Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

That Colliford Reservoir in Cornwall is still only 21% of capacity, at the beginning of this week. The two big Devon ones are only at 36% and 41%.

One has to hope that the relentless series of heavy showery rain this week will make a dent in the deficit.

https://www.swlakestrust.org.uk/current-reservoir-levels

Another 9% for Colliford and SWW are giving me £30. Come on rain!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You have a phone and 4g right?

Nope, in a lot of places close to here, no phone signal at all.
    lol christ alive. Second world country.

Yes, I imagine if you live somewhere without *phone signal* then I can see why 21st century headphones are not your bag.
    No there are hills here and light travels in straight lines, you d!ck.
    Pretty sure mobile signals have a wavelength close to the scale of hills so are likely to be diffracted by them. I may be misremembering.
    Not really. It's on the border between radio and microwave, but 3G, 4G and 5G are getting progressively worse, in that respect.

Same reason you get FM, DAB and Freeview blackspots everywhere, but you can still get test match special on 198LW.
    Atmospheric conditions can bend light so stating it travels in straight lines is incorrect. Atmospheric conditions also tend to bend RF towards earth, meaning that you can transmit beyond the horizon. Yes, of course LW is less affected by natural and man-made obstacles: that's the point of using it. Sound quality is pretty poor, though, which is why R3 doesn't bother with it.
    Yes Baldrick, I should have course have clarified that light travels in straight lines in a vacuum and in relation to space time.

You are conflating refraction, reflection and diffraction here. And signals bouncing off temperature inversion is is basically total internal reflection, which is a refractive effect, right?

Back to the point - how much diffraction occurs due to topography is dependent on wavelength and the size of the object(s) the radiation is interacting with. The salient point is that the wavelength of 5G is much shorter than LW radio, so the signals aren't diffracted as much, which in turn means more signal shadows in an incised valley in Midlothian than in the middle of a field on Cambridgeshire.
    Would have thought distance from the more widely spaced transmitters would make more difference. Useful range of a mast is only 1-3 miles and you keep telling us how empty it is in Mid Lothian.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2022
    Funny how you don’t get dead zones in other hilly countries.

Stop excusing poor infrastructure.

Anyway much more interesting is that the Belgian team speak in English when they’re playing.
  • Meh, Starlink, greatness, do one!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996

Anyway much more interesting is that the Belgian team speak in English when they’re playing.

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. You are basing your knowledge on holidays to touristy areas of Italy.

The question you asked originally was about 4G/5G to pick up radio when I'm cycling.

I cycle on isolated unclassified roads in very unpopulated parts of a sparsely populated region. It isn't comparable.

If you find yourself one or two rows of hills away from the main routes anywhere, you'll likely find blackspots, unless there's an EU fund for keeping sheep internet connected.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You have a phone and 4g right?

Nope, in a lot of places close to here, no phone signal at all.
    lol christ alive. Second world country.

Yes, I imagine if you live somewhere without *phone signal* then I can see why 21st century headphones are not your bag.
    No there are hills here and light travels in straight lines, you d!ck.
    Pretty sure mobile signals have a wavelength close to the scale of hills so are likely to be diffracted by them. I may be misremembering.
    Not really. It's on the border between radio and microwave, but 3G, 4G and 5G are getting progressively worse, in that respect.

Same reason you get FM, DAB and Freeview blackspots everywhere, but you can still get test match special on 198LW.
    Atmospheric conditions can bend light so stating it travels in straight lines is incorrect. Atmospheric conditions also tend to bend RF towards earth, meaning that you can transmit beyond the horizon. Yes, of course LW is less affected by natural and man-made obstacles: that's the point of using it. Sound quality is pretty poor, though, which is why R3 doesn't bother with it.
    Yes Baldrick, I should have course have clarified that light travels in straight lines in a vacuum and in relation to space time.

You are conflating refraction, reflection and diffraction here. And signals bouncing off temperature inversion is is basically total internal reflection, which is a refractive effect, right?

