Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    edited November 2022

Wtf is an interactive zip? Does it respond somehow when you use it, or is it just bollox?

All my zips tend to move when I activate them. 🤔🤔🤔
    Correct with regard to meaning 5, but yeah, just bollox.

interactive
    ĭn″tər-ăk′tĭv
    adjective
    1. Acting or capable of acting on each other.
    2. Of or relating to a program that responds to user activity.
    3. Of, relating to, or being a form of television entertainment in which the signal activates electronic apparatus in the viewer's home or the viewer uses the apparatus to affect events on the screen, or both.
    4. Acting with each other.
    5. Responding to the user.
    6. Capable of acting on or influencing each other. Used especially of drugs or muscles that work together so the total effect is greater than the sum of the two (or more).
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would have thought it’s the conversation you have with said zip, mainly consisting of swear words. When it gets jammed on the bits of material at the front or back of the zip. Usually when you trying put a waterproof on when it’s just started p*ssing down.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,917
    Is it a Berghaus 'InterActive" zip? It lets you zip various layers together, I guess it stands for interchangeable activewear or something.

Wtf is an interactive zip? Does it respond somehow when you use it, or is it just bollox?

• webboo said:

JimD666 said:

I suspect this is probably already in this thread somewhere but still: The "Middle of Lidl"

At what point did they think "I know the thing people really need when doing the weekly shop is a welding kit"

There may be a fine line between genius and insanity but I'm pretty sure they're balanced on it.

Isn’t the Lidl/Aldi model based on those Continental supermarkets where you can buy anything. I remember when visiting my daughter in Germany being bemused by the fact you could get a set of winter car wheels complete with tyres in the supermarket.
    I read something about this and most are repeat items, so you might wonder why there are three horses saddles in the Peckham branch of Lidl but it is because they sold the two that they stocked last year.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    monkimark said:

Is it a Berghaus 'InterActive" zip? It lets you zip various layers together, I guess it stands for interchangeable activewear or something.

Could be. It was on some advertising for an outdoor jacket, but I think it was on a pocket. Do people still use wired headphones? I think Webboo's answer is most likely, that and marketing bollox
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    .I use wired headphones. One less thing to charge up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I was quite snobby about wireless headphones, but I took the plunge with the MX4s and they are sensational. Will not return to wired for everyday use.
  • First.Aspect

I was quite snobby about wireless headphones, but I took the plunge with the MX4s and they are sensational. Will not return to wired for everyday use.
    I listen to the radio cycling and rowing. Hard to find a portable Bluetooth enabled radio and anyway if they fall out hard to find any that float, or that you can find in a ditch.

So not about sound quality for me.
  • rick_chasey
    You have a phone and 4g right?
  • First.Aspect

Nope, in a lot of places close to here, no phone signal at all.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053

Round the house, with noise reduction on, bluetooth is the way to go... yeah, I was snobby too till I tried them, loved the sound, and didn't have to take them off every time I move away from the laptop.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,776
    My headphones can do both, so when the batteries are dead I can still use wires.
  • briantrumpet

My headphones can do both, so when the batteries are dead I can still use wires.

Ditto.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Can’t fly with Bluetooth.
    But agree the Sonyvones are awesome. Have mx3.

Mrs suggests I upgrade and hand mine down. But can’t see a reason to upgrade.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022
    morstar said:

Ah, thanks. Must remember to pack the wire.
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

????
    I must be missing something as I've been doing it for years. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,776
    Still hate Bluetooth though. Bought a gaming headset to avoid
  • You've been able to fly with Bluetooth for years.
  • morstar

You've been able to fly with Bluetooth for years.

Ok, don’t fly much. They clearly lied last time I did.
  • morstar
    To clarify with a quick google.
    Not during take off and landing.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

Connecting to two devices simultaneously is surprisingly useful
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

lol christ alive. Second world country.

Yes, I imagine if you live somewhere without *phone signal* then I can see why 21st century headphones are not your bag.
  • First.Aspect

Yes, I imagine if you live somewhere without *phone signal* then I can see why 21st century headphones are not your bag.
    No there are hills here and light travels in straight lines, you d!ck.
  • rick_chasey

Come on, it's 21st Century. It's never a problem in Italy.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2022
    What currently is intriguing me is why you would need a phone signal to operate BT earphones. Download and go.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    pblakeney said:

What currently is intriguing me is why you would need a phone signal to operate BT earphones. Download and go.

Radio app on your phone, innit.

If the radio waves get there, the phone signal ought to.
  • morstar said:

To clarify with a quick google.
    Not during take off and landing.

That's interesting, it seems different airlines have different rules. Some allow it all the time, some not during takeoff and landing.

But I've been on easyjet and BA and lots of people use Bluetooth headphones during takeoff with absolutely no concern from the cabin crew.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/dec/14/uk-4g-coverage-worse-than-in-romania-and-peru-watchdog-finds

6 years ago but I'm confident it still stands, even if the details are different:

Britain’s 4G mobile phone coverage is worse than that in Albania, Panama, Peru and Romania, with users able to connect barely half the time, a government infrastructure watchdog has found.

In a major new report, the National Infrastructure Commission said the UK is being held back by poor mobile phone connectivity, as it called for an end to “digital deserts” in places that should have adequate signals such as rail routes, roads and city centres.

Countries including the US and Japan already have data volumes four to five higher than the UK, the report found.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Radio app on your phone, innit.

If the radio waves get there, the phone signal ought to.
    Radio makes sense although I'd simply choose other sources. Radio waves and phone signals are completely different. DAB radio signals are lost frequently anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect

Come on, it's 21st Century. It's never a problem in Italy.
    In the well populated alpine valleys, no, nor in ski lifts. So that covers everywhere you've been.

This might surprise you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Europe#/media/File:Population_density_by_NUTS_3_region_(2017).svg

Scottish Borders (where most of my riding takes me) has a population density <25 per sq. km, which is lower by about a factor of 4 than anywhere on the Italian mainland.

How is the phone signal in remote rural Corsica?