Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,988
    edited December 2022
    I don't understand people who drive in central London - do rich people enjoy going so slow?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116

I don't understand people who drive in central London - do rich people enjoy going so slow?

Delivery drivers, tradesmen etc who have to drive in London to do their jobs probably don't enjoy it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I don't understand people who choose to drive in central London - do rich people enjoy going so slow?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I don't understand people who choose to drive in central London - do rich people enjoy going so slow?

Who’s gonna notice your expensive car if you drive fast?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How did we manage before we had the media to tell us it’s going to be cold so you need to keep warm.
  • House 3 doors down from us had a fire engine in attendance for over an hour last night. They left the blue lights flashing the whole time so the inside of our house was lit up like some demented disco. No sign of smoke or flames or any unusual smells so I'm intrigued to know what was actually happening.

I can't knock the door and ask; the only time I've spoken to them in 30 years was to tell them my runaway car had partially demolished their garden wall...
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    Munsford0 said:

House 3 doors down from us had a fire engine in attendance for over an hour last night. They left the blue lights flashing the whole time so the inside of our house was lit up like some demented disco. No sign of smoke or flames or any unusual smells so I'm intrigued to know what was actually happening.

I can't knock the door and ask; the only time I've spoken to them in 30 years was to tell them my runaway car had partially demolished their garden wall...

Drive your car into their wall, then ask them.
  • Not got a company car any more so that's not an option...
  • webboo said:

How did we manage before we had the media to tell us it’s going to be cold so you need to keep warm.

Well in the summer they told us its going to be hot. Can’t fault them.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Munsford0 said:

House 3 doors down from us had a fire engine in attendance for over an hour last night. They left the blue lights flashing the whole time so the inside of our house was lit up like some demented disco. No sign of smoke or flames or any unusual smells so I'm intrigued to know what was actually happening.

Oops!

My van - in gear and with the handbrake on did that but very slowly in the night until there was this very loud knocking on the door. I poked my head out of the bedroom window at 2.30am ish and there was this irate bloke waving his arms and shouting at me. He said '"you don't usually park there". The van had gone down the cul de sac and hit the kerb on the bend blocking his path.

I was very grateful there was no damage but his reaction initially lead me to believe there was some sort of serious injury. Saying 'Calm down' didn't calm him down.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I'd arrived home early from work for an afternoon bike ride in the sun. Left car on the road so wife could park hers on the drive when she got home. Handbrake on but crucially neglected to leave it in gear. Hour later when I'm 15 miles from home on the bike got a call from said wife to say my car was down the hill, honking and flashing merrily, part on the pavement and surrounded by brickwork and broken tail-light. She unreasonably expected me to abandon the rest of my ride; I pointed out that it wasn't going to get any worse and I'd sort it out when I got back.

Retrieved the car before the neighbours came home, and when I later went round to explain why their garden wall had moved three feet to the left they said they hadn't noticed!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116

I don't understand people who choose to drive in central London - do rich people enjoy going so slow?

Fair question, London is a PITA to drive in. Maybe they don't like mingling too much with the peasants?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Why does Strava feel the need to hide the start and end of my virtual rides?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    mrb123 said:

It is a security option so people don't know where you live.
    IIRC you have to select that option so it is your fault. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    pblakeney said:

mrb123 said:

I know that, but virtual rides?? My Rouvy ride last night was the Col d'Honor, Mallorca. I definitely don't live in Bunyola sadly!
  • pblakeney
    mrb123 said:

pblakeney said:

mrb123 said:

I know that, but virtual rides?? My Rouvy ride last night was the Col d'Honor, Mallorca. I definitely don't live in Bunyola sadly!
    Yeahbut it is an auto setting. For all the bot knows you have moved to Bunyola.
    The bot will think virtual is reality too. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,988
    edited December 2022
    just seen mine does that too. Its so nobody knows where in Makuri Island I store my bike.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    There’s two elements now. There’s always been options to hide ride starting and finishing at home to stop thieves knowing where there is expensive bike kit. You can turn it off in privacy I think. They’ve recently added a default option to hide the start and end of activities undertaken anywhere which I don’t see the point in, I’ve turned it off on mine.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

There’s two elements now. There’s always been options to hide ride starting and finishing at home to stop thieves knowing where there is expensive bike kit. You can turn it off in privacy I think. They’ve recently added a default option to hide the start and end of activities undertaken anywhere which I don’t see the point in, I’ve turned it off on mine.

I guess a pattern could be established of a regular riding route that establishes where and when you would leave an empty car.

Arguably slim but tools to at least limit how easily we hand over a history of our movements are not a bad thing.

When my car was new, I briefly used the manufacturer’s app for lots of interesting driving info. Quickly decided I didn’t need to hand a private company the full history of all
    my driving.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    Why in English we call them 'grandchildren', when 'grand' means 'big', as in Grande-Bretagne = Big Britain. In French it's petits-enfants.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,204
    Why in French do they call them 'petits-enfants', when 'petit' means 'small', as in Petit amis Small-friend = girlfriend. In English, it's Grand children.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer
    I can see the logic in calling grandparents, grandparents. Maybe it's just a pairing up- grandparents, grandchildren.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Why in French do they call them 'petits-enfants', when 'petit' means 'small', as in Petit amis Small-friend = girlfriend. In English, it's Grand children.

Russian dolls ... children - little children - behind little children.

Yes, @masjer - that's the only reason I can see.

Incidentally, 'children' is one of only two plurals (the other being 'oxen') which retain the old English plural '-en'. The use of S for plurals is a terribly modern adoption.
  • Is brethren a plural? If so, I don't know what the singular is...
  • pblakeney
    Munsford0 said:

Is brethren a plural? If so, I don't know what the singular is...

Brother?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Plural of brother is brothers though
  • pblakeney
    Munsford0 said:

Plural of brother is brothers though

As above, that will be the modern version.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Munsford0 said:

Is brethren a plural? If so, I don't know what the singular is...

Ooh, good call!! Make that 'three' then!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Stevo_666 said:

Fair question, London is a PITA to drive in. Maybe they don't like mingling too much with the peasants?
    Maybe it's the other way around.
    Munsford0 said:

Plural of brother is brothers though

Modern plural is brothers. Archaic plural is brethren.

Men is the other obvious one, so that's at least 4.

Women makes 5. And then there are the numerous derivatives ending in men and women.

The -en in chicken or vixen is a diminutive.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • masjer
    Man-men? Woman-women?