Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    morstar said:

Sale shopping at a shopping centre.

My daughter is to blame for this one. Wanted to go to get a new battery in her phone and we are both off at the moment. She suggests going to Trafford Centre which I advise will not be pleasant.

We agree to tie it in with going skiing at the indoor slope around the corner and a wham bam thank you ma’am flying visit at the shopping centre.

I’ve avoided such idiocy for 20 years and today confirmed why.

What intrigued me is why people choose to indulge in such madness as I don’t for one second believe they were all just foolish one off visits as per ours.

Absolute chaos. Jammed solid with people and the one clothes shop we did go in was like it had been ransacked. At least 10% of the stock on the floor. A genuinely unpleasant experience. We exited and walked around the shopping centre to get back to the car.

Sales innit, that thing that they never have otherwise bought was 50% off so they simply couldn’t leave it there.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    I find online sales much more easy going...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited December 2022
    Tbf the Boxing Day trip to curry’s to buy the expensive piece of kit like Xbox or iPad that is being subsidised by a “gift” from the parents is one of the most exciting trips when you’re younger.

Halcyon days. Doubly so when the sister comes along because, in anticipation, she bought the A list game for the console you’re going to buy.

Better than Christmas.
  • Pross

Tbf the Boxing Day trip to curry’s to buy the expensive piece of kit like Xbox or iPad that is being subsidised by a “gift” from the parents is one of the most exciting trips when you’re younger.

Halcyon days. Doubly so when the sister comes along because, in anticipation, she bought the A list game for the console you’re going to buy.

Better than Christmas.

Until you get there and find they’re sold out.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

morstar said:

Sale shopping at a shopping centre.

My daughter is to blame for this one. Wanted to go to get a new battery in her phone and we are both off at the moment. She suggests going to Trafford Centre which I advise will not be pleasant.

We agree to tie it in with going skiing at the indoor slope around the corner and a wham bam thank you ma’am flying visit at the shopping centre.

I’ve avoided such idiocy for 20 years and today confirmed why.

What intrigued me is why people choose to indulge in such madness as I don’t for one second believe they were all just foolish one off visits as per ours.

Absolute chaos. Jammed solid with people and the one clothes shop we did go in was like it had been ransacked. At least 10% of the stock on the floor. A genuinely unpleasant experience. We exited and walked around the shopping centre to get back to the car.

Sales innit, that thing that they never have otherwise bought was 50% off so they simply couldn’t leave it there.
    My OH often tries to justify her unnecessary purchases by saying something like 'but they were 30% off in the sale'. I tell her I know a good way she could have saved another 70%.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Who buys those magazines they advertise where you get a bit of a model in each edition (first one cheap then normal price about a tenner)? The one currently being advertised to make a Batmobile is 120 editions to complete the car with the first being £1.99 and the rest £11.99. That’s over £1400 for a toy car!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,049
    Pross said:

Who buys those magazines they advertise where you get a bit of a model in each edition (first one cheap then normal price about a tenner)? The one currently being advertised to make a Batmobile is 120 editions to complete the car with the first being £1.99 and the rest £11.99. That’s over £1400 for a toy car!

Idiots.

Next...
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Idiots.

Next...
  • Pross said:

Is that real? A monthly magazine means 10 years to collect all the parts. Have to be seriously OCD to collect bits of plastic that long to make a toy! 🙂
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    edited December 2022

Pross said:

Is that real? A monthly magazine means 10 years to collect all the parts. Have to be seriously OCD to collect bits of plastic that long to make a toy! 🙂
    Yep, it is mainly weekly after the first few. I’ve read in the past of ones where the company stops doing them part of the way through as well. I got the price wrong, most are £10.99 not £11.99 but they do a premium version that is even more expensive!

https://batmobile.hachettepartworks.com/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    The Lego one's are a giggle. If you got the parts list, you could source the parts (second hand) and build them for a fraction of the cost.
    The Millennium Falcon collector series:

https://www.zavvi.com/toys-lego/lego-star-wars-millennium-falcon-collector-series-set-75192/12954858.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000101751058&gclid=CjwKCAiAkrWdBhBkEiwAZ9cdcIfwnv25Koc7HkLXjjRzPivqeR8ucnrOKBspehnJZj3eWNuM9Q--PBoCxacQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Building instructions (free PdF).

https://www.lego.com/en-my/service/buildinginstructions/75192

With some time and patience, you could build the thing for about 1/4 the full price.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Catching up on episodes of the Modern Mann podcast, Olly Mann and Ollie Peart, Rick-likes I reckon, and hear them wittering on about how they don't know what subscriptions they are paying, they need an app to work it out, to manage the outflow of £ from their accounts.

Eh? Do you not keep basic financial records? A simple Excel or Google sheet? Look at your bank statements ever?

Millennials eh.
  • orraloon
    1 litre of organic semi skimmed milk costs £1.10 in local coop shop. The standard semi skimmed costs £1.45 for 2 pints, so 1.136 litres, equivalent to £1.27 per litre. 🤔 the organic is cheaper.
  • Pross
    edited January 2023
    orraloon said:

1 litre of organic semi skimmed milk costs £1.10 in local coop shop. The standard semi skimmed costs £1.45 for 2 pints, so 1.136 litres, equivalent to £1.27 per litre. 🤔 the organic is cheaper.

It's probably a woke, leftie liberal free zone so no-one was buying it and it was reaching the use by date. You may find avacados going for a song too.

Do they have a stack of Guardians in the returns pile each evening as well?
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

orraloon said:

It's probably a woke, leftie liberal free zone so no-one was buying it and it was reaching the use by date. You may find avacados going for a song too.

Or maybe now that we're going back to Imperial measurements to show that we've taken back control, they've forgotten how much a litre is in pints.

• Stevo_666
    Pross said:

orraloon said:

I reckon Loon won't answer otherwise the place will be mobbed :)
  • orraloon
    Nah, 's easy, the mobbers are all chasing some YouTubers sugary pish out of Aldi.

Std shelf marked prices, use by date on bottle 8/1/23. But I'm no telling you where it is, coz it's mine, all mine...

NFTs on sale at bargain price coming your way soon.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    I'm intrigued by how few decent films Stanley Tucci has actually been in.
  • briantrumpet
    Being able to see the raw forecasts for different models at Meteociel... you'll have to forgive the fact that it's a French site, and that the graphics show a clear sky at night with a sun graphic, but once you get past that, being able to see the convergence or divergence between different models (Arpege, Arome, Icon, etc) gives you a decent idea of the certainty of the overall forecast. Also the hourly rainfall rate forecast is useful for judging intensity fluctuations.

Just for an example, here's Kingston-upon-Thames:

https://www.meteociel.fr/previsions/53776/kingston_upon_thames.htm
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Nah, 's easy, the mobbers are all chasing some YouTubers sugary pish out of Aldi.

Std shelf marked prices, use by date on bottle 8/1/23. But I'm no telling you where it is, coz it's mine, all mine...

NFTs on sale at bargain price coming your way soon.

They're not going to come that far for milk.
    I know where it is and I can :smile:
  • orraloon

There's nothing for you here.
  • briantrumpet
    French social media interaction... I posted a bad photo of a cup of coffee and an almond croissant this morning, and it's so far got 262 likes and 64 comments. I wasn't even showing any leg. Don't they have anything better to do here? 🤔
  • pinno
    Why are the striking rail workers demanding more money form the govt. when all the rail companies are privately owned?
  • pinno said:

Why are the striking rail workers demanding more money form the govt. when all the rail companies are privately owned?

Because they can't do anything without asking first.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    pinno said:

Only some are privately owned.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Will my smart speaker start answering questions addressed to the person called Alexa on Pointless?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,178
    Pross said:

Will my smart speaker start answering questions addressed to the person called Alexa on Pointless?

Guy in our club has a wife called Alexa. I wonder what it gets told to do..... 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Not too sure where to put this but i reckon I can squeeze it in here.

It intrigues me how people can work in emergency medicine.

Currently watching 24 hours in A&E. even a nurse sounds shocked at a patient with a fracture. That definitely perked up the sense for what was coming.

Foot hanging off on a thread at a very extreme angle. Totally open joint.

Bleurghhh.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969
    This 'joke' posted recently, old I know...

"Stanley have announced that they won't be making 12" rulers any longer".

It's had me wondering if other languages have anything equivalent, where they use what is basically bad grammar(?) to achieve this sort of misdirection to make a joke?

I haven't studied other languages in detail. I did the mandatory French and German at school, it might have been how we were taught but they seemed very rigid in structure. Greek seems the same too for the small amount I've learnt.

The older I get, the better I was.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,916
    I seem to remember my cousin trying to entertain me with similar French wordplay jokes when I went to visit when I was 15.
    They may have been more effective jokes if I wasn't there in an attempt to brush up my GCSE french beyond my predicted "F" grade.