Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    Did I imagine it or is there a TV advert for Echelon which looks to be an exact copy of Peloton?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,991
    Munsford0 said:

Did I imagine it or is there a TV advert for Echelon which looks to be an exact copy of Peloton?

Peloton wasn't a new idea in the first place. Companies like Nordic Track have been offering this sort of thing for a long time. This is what baffles me about the Peloton mania.

I also find it intriguing to see adverts of people working out on a mat next to their Peloton, with someone on a screen telling them what to do.

Do these people know that all of the Jane Fonda VCR workouts from the 80s are now available for free on Youtube?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405

webboo said:

The person I know who bought a peloton bike reckoned it was cheaper than have three gym memberships

But a Peloton is stationary - wouldn't he need three of them?

He wouldn't, that's presumably his point. He currently pays for 3 gym memberships but peloton allows all 3 off them to do it with a single subscription so is cheaper.
  • Pross

Munsford0 said:

Peloton wasn't a new idea in the first place. Companies like Nordic Track have been offering this sort of thing for a long time. This is what baffles me about the Peloton mania.

I also find it intriguing to see adverts of people working out on a mat next to their Peloton, with someone on a screen telling them what to do.

Do these people know that all of the Jane Fonda VCR workouts from the 80s are now available for free on Youtube?
    Marketing as always, the same reason Strava has done better than the like of Map My Run / Ride, Ride With GPS and all the others.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

webboo said:

The person I know who bought a peloton bike reckoned it was cheaper than have three gym memberships

He wouldn't, that's presumably his point. He currently pays for 3 gym memberships but peloton allows all 3 off them to do it with a single subscription so is cheaper.
    Why would he need 3 gym memberships? That's what I don't understand.
  • Pross

Pross said:

webboo said:

Three family members presumably?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Him, wife and daughter they all use the bike now or they reckoned so.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Pross said:

webboo said:

D'Oh.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

webboo said:

D'Oh.
    It wasn't just you
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm intrigued how many people think static bikes are anything other than deadly boring (same goes for treadmills, rowing machines etc). Static anything does my nut in and the most I've ever managed on a static bike is 20 minutes before I feel the burning need to get off.

I get the bit about keeping up the miles when the weather is rubbish, but apart from that, no thanks.

Continuity innit (for me): get fit and stay fit/strong. I hate getting back into shape after an absence. When I am pedalling, I love being in that zone where i'm just pedalling and not even conscious of the fact that I am pedalling - i'm thinking of other things and observing what's around me,
    But you are obviously not in that groove or gagging for a pedal if you go x number of days without one.
    I get excess energy and I cannot sleep. Mostly in summer, less in winter.

There's other factors too.
    I don't need to to don loads of winter clothing; I go for a blast, get straight off and into a shower.
    I put my headphones on and can be in my own world for an hour or so in the warmth, dry.
    If I don't have time (my average ride time outdoors last year was 1hr49 mins), then the rollers will do.

I do go a bit cold turkey if I don't exercise for a while. Its just the mental block on using static stuff that I can't get past - we actually have a cheapo static bike that my Mrs. 666 and junior bought for themselves - its in the corner of the dining room looking a bit dusty.

I find that a bit of planning around the weather or failing that some warm waterproof kit and a moderate dose of MTFU does the trick for me :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought when I retired from work I would never need to use the turbo ever again. But then there ice on the roads, 40mph winds and then there’s come back from injury/surgery. So it’s case of bite the bullet and get on with it which really isn’t that bad if your doing an interval session of 50 minutes or so.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm intrigued how many people think static bikes are anything other than deadly boring (same goes for treadmills, rowing machines etc). Static anything does my nut in and the most I've ever managed on a static bike is 20 minutes before I feel the burning need to get off.

I get the bit about keeping up the miles when the weather is rubbish, but apart from that, no thanks.

Continuity innit (for me): get fit and stay fit/strong. I hate getting back into shape after an absence. When I am pedalling, I love being in that zone where i'm just pedalling and not even conscious of the fact that I am pedalling - i'm thinking of other things and observing what's around me,
    But you are obviously not in that groove or gagging for a pedal if you go x number of days without one.
    I get excess energy and I cannot sleep. Mostly in summer, less in winter.

There's other factors too.
    I don't need to to don loads of winter clothing; I go for a blast, get straight off and into a shower.
    I put my headphones on and can be in my own world for an hour or so in the warmth, dry.
    If I don't have time (my average ride time outdoors last year was 1hr49 mins), then the rollers will do.

I do go a bit cold turkey if I don't exercise for a while. Its just the mental block on using static stuff that I can't get past - we actually have a cheapo static bike that my Mrs. 666 and junior bought for themselves - its in the corner of the dining room looking a bit dusty.

I find that a bit of planning around the weather or failing that some warm waterproof kit and a moderate dose of MTFU does the trick for me :smile:
    A decent turbo trainer or a set of rollers is infinitely better than a static - they don't compare. Statics are decrepit things. What era are you living in?
    Come to Jockland and i'll even give you a push into the gale and rain to get you going.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Why am I getting the London news and weather on BBC Wales this morning?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Pross said:

Putin has nuked Wales?
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Putin has nuked Wales?
    Still looks the same but I can only see Newport so it isn’t much of a guide.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023
    Every other week you see an article in whatever outlet about some company trying some radical work thing that everyone moans about; be it banning recurring meetings for more than 3 people or asking everyone to ask how they're feeling at the start of a meeting or whatever.

I wonder how many of these things actually work as you never hear the follow up.

My guess is that, by now, we've already arrived at something fairly optimal, and for most of us, the gripes are having to do things that *we* don't find useful but our superiors inevitably do, and because there are more juniors than seniors, it feels like lots of people agree.

Having said that, the massive reduction in presenteeism in offices post-covid would suggest that maybe there is some room for improvement, but I think the net benefit of it is less than we would hope; I think it's more empowering to workers but at the expense of the company.
  • First.Aspect
    You are going to make a great manager RC. Get people to the office and keep an eye on them...(stop them posting on social media, that sort of thing). Under no circumstances empower anyone.
  • Pross said:

Preparation for your forced move to the urban environment.
  • rick_chasey

You are going to make a great manager RC. Get people to the office and keep an eye on them...(stop them posting on social media, that sort of thing). Under no circumstances empower anyone.

Was explaining to my bosses that I spent a decade as a junior basically being bullied into doing the right things, so if they want me to manage people well they probably need to get me some formal teaching.
  • First.Aspect

Was explaining to my bosses that I spent a decade as a junior basically being bullied into doing the right things, so if they want me to manage people well they probably need to get me some formal teaching.
    It doesn't make much difference in my experience. Such training either tells you how to suck eggs, or it is baffling fluffy nonsense. It depends whether or not you are a good manager or not in the first place.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    My last job but one our Director went off to Cranfield to learn how to be a Director. First thing he was told?

Don't pork the payroll.

Wise words indeed
  • rick_chasey

It doesn't make much difference in my experience. Such training either tells you how to suck eggs, or it is baffling fluffy nonsense. It depends whether or not you are a good manager or not in the first place.
    Maybe.

I’m of the view most things can be learned, especially basic man management.

Not necessarily a subscriber to “either you’re good or you’re not”.

I suspect there are a lot of bullish!t artists masquerading as management teachers.
  • First.Aspect

Maybe.

I’m of the view most things can be learned, especially basic man management.

Not necessarily a subscriber to “either you’re good or you’re not”.

I suspect there are a lot of bullish!t artists masquerading as management teachers.
    I think people can gain insight and knock some corners off, but managing people is never going to be paint by numbers. Which is one of the reasons I don't, I suppose. What I do have to do is supervise and guide more junior professionals, and all I can be is me, which works well for some, not for others.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,174
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.
    I wouldn't be so reliant on teachers. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • You are going to make a great manager RC. Get people to the office and keep an eye on them...(stop them posting on social media, that sort of thing). Under no circumstances empower anyone.

I was sent on a management training course by my employer and it convinced me I didn't want to be a manager.
  • rick_chasey

I was sent on a management training course by my employer and it convinced me I didn't want to be a manager.
    That seems pretty effective tbh. Nothing worse than Peter principle being put into action.
  • You are going to make a great manager RC. Get people to the office and keep an eye on them...(stop them posting on social media, that sort of thing). Under no circumstances empower anyone.

That seems pretty effective tbh. Nothing worse than Peter principle being put into action.
    Yes, I found it useful.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,364

While there are certain character traits that will help/hinder, it sounds like you were just sent on the wrong courses.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,043
    pblakeney said:

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.
    I wouldn't be so reliant on teachers. 😉

Is that you, John?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,772
    I found a management course quite useful.