very practical.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Why do female action heroes on film or TV always seem to dress in skin tight leather / PVC? It doesn’t seem very practical.

I'm surprised that intrigues you as the answer is very obvious.
    You don't have to like the answer but that is why.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,051
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I suspect Pross might have omitted an emoji...
  • pblakeney
    Taliban university show why it might not be a good idea to attend. They are stupid.
    "Taliban university ban: 'I wish God never created women'" How do they exist? 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Taliban university show why it might not be a good idea to attend. They are stupid.

I saw that BBC report. It was a young woman saying it and I think in the context (of her on the verge of going to University but can't), she resents being a woman.
    It's very sad really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-64106764

What is even sadder, is that the West pulled out of Afghanistan - did they think the Liberal democratic Taliban party was going to take over?
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

It was sort of a tongue in cheek question but was inspired by watching the new Bosch series which is generally down to earth but for some reason they chose to introduce a hot female assassin who did the cliche stretchy tight fitting leather trousers and jacket and felt completely out of place.
  • Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

It was sort of a tongue in cheek question but was inspired by watching the new Bosch series which is generally down to earth but for some reason they chose to introduce a hot female assassin who did the cliche stretchy tight fitting leather trousers and jacket and felt completely out of place.
    Would you mind completing your warning by letting us know what channel it is on and at what time so that we can ensure we don’t accidentally stumble over it.
  • pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I saw that BBC report. It was a young woman saying it and I think in the context (of her on the verge of going to University but can't), she resents being a woman.
    It's very sad really.

What is even sadder, is that the West pulled out of Afghanistan - did they think the Liberal democratic Taliban party was going to take over?

“Pulling out” is a pretty generous interpretation of events
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Completely out of place but for a specific reason. 😉
    Thanks for the background info. Very helpful. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

It's very sad really.

The report is extremely badly written.
    It gives a quote but not who said it or any context.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Would you mind completing your warning by letting us know what channel it is on and at what time so that we can ensure we don’t accidentally stumble over it.
    See TV review thread.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Pross said:

Intriguing or not, I'm struggling to see a problem here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Sale shopping at a shopping centre.

My daughter is to blame for this one. Wanted to go to get a new battery in her phone and we are both off at the moment. She suggests going to Trafford Centre which I advise will not be pleasant.

We agree to tie it in with going skiing at the indoor slope around the corner and a wham bam thank you ma’am flying visit at the shopping centre.

I’ve avoided such idiocy for 20 years and today confirmed why.

What intrigued me is why people choose to indulge in such madness as I don’t for one second believe they were all just foolish one off visits as per ours.

Absolute chaos. Jammed solid with people and the one clothes shop we did go in was like it had been ransacked. At least 10% of the stock on the floor. A genuinely unpleasant experience. We exited and walked around the shopping centre to get back to the car.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Intriguing or not, I'm struggling to see a problem here.
    'Meow' - 2mins 50 secs in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrOmEtXk0k