Back to the point - how much diffraction occurs due to topography is dependent on wavelength and the size of the object(s) the radiation is interacting with. The salient point is that the wavelength of 5G is much shorter than LW radio, so the signals aren't diffracted as much, which in turn means more signal shadows in an incised valley in Midlothian than in the middle of a field on Cambridgeshire.
    Would have thought distance from the more widely spaced transmitters would make more difference. Useful range of a mast is only 1-3 miles and you keep telling us how empty it is in Mid Lothian.
    Borders. It's the same as Midlothian in the same sense as Hampshire is the same as Surrey. And Mid Lothian doesn't exist.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. You are basing your knowledge on holidays to touristy areas of Italy.

The question you asked originally was about 4G/5G to pick up radio when I'm cycling.

I cycle on isolated unclassified roads in very unpopulated parts of a sparsely populated region. It isn't comparable.

If you find yourself one or two rows of hills away from the main routes anywhere, you'll likely find blackspots, unless there's an EU fund for keeping sheep internet connected.
    I’m not basing on that. I’m basing it on all the data that says Uk has some of the poorest coverage in the Western world. Go look it up.

It’s not even in the top 50 for coverage.

• Netherlands is good, but then again it's so fvck1n flat and boring, it's easy to transmit/receive signals.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    Ah Switzerland, that flat country

Though most people don’t have 5g so 4g is the coverage you should be interested in
  • First.Aspect

I’m not basing on that. I’m basing it on all the data that says Uk has some of the poorest coverage in the Western world. Go look it up.

It’s not even in the top 50 for coverage.
    Coverage in % population, or % area? Or don't you know?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053

Though most people don’t have 5g so 4g is the coverage you should be interested in

Good 4G is what I'm waiting for in France... they should be putting up a mast in the village in the next year. If I go about 100m from my house, I can see the current mast about 5km away, and the speed's good, but if I can't see the mast (there's a gert big mountain in the way), it's very unreliable, so I can vouch for them waves not turning corners. And yes, 4G is fine for most needs for me.
  • First.Aspect
    edited November 2022

Uk better than Italy though, RC.
  • First.Aspect
    Hilarious. Up to 9 million people afraid to move to rural areas because...

And for my next statistic I will just pop to the toilet. Give me ten minutes.

Anyhow, what's an article about urban download speeds got to do with my use of 4g and Bluetooth headphones in rural Scotland? Aside from the Pope/Catholic observation that things tend to be less good than in cities?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405

Eh? We should be building old tech infrastructure because not enough people have new tech yet?

That’s like you having crappy train services as we didn’t upgrade the network due to only having old rolling stock.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Eh? We should be building old tech infrastructure because not enough people have new tech yet?

That’s like you having crappy train services as we didn’t upgrade the network due to only having old rolling stock.
    No it’s more 5g coverage is so low as it’s so new it’s not expected to be full coverage so a bad measure for mobile coverage
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Stop trying to reason with him, or he'll post another article.
  • rick_chasey

Anyhow, what's an article about urban download speeds got to do with my use of 4g and Bluetooth headphones in rural Scotland? Aside from the Pope/Catholic observation that things tend to be less good than in cities?
    Just that if you want to listen to the radio just listen to it on a 4g app and then you have have the superior wireless headphone experience.
  • First.Aspect

Just that if you want to listen to the radio just listen to it on a 4g app and then you have have the superior wireless headphone experience.
    But if my wireless ear bud falls out of my ear when cycling, a car will drive over it. Or if it happens when I'm rowing, it will sink. And if the battery runs out, I will get bored.
  • Chr1st, we have it tough in today's society.
  • Ohhhh, the bloody misery of it all.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Chr1st, we have it tough in today's society.

Where have you been I thought you might have been kidnapped by one of Joe B’s hit squads for supporting the melon and the comb over king.
  • webboo
    I posted h*t squads on the post above and it got censored.
    It’s all your fault Focus.
  • webboo said:

I posted h*t squads on the post above and it got censored.
    It’s all your fault Focus.

OK, it's all my fault. What I want to know though is how come all you pothead horse eaters are still using/quoting twitter?
  • webboo
    What’s twitter. Do I get it cheaper if I show them my bus pass when I try to get on.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9L1N9bRRE&vl=en-GB
    I'm really not a fan of modern art, impressionism, cubism and other isms, buuuut, this just works.
  • Did he just have such a strong work ethic that some were bound to work?
  • webboo

Did he just have such a strong work ethic that some were bound to work?

I don’t think he can hear you.

• Works too